Most relatable part of the book

Use this forum to discuss the April 2020 Book of the month, "Project Tau" by Jude Austin
anaplasticCerebrum
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anaplasticcerebrum.html
Latest Review: Milton at Monticello: Thomas Jefferson's Reading of John Milton by Kemmer Anderson

Re: Most relatable part of the book

Post by anaplasticCerebrum »

kdstrack wrote: 26 May 2020, 22:30 I related to Kalin's thoughts about his mother. He wondered how his family would be handling his disappearance and never lost the desire to be reunited with his loved ones.
Great point, I'm glad the author included those feelings. I get worried leaving my family when I'm across the state, so I would lose my mind if I was planets away!
anaplasticCerebrum
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anaplasticcerebrum.html
Latest Review: Milton at Monticello: Thomas Jefferson's Reading of John Milton by Kemmer Anderson

Post by anaplasticCerebrum »

InventorT wrote: 04 Jul 2020, 08:04 The most relatable part for me was when he agreed to what he was dared to do just to feel among
Yeah, that made me feel really bad for Kalin. I think it's unrealistic he manages to break into the facility of a biotech mega-corporation, but it was realistic that he tried. Just for the acceptance of people like that sadly.
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

Kata feeling homesick after spending just a few days at the facility was the most relatable to me. During my freshman undergraduate days, I wanted to see my parents and siblings so bad, that I had replayed our good times together in my mind.
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

anaplasticCerebrum wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 18:34
InventorT wrote: 04 Jul 2020, 08:04 The most relatable part for me was when he agreed to what he was dared to do just to feel among
Yeah, that made me feel really bad for Kalin. I think it's unrealistic he manages to break into the facility of a biotech mega-corporation, but it was realistic that he tried. Just for the acceptance of people like that sadly.
Realistic that he tried? Are you serious? If someone dared you to gate-crash Area 51, would you do it?
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
Banette
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-banette.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Banette »

For me the most relatable part was Kalin getting frustrated with Tau's questions. I have a lot of younger family members and there are only so many times you can answer "Why?" or "What's that?" before you get fed up.
Stephanie Keener
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swisskeener.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo! & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Stephanie Keener »

The most relatable part to me is that Kalin was willing to do anything in order to fit in with the fraternity boys at college. He desperately wanted friends, and he wanted to have that sense of acceptance and belonging. We see this so much in today’s society. People are willing to go to any length to fit in with who they think are the “right” crowd and the “popular” crowd.
Laura Mich
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-mich.html
Latest Review: A Woman's Rise To Courage by Birgit T Klare

Post by Laura Mich »

The beginning of the first chapter introduces the reader to Kalin, a chubby, spotty and almost blind without his owl glasses guy in comparision with Philip, the head of Phi Mu Alpha, the most popular guy on campus. He was suave, sophisticated, cool, handsome.(...) everything Kalin wasn't and desperately wanted to be.
Kalin was the most relatable character of the tale. His quest for perfection made the book even more realistic.
Laura Mich

Post by Laura Mich »

anaplasticCerebrum wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 18:34
I think Kalin was in denial of his appearance as compared to exquisite characters like Philip. And Yes, it is sad what people like the former undergo in quest of acceptance.
Laura Mich

Post by Laura Mich »

SwissKeener wrote: 26 Aug 2020, 21:59 The most relatable part to me is that Kalin was willing to do anything in order to fit in with the fraternity boys at college. He desperately wanted friends, and he wanted to have that sense of acceptance and belonging. We see this so much in today’s society. People are willing to go to any length to fit in with who they think are the “right” crowd and the “popular” crowd.
In my opinion, at no point in life will things be at a state of equilibrium. We can't all be queens and Kings in an empire. It is dejecting what Kalin had to go through in pursuit for embrace.
Laura Mich

Post by Laura Mich »

kljrox wrote: 28 May 2020, 14:26 The most relatable part for me was wanting to fit in or be accepted. When a person will do just about anything to feel a sense of belonging it's sad. And as you see in this book, very destructive.
Even though it helped build the character development in the book, it is sad that people like Kalin are common in today's society.
Laura Mich

Post by Laura Mich »

kdstrack wrote: 26 May 2020, 22:30 I related to Kalin's thoughts about his mother. He wondered how his family would be handling his disappearance and never lost the desire to be reunited with his loved ones.
Even though Kalin felt dejected, he knew there was still a place for him in his mother's heart. The desire to be reunited with his loved ones brought out family as a strong theme in the book.
Laura Mich

Post by Laura Mich »

ZettieOby wrote: 26 May 2020, 09:39 The aspect of being extremely shy and also being prone to bullies. Becoming spiteful and angry then wanting to retaliate.
I totally concur. Spite and anger can very annihilating as proved in the book.
Dartemis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dartemis.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by Dartemis »

I think the part I related to the most was the simple comment of Kata calling Tau "Rain Man" and I literally paused and went "oh my god, Tau is autistic" since I had a family member call me that in a similar context and I have Asperger's. I just felt connected to Tau throughout the rest of the book after that.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I thought the very beginning where first went to the institute to make “friends”. When I first went to college I would have done anything to make friends. I’m just lucky that the first people that I met were nice or there could have been trouble.

Return to “Discuss "Project Tau" by Jude Austin”