Overall rating and opinion of "Grace Revealed " by Frederick J. Sievert

Use this forum to discuss the May 2020 Book of the month, "Grace Revealed: Finding God's Strength in Any Crisis" by Frederick J. Sievert.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Overall rating and opinion of "Grace Revealed " by Frederick J. Sievert

Post by gali »

This is a discussion topic for the April 2020 Book of the month, "Grace Revealed " by Frederick J. Sievert

What is your overall opinion of the book? What do you like most about it? What do you like least? Will you recommend the book to other people? Why or why not?

Please remember to add your actual rating using the book's page on: Bookshelves.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 672
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

This is a good piece that might encourage readers, especially those seeking spiritual comfort and enlightenment. The author defines Grace (also undeserved kindness), stating its importance. With conviction and supportive testimonies, the author explains how you can attain the undeserved kindness from God and how it can affect you as an individual.

My only problem is with some parts of the material where the author doesn’t provide a clear distinction between God and Jesus. At some point, he speaks of the two as one person and in other points as two different people. This might sound confusing for readers who are new to the divine teaching.

I like the Bible example of transformation incorporated in the material, which helps the reader to understand God’s undeserved kindness and know its purpose. Additionally, there are cited Bible verses addressed to specific readers, who are going through trials and are seeking comfort.

That said, I rate the book at [/b]3 out of 4 stars[/b]. I feel like some teachings in the material need a better explanation. There are some that I don’t agree with, like, how God views us as individuals and the lack of a clear distinction between God and Jesus.

The book will impress Christians or any reader looking for some good spiritual refreshments.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Looking forward to reading the book in its entirety. So far, I like that it incorporates specific emotions--grief, depression etc and shows how those things could be overcome by having faith in God.

As someone who is not completely familiar with the Bible, I sometimes found the verses slightly overwhelming, which could just be a matter of preference.

My favorite aspect is that the book is comprised of mini stories.

I am about halfway into the book and I give it 3 out of 4 stars.
Falling4Ever
Currently Reading: Titans
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falling4ever.html
Latest Review: G.E.M.S. by Daphne Valcourt

Post by Falling4Ever »

Although I don't really partake in religious beliefs, I've heard about this book helping with stress and anxiety, so I might check it out!
Alphonsius
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alphonsius.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by Alphonsius »

I'm particularly captivated by the three elements laid out in this book:
Experiencing crisis,
Receiving grace, and
Returning grace to others.

They really encourage me on my spiritual journey. A journey that I mostly feel like giving up when faced with challenges. Grace revealed is a companion on a Christian journey and I feel that it has a lot to contribute to the Christian family. Reading the sample of the book, I get sense of being a "wounded healer" as a Christian.

I will rate this book 3 out of 4 Stars because I have not read the entire book. I only read the sample on Kindle and did not notice any error or profanity. Looking forward to reading the entire book in the nearest future.
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I am still reading, but so far I love the book. I especially like the individual stories. I am familiar with all of the scriptures so far and love reading them again. If I were to rate the book right now without finishing it, I would give it 3 out of 4 stars.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Tarun sai9
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Tarun sai9 »

My favorite aspect is that the book is comprised of mini stories.
My only problem is with some parts of the material where the author doesn’t provide a clear distinction between God and Jesus. At some point, he speaks of the two as one person and in other points as two different people. This might sound confusing for readers who are new to the divine teaching
They really encourage me on my spiritual journey. A journey that I mostly feel like giving up when faced with challenges.
book_fanatic_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-fanatic.html
Latest Review: Wonder by Jon Trovato

Post by book_fanatic_ »

The topics covered by the author through short stories are common and thus, people could relate themselves. This helps people to find the soothing feel about God's grace and his blessing over everyone. The book tends to encourage and motivate people to keep moving ahead, overcoming the difficulties and finding His grace. I've not finished the book yet but loved it so far.
She read books as one would breathe air, to fill up and live. - Annie Dillard
Latest Review: Wonder by Jon Trovato
Ari Martinez
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Victoria's Choice
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ari-martinez.html
Latest Review: Finding A Way Forward by Karen Games

Post by Ari Martinez »

I love that it consists of short stories because it is sometimes hard for people to understand religious matters explained in other ways, especially if they are beginners in religion. This book is very encouraging and I would especially recommend reading it now, with all the stress and hard times in the world right now, this book would help encourage people to keep moving forward with faith and God's grace.
Marina-S-M1
Currently Reading: The Song of Achilles
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marina-s-m1.html
Latest Review: Who Says, Women Can't Lead? by James Rondinone

Post by Marina-S-M1 »

I really enjoyed how much emphasis the author puts on how attainable forgiveness is! It's really inspiring, especially for people who fear that they have run out of places to turn to. My only problem was the repeated mention of sexual abuse without a real trigger warning, but other than that, I think the book was well written and informative. I would recommend to others, regardless of their religious background. It is always interesting to learn about other faiths!! :D
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

Alphonsius wrote: 02 May 2020, 14:08 I'm particularly captivated by the three elements laid out in this book:
Experiencing crisis,
Receiving grace, and
Returning grace to others.

They really encourage me on my spiritual journey. A journey that I mostly feel like giving up when faced with challenges. Grace revealed is a companion on a Christian journey and I feel that it has a lot to contribute to the Christian family. Reading the sample of the book, I get sense of being a "wounded healer" as a Christian.

I will rate this book 3 out of 4 Stars because I have not read the entire book. I only read the sample on Kindle and did not notice any error or profanity. Looking forward to reading the entire book in the nearest future.
I like these three elements too. I find this book very encouraging.
nageena_rasheed
Currently Reading: The Talking Baobab Tree
Bookshelf Size: 97

Post by nageena_rasheed »

Being a religious person can help one to get all the given concepts of story. I definitely think it is a good read. When in trials, many people think that they are not worthy of any kindness, but definitely this book paves a way for them to see light that God is not just there for good people, He loves his creations at their worst! Anybody can get relief in this concept and many will relate as they are being presented in short stories.
Kelsey Fulton
Favorite Book: Villette
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsey-fulton.html
Latest Review: Man Shark by Gerald Knight
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Kelsey Fulton »

Sievert's approach to this book is that everyone can receive God's grace. This is encouraging for believers, especially those going through crises. I love all the different stories of struggle, redemption, and triumph, told by various people in various circumstances. Testimony is very powerful; it can change a person's heart.

I do think there should be some kind of trigger warning for sensitive topics, such as the childhood abuse in the first story. I didn't expect the book to start out so heavy, particularly after the uplifting tone of the preface. However, this contributes to the very real quality of the stories.

I really appreciate Sievert identifying the three phases of the Christian experience: experiencing a crisis, receiving grace, and returning grace to others. This is a clear way to explain grace to people who have never experienced it before or even to people who have forgotten. While nice as a succinct list, I think this process of grace is more of a cycle. Many people lose faith and discover it again throughout their lives, going back and forth between receiving God's grace and ignoring it. I'd like to see this touched on more, but perhaps that is for a different book!

Overall, this is a refreshing read for believers of God. It can truly be appreciated at any time, whether you are going through a crisis or are simply lacking in something. I also think it would make a great "sympathy" gift to encourage struggling loved ones. Though I haven't finished this book, I would give it a 4 out of 4 stars so far.
"Everything is nothing, with a twist." -Kurt Vonnegut
Deborah kalu
Currently Reading: A Giant Below
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by Deborah kalu »

I like this book(grace revealed) because the author narrated many interesting stories of people true life experience in order for everyone to learn from whether young or old.and also,bible verses to help your spiritual growth. To me,I will recommend this book to Christian homes because I find it very good for premature Christians,the book contain 80%of what a good Christian should learn and put into practice.
Twylla
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Favorite Book: Project Tau
Currently Reading: Intwine
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-twylla.html
Latest Review: Contagion Domination by William Nisol
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by Twylla »

I was very inspired by the stories of faith in this book. Fortunately I dedicated my life to God as a child and I was fortunate to be raised in a Christian home. So I didn't find God in a crisis and my life has never been in shambles. That makes me so thankful.

Return to “Discuss "Grace Revealed " by Frederick J. Sievert”