Lesson learned

Use this forum to discuss the May 2020 Book of the month, "Grace Revealed: Finding God's Strength in Any Crisis" by Frederick J. Sievert.
bookreviewmi1111
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviewmi1111.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Re: Lesson learned

Post by bookreviewmi1111 »

The one lesson that I can take away from this book is "keep on going even when life is tough. I do not believe in Jesus so that is my biggest lesson. For those who do, I think theirs would be "always have the faith in the love of God."
Samgum50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samgum50.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Samgum50 »

This book taught me how to carry on during hard times through the grace of God. The verses were very helpful as well
Florence Nalianya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-florence-nalianya.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Florence Nalianya »

I have learned a bout grace.The many undeserving things that we get from God .
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I believe the lesson is that no matter how dark is outside God is always with us.
sirbobthewise
Currently Reading: Embracing Defeat
Bookshelf Size: 222
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirbobthewise.html
Latest Review: PRAGUE: Darkness Descending by Robert Tecklenburg

Post by sirbobthewise »

B Creech wrote: 19 May 2020, 18:01 What I learned from this book is I should always be about my Father's business, helping others in any way I can. I already knew this, but the book made me think about it again!
Amen! I think one of the things that this book reminded me is that those trials in my life will be used by God in order to bless others (and myself, even if I don't feel like it during those difficult times!), and that I should always try to be aware of the guiding of the Holy Spirit to talk to certain people, even it feels a little awkward or "odd." I want to always be open to where God is leading me and available to be used by Him!
sirbobthewise
Currently Reading: Embracing Defeat
Bookshelf Size: 222
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirbobthewise.html
Latest Review: PRAGUE: Darkness Descending by Robert Tecklenburg

Post by sirbobthewise »

One of the biggest things that I learned (or, well, was reminded of) was the power of someone's testimony. A person's testimony has such power and capacity to plant seeds for Christ! I think that it is easy to believe the lie that our story is not valuable or could not help anyone (or that it might just make things reeeeally awkward if I mention something deep), but I think that's one of the biggest ways that Satan tries to put a wrench in God's work and keeps us from being active in sharing the message of Christ. While I did enjoy a lot of the author's words, analyses, and guiding questions, it was the stories that hit me the hardest. I was able to relate with some of the women, and that made the wisdom of what the author was saying ring out all the louder, which I believe was the author's intention all along.
kdhutchinson
Favorite Book: Dayscapers
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdhutchinson.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by kdhutchinson »

B Creech wrote: 19 May 2020, 18:01 What I learned from this book is I should always be about my Father's business, helping others in any way I can. I already knew this, but the book made me think about it again!

A truer statement I couldn't come up with! We all need a reminder sometimes to look at life this way and it is definitely a lasting impression from this book.
“All this happened, more or less.”
-Kurt Vonnegut
Josep22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josep22.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Josep22 »

I've learned about grace and I really love God's grace more right now. It may be difficult to understand but it goes with us all the way, especially in those moments we feel like it isn't with us.
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Maria Esposito »

I am learning that struggle and bad times can be an immense opportunity to experience God's Grace. I am also learning that we should always strive to reflect God's love toward us onto others. :)
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Maria Esposito »

sirbobthewise wrote: 20 May 2020, 07:43 One of the biggest things that I learned (or, well, was reminded of) was the power of someone's testimony. A person's testimony has such power and capacity to plant seeds for Christ! I think that it is easy to believe the lie that our story is not valuable or could not help anyone (or that it might just make things reeeeally awkward if I mention something deep), but I think that's one of the biggest ways that Satan tries to put a wrench in God's work and keeps us from being active in sharing the message of Christ. While I did enjoy a lot of the author's words, analyses, and guiding questions, it was the stories that hit me the hardest. I was able to relate with some of the women, and that made the wisdom of what the author was saying ring out all the louder, which I believe was the author's intention all along.
YES to this! Testimony is the most powerful way to pass God's message across to as many people as possible. It is so difficult to experience God through mere spirituality, we are human and we need to experience his grace through human means. I truly think that testimony is the most powerful means in this regard.
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

kdhutchinson wrote: 20 May 2020, 10:39

A truer statement I couldn't come up with! We all need a reminder sometimes to look at life this way and it is definitely a lasting impression from this book.
It brings things back into perspective!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Arite Seki
Currently Reading: The Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arite-seki.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Arite Seki »

blackpinkpurple wrote: 17 May 2020, 03:20 The lesson I learned is we are all god’s children. We are always in lord’s grace. The lord is always with us. He is there for us no matter what; he will guide us in our moments of happiness and grief. We can endure and overcome all our problems if we just believed in the lord. There will be problems in life but the lord will help us overcome it; so don’t pray that there be no obstacles in life, have faith in the lord and ask for strength and support to power through the obstacles present in life.
I'm still learning how to accept this, but this is beautifully put
Miraphery
Favorite Book: Worldlines
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miraphery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Miraphery »

I learned that God's grace is available in times of crisis and victory is assured with God.
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death 
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

Post by Laura Lee »

Pstodumeje wrote: 17 May 2020, 20:07 I learned that we should not see the past as a liability, instead, we should see it as a stepping stone by God. Gods has a reason for everything. It's a big lesson to all of us. We shouldn't settle for the past. We must move up to greater things and give glory to God. We should also try to encourage each other.
This is such an important lesson to keep in mind. And when you know a greater power is in control, you don't have to, as you state it, "see the past as a liability." Instead we can cling to the promise in Romans 8:28: “And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.”
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death 
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

Post by Laura Lee »

bookreviewmi1111 wrote: 19 May 2020, 21:42 The one lesson that I can take away from this book is "keep on going even when life is tough. I do not believe in Jesus so that is my biggest lesson. For those who do, I think theirs would be "always have the faith in the love of God."
Yes! Never give up. Who was it that said, "It's not the number of times you get knocked down, but whether you keep getting back up"?
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx

Return to “Discuss "Grace Revealed " by Frederick J. Sievert”