I Beg to Differ.

Use this forum to discuss the May 2020 Book of the month, "Grace Revealed: Finding God's Strength in Any Crisis" by Frederick J. Sievert.
TCG
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tcg.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Re: I Beg to Differ.

Post by TCG »

You are correct in your analysis. But the author is not wrong either. There's need for balance in these biblical truths. Therefore, the both believes are true, they will only apply at different circumstances or situation in life.

Vic Chimezie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vic-chimezie.html
Latest Review: One If by Carol B Allen

Post by Vic Chimezie »

As humans born into sin, we are far from perfect. Our redemption came through Christ Jesus. His grace is what makes us fit to be saved and called perfect. Therefore, I agree that God cannot see us ordinarily as perfect if Christ did not die for us.

centfie
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 36
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 250
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 18
Currently Reading: The Touch
Bookshelf Size: 465
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-centfie.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by centfie »

God sees as individuals, and because of Jesus we have been reconciled with him. He knows we are dust, his grace covers all that. That's why it's grace, we don't deserve it but he gives it to us.
“If you don't have time to read, you don't have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that.” Stephen King

anaplasticCerebrum
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anaplasticcerebrum.html
Latest Review: Stand Firm to be Free! by Jan Schaffner

Post by anaplasticCerebrum »

As others have said, I think you and the author are both correct. Different approaches are needed for different circumstances. I think the idea that God only sees Jesus in us is designed to unite us all.

Jen Kamish
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Jen Kamish »

I agree that religion is a very individual subject and it is not fair for us to generalize/impose our beliefs on others. I have noticed that a lot of these books on here seem to have religious elements--is this a required theme or does it just happen to be a common interest?

NDeMeer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndemeer.html
Latest Review: Exiles' Escape by W. Clark Boutwell

Post by NDeMeer »

An interesting point is made here! I believe that God sees all our sins, flaws and weaknesses, as well as our strengths and positives. I believe he sees us as individuals. Thank you for pointing this out!

Christiana+-
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christiana.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Christiana+- »

It's just only the sacrifice of Christ that brought about this Grace. God is too holy to behold our characters and ways of life so the only thing He do looking at Jesus on us.

David_Kariuki
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by David_Kariuki »

Nerea wrote:
01 May 2020, 01:18
I like how the author defines Grace (undeserved kindness) and reveals how it affects us. But I beg to differ a little bit with the author’s sentiments in location 343, paragraph 2 where the author talks about how God views us as individuals. He says;

“To be in Christ means that when God looks at you, He doesn’t see all your sins, failures, and rough spots. When you are in Christ, God just sees Jesus. You may see the scars, the mess, and the problems, but God sees perfection in Jesus.”

I don’t know if I’m the one who got it wrong. Feel free to correct me. My issue comes in where the author says, God does not see our effects of imperfection, but He sees perfection in Jesus. I believe God is aware of all our sinful inclinations, and He wants us to change and become useful vessels in His service. To achieve that, He has used His word and His Holy Spirit to help us correct our weaknesses so that we can attain perfection/holiness. He provides comfort whenever we feel low, through the Bible, and give us the strength that will help us endure all our “rough spots.” For God to draw us closer to Christ, He chooses to look at the good in us despite our bad tendencies, failures, and trials. (Ref; Genesis 6:5, Psalms 51:5, Isaiah 48:17,18, 1 peter 1:14-16, 2 Corinthians 1:3,4, John 6:44, Psalms 103:12-14).

Does God only “see perfection in Jesus,” or is He also interested in us as individuals?
I believe that man is a sinful being by nature. God and man meet at the cross, because Christ was given out by God for the sake of man. The Bible clearly states that those who are in Christ, are a new creation, so in essence God knows our individual identity, but sees Christ when He looks at us. I believe, that the moment we repent of our sins and proclaim Christ as our Lord and Savior, Christ becomes our identity.

Chikom
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chikom.html
Latest Review: Spirit of the Season by Brian Lamont

Post by Chikom »

I think we as humans have no ability to know how God views us. God is a powerful supernatural being and we cant assume that when He sees us he sees Jesus in us. Jesus died for humans so that His blood can wash away our sins in God's eyes. But in my humble opinion , I don't think when God Sees us He sees Jesus. The issue at hand is debatable defending your understanding of this book and the Bible at large.

Return to “Discuss "Grace Revealed " by Frederick J. Sievert”