Author Topic: The Inspiration Behind Project Tau

Use this forum to discuss the April 2020 Book of the month, "Project Tau" by Jude Austin
Karten Smith
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Author Topic: The Inspiration Behind Project Tau

Post by Karten Smith »

aaurba wrote: 08 Jul 2020, 00:21 It's always nice to find and learn the motivation behind a book. I'm glad to know that the author wanted to craft a science fiction novel that focuses on the human and emotional part rather than the world-building. Thank you for sharing your inspiration, author!
Yeah, most science fiction novels I have read always focuses on the world-building. I'm happy to know that there is a novel that deviates from the norm.
Njericate19
Currently Reading: Her surrender
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Njericate19 »

JudasFm wrote: 09 Jun 2020, 00:22 Hi guys! :tiphat:

My "Ask the Author" thread has taken off (YAY! Keep the questions coming, guys! :happy-bouncygreen: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncymulticolor: ) and it seems a lot of people want to know about the inspiration behind my writing Project Tau.

Given I think it would be very disrespectful of me to just copy and paste identical answers to that same question, I created this thread to make a compilation of all my answers to that question, and answer it once and for all :D In future, anyone asking about the inspiration behind Project Tau in "Ask the Author" will be politely directed here :)

The Inspiration Behind Project Tau (AKA: Where I Got The Idea From)

Project Tau was written in 2006, ten years before being published, at a time when CGI was nowhere near as advanced as it is now. I had a literary agent (who I later fired) who expected her clients to come up with reasons why a book would work as a movie. Sci-fi back then was very high-budget compared to other genres, so I set out to write a sci-fi book that could be adapted on a low budget. This meant nothing in the way of epic space battles (which I hate writing anyway!) or alien races/civilizations (which I sort of like writing) and no elaborate planetary sets.

It also meant that Tau couldn't be some kind of weird-looking genetic experiment ;) He had to be completely human, and so he had to be a clone, and playable by any human actor. Making it about human cloning also means that none of the scientists raise an eyebrow at Kalin's sudden arrival and believe Mason/Dennison's lies about him being a Project.

So honestly, there was no single moment when I sat down and said, "Okay, I want to write a novel about cloning." I do think that a lot of other sci-fi staples - huge space wars, rebellions, androids everywhere, colonization etc - have been done to death, which is one reason why I kept the tech levels in Project Tau deliberately low (that, and there are times when using a pen and paper makes far more sense than a computer ;) The history of the worlds is explained a lot more fully in the sequels, but there are several valid, in-universe reasons why it's not as amazingly hi-tech as you might expect). Out-of-universe, AI and robots really irritate me, which is why I deliberately wrote cultural and historical reasons to avoid their existence in Project Tau.

I also have a big, big problem with dystopian settings. Am I the only sci-fi writer who's actually optimistic about the future? Granted, what happens to poor Kalin isn't particularly nice, but that's a very extreme example; any normal GenTech lab would have had him arrested and he'd probably have been expelled from college. It was just his stupendously bad luck to run into the likes of Mason and Dennison. For people saying that it would require an Evil Dystopia for this to happen, people are being enslaved, tortured, kidnapped and murdered even as I write this (and even as you read it) yet I wouldn't consider 21st-century Earth to be an Evil Dystopia. That said, Project Tau and every single one of its sequels are not written and shouldn't be taken as any kind of analogy; at the end of the day, I wrote them purely to entertain, not to preach or instruct :D

Anyway, like I said, I wanted to try and write a sci-fi story that was a little different, and which didn't rely on a lot of super, hi-tech CGI. These days, it's not such an issue, but Project Tau was written in the mid-2000s, when the effects were far more expensive and nowhere near as good as they are today. So I went with cloning as a way to accomplish this, as Tau could be portrayed by a normal human actor, and it built from there. It also made it much more plausible for Kata/Kalin to be accepted as another clone.

The final part of it was that I wanted to try something new: I wanted to see if I could make the readers sympathize with the scientists at first, and hope they could regain control over Tau and Kata, or that someone would come to their rescue, and then twist things around so that by the end of the book they'd be clamoring for Dennison's blood. This is the entire reason why the beginning of the book is actually closer to the end in terms of time.

So there you have it, folks. A desire to write a sci-fi book that wasn't dystopian, and that didn't feature AI, robots, giant spaceships, epic space battles, or aliens, and one that could be adapted with a minimum of cost, written 14 years ago at a time when budget was more important to the studios than it is now ;)
thank you soo much for giving an insight of this particular book,sci-fi is my go to genre,i shall and will give this a try
Marxell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28

Post by Marxell »

Wow you really took out time to put this piece together. I greatly enjoyed your work and hope to read more.
Munachimso_Nwaogazie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-munachimso-nwaogazie.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Munachimso_Nwaogazie »

Wow. There's so much background behind this book. Thanks for writing such an intriguing book. It sounds quite enjoyable.
Jude Austin
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jude-austin.html
Latest Review: The Palm Reader by Christopher Bowron

Post by Jude Austin »

Kevivas03 wrote: 07 Jul 2020, 16:11 Wondeful insights into how this marvel was born. You really are one of the few authors that is optmistic about the future. From what I gather from the information you have given you would not change the plot and rely on AI or robotics to tell your story even if incorporating these into a movie is cheaper these days. Keep churning out non-cliche sci-fi books they are a blessing.
Thank you :D I will definitely try! And you're right; I won't rely on AI or robotics. There are enough books out there dealing with those topics already ;)
Laura Mich
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-mich.html
Latest Review: A Woman's Rise To Courage by Birgit T Klare

Post by Laura Mich »

Thanks for the sagacity. The author had a future vision of how things would pun out.You fired an agent to do things your own way, that was a bold and wise move.
Laura Mich

Post by Laura Mich »

Marxell wrote: 09 Jul 2020, 16:54 Wow you really took out time to put this piece together. I greatly enjoyed your work and hope to read more.
The book is clearly a page-turner.
Laura Mich

Post by Laura Mich »

Karten Smith wrote: 09 Jul 2020, 05:30
aaurba wrote: 08 Jul 2020, 00:21 It's always nice to find and learn the motivation behind a book. I'm glad to know that the author wanted to craft a science fiction novel that focuses on the human and emotional part rather than the world-building. Thank you for sharing your inspiration, author!
Yeah, most science fiction novels I have read always focuses on the world-building. I'm happy to know that there is a novel that deviates from the norm.
The author's distinctiveness was so bold that the book turned out to be intriguing and insightful.
Laura Mich

Post by Laura Mich »

VivianLove wrote: 14 Jun 2020, 21:11 I appreciate this detailed explanation and your book! I was hooked from the first page! Looking forward to reading the second book :D
I'm also anticipating the second volume of this great narrative.
Laura Mich

Post by Laura Mich »

topdan30 wrote: 12 Jun 2020, 17:45 I am yet to read this book but base on the review i have read. will sure give it a try.
The book is intriguing and a page-turner. The plot thickens and the character development has you glued to your seat till the end of the tale.
deborahveader
Favorite Book: The Perfect Husband: An FBI Profiler Novel
Currently Reading: To Own Two Suns
Bookshelf Size: 164
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deborahveader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by deborahveader »

This was one of the best books I have read on here. You did such a great job of giving the characters life.

Return to “Discuss "Project Tau" by Jude Austin”