Chatton's religious beliefs

Use this forum to discuss the April 2020 Book of the month, "Project Tau" by Jude Austin
JGretz-7
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: The Formative Five
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgretz-7.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Chatton's religious beliefs

Post by JGretz-7 »

I'm curious as to what other readers thought of the juxtaposition of human rights and Chatton's religious beliefs against the pain acclimation sessions and the use of the cattle prods. How could Chatton spout scripture and then look the other way on a daily basis? He wouldn't tolerate profanity, but the use of physical pain was okay?
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I think like so many people, he compartmentalizes his beliefs and does not let them affect his day to day decisions. Also, of course, he does not see the projects as human. Still, even animals deserve better treatment than the projects get. He may even justify it as a type of military-style training. Still, it is sad that his beliefs did not inspire him to stand up for justice.
Bothofus07
Favorite Book: Skills of the Warramunga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bothofus07.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's Aftermath of War by Greg Kater

Post by Bothofus07 »

I had some of these same thoughts. Early in the story, Chatton seemed to be just another one-dimensional stereotype of a religious hypocrite. At least he redeemed himself somewhat by helping Kata, and maybe we can assume that his eyes were opened to the moral consequences of his behavior.
angiedeeh1
Currently Reading: Fervent:
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angiedeeh1.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by angiedeeh1 »

I think this type of dichotomy is so prevalent, maybe not on this scale, but I could be wrong. I've personally known people who will spout scripture and yet turn and do the exact opposite of what scripture says. I've known people who use scripture to justify their evil actions, twisting the words to fit their own agenda. However, I think @teacherjh is right in that he probably compartmentalizes things. His day-to-day actions are kept separate, not at all subject to the scrutiny of his belief system. I'm sure I'm guilty of it too. I may believe what scripture says but I am far from getting it right all the time, no matter what my intentions are.
Officialboluwatife
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-officialboluwatife.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by Officialboluwatife »

I see him as being hypocritical with his religious belief. Despite his military experience, he should have still been human in dealing with living things, even animals. Though he justified himself by helping Kata
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I think he compartmentalized a lot of the time, but he did step out of the room so that Tau could give Kata some of his food when he was being starved by Dennison.

I laughed aloud when Chatton started swearing like a sailor when he thought he was going to be killed. I didn’t know he had it in him. :shhh: :icon-lol:
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
La Loca Designs
Currently Reading: Hooked
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-la-loca-designs.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by La Loca Designs »

Bothofus07 wrote: 22 May 2020, 13:03 I had some of these same thoughts. Early in the story, Chatton seemed to be just another one-dimensional stereotype of a religious hypocrite. At least he redeemed himself somewhat by helping Kata, and maybe we can assume that his eyes were opened to the moral consequences of his behavior.
I agree completely with you that he was just a one-dimensional stereotype.
leareiler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leareiler.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by leareiler »

I like to think that Chatton represents those who say they are religious and preach love for all but turn a blind eye to all the bad that is happening in the real world, or worse, have a hand in it. It is frustrating to see Chatton (with all of his love and religion) be abusive to these projects, which is the point. I think the author wanted readers to see that people who are religious have to ability to ignore all that they believe and be bad in the world, or worse, use that religion to justify what they are doing.
Nelson Chocha
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: G.A.S. & Dementia
Currently Reading: ABM is B2B
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nelson-chocha.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
fav_author_id: 77547

Post by Nelson Chocha »

In the science aspect, this book is amazing among its genre! But considering it in the spiritual sphere (Theological) it is unacceptable.

Believers only believe that God is the Almighty Creator. So the idea of Human cloning is way out of line for Religious cultures.
Salina shafi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salina-shafi.html
Latest Review: The Bell Maker by Chris Bowen

Post by Salina shafi »

When looking at the novel with a religious perspective, it is difficult to decipher whether this novel is acceptable or not. In Christianity, the Lord has the power to create life. By giving this power to humans, it is against Christianity in a way. The main character didn't let his religious background affect his every decision.
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis

Post by Harty Muli »

Chatton eptomizes the real world where people use their religious views subjectively to suit their circumstances. And of course action speaks louder than words.
InventorT
Currently Reading: One Way or Another
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inventort.html
Latest Review: Better Dead Than Divorced by Lukas Thanasis Konandreas, M.D.

Post by InventorT »

I think chatton was a hypocritical in his actions and tried to make amends by aiding the escape of kata
angela roura
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angela-roura.html
Latest Review: The Tempter's Bane by Kyle McCurry

Post by angela roura »

I believe that Chatton was very hypocritical with his actions. He picked and sorted through which of his beliefs he would "follow". This very much resembles people today. Those who pick and choose which beliefs to hold hear, and which ones to ignore. It is most likely a statement on humanity/ society.
morijin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morijin.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by morijin »

I feel that Chatton represents those who say they are religious and preach love for all but turn a blind eye to all the bad that is happening in the real world, or worse, have a hand in it. I think the author wanted readers to see that people who are religious have to ability to ignore all that they believe and be bad in the world, or worse, use that religion to justify the evil they do.
Nwaogazie Goodness
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwaogazie-goodness.html
Latest Review: The Harlem Story by Danny Holst

Post by Nwaogazie Goodness »

That's to show you the hypocrisy of humans. They're okay with a type of 'sin' and not okay with the other. Hypocrisy at its peak.

Return to “Discuss "Project Tau" by Jude Austin”