favorite story

Use this forum to discuss the May 2020 Book of the month, "Grace Revealed: Finding God's Strength in Any Crisis" by Frederick J. Sievert.
Susmita Biswas
Currently Reading: Fuzzy Bunny Slippers
Bookshelf Size: 595
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susmita-biswas.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Re: favorite story

Post by Susmita Biswas »

My favourite part of this novel was the positivity and inspiration that was shared. I liked reading it, and experienced a huge amount of peace.
Susmita Roy :techie-studyinggray:
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Maria Esposito »

I liked both stories that related to incarceration. More specifically, the story of the man whose son is serving time in prison. It was heartwarming to read about how the Lord operated through him and inspired him to open other parents' eyes to the sad reality of juvenile drug addiction.
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Maria Esposito »

Twylla wrote: 04 May 2020, 15:14 Coss Marte's story was my favorite. I listened to the Ted Talk he gave about his business Conbody. I started doing his Conbody workout, and I am on my way to having the prison body I have always wanted! It was so funny - he said in his Ted Talk that when he got out of prison and he was thinking of starting his fitness studio, he zeroed in on his target market - ladies in yoga pants. That's me! How did he know that ladies in yoga pants would love his workout? I don't know, but at 2:00 every afternoon, I get up and do my prison workout. I don't need equipment and I just need a small area. Coss Marte seems like a good guy! I am so glad he turned his life around and found the Lord!
I loved his insight and story as well! I have an incarcerated friend who confessed to me that the only good thing about prison is that he was able to work out and get the body he always dreamed of. I loved reading your commentary about how he inspired you to work hard to get your "prison body"!
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"
Dannyphery
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dannyphery.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Dannyphery »

I really loved how Jane was able to stay strong and fight through the challenges of life which she was faced with. She held onto her faith and that was commendable.
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death 
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

Post by Laura Lee »

A lot of the stories, quite honestly, were difficult for me to read. As an empath, it's tough for me to read of devastatingly painful experiences. One I appreciated in particular, though, was the Vietnam vet's story. My mind just went blank on his name, but I'm close to someone who struggles with all the things that go along with PTSD which, as we all know, so many vets deal with. That and the chronic pain. I have a daughter that deals with chronic pain. Basically, the take away is that whatever you need, in whatever circumstances you find yourself struggling, God is there to help, encourage, support, and sustain. This reminder meant a lot.
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
Tonika632
Currently Reading: White Night
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonika632.html
Latest Review: Chemicals and Christians by Martha McLaughlin

Post by Tonika632 »

Overall, I love how Sievert wrote about putting faith in God whether you are down or up; he lifts you when you are down, and you praise him after that. It's that simple.
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adedayo-23.html
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin

Post by Adedayo+23 »

Jajachris wrote: 09 May 2020, 12:18 Jane's story kind of reminded me of Job's story in the bible. He lost everything but not his faith and in the end he was rewarded for his faith, just as it was with Jane.
Exactly! You nailed the comparison quite well.
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin
Tonika632

Post by Tonika632 »

Adedayo+23 wrote: 21 May 2020, 19:23
Jajachris wrote: 09 May 2020, 12:18 Jane's story kind of reminded me of Job's story in the bible. He lost everything but not his faith and in the end he was rewarded for his faith, just as it was with Jane.
Exactly! You nailed the comparison quite well.
I agree, I really thought that was such a beautiful comparison...
Tonika632

Post by Tonika632 »

Susmita Biswas wrote: 20 May 2020, 04:12 My favourite part of this novel was the positivity and inspiration that was shared. I liked reading it, and experienced a huge amount of peace.
I agree with you, I just felt right reading it.
WardahEbrahim
Currently Reading: Little Women
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wardahebrahim.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by WardahEbrahim »

B Creech wrote: 02 May 2020, 14:32
AntonelaMaria wrote: 01 May 2020, 04:40 Which character or story resonated with you the most?
I found this book owerwhealming to read, especially as I read it in one sitting. I think there are many stories here that were hard to read. I could understand turning to faith in hardships. I liked reading about Jane. I am in awe of her strangth especially after losing so much, her dad, son and then taking care of her mom. The life just kept on punching her with blow after blow. She found solace in her faith. I find that admirable. It would be so easy to blame God for so much heartache.
I think it is actually easier to turn to faith in hardships than it is when all is well. However, we should have faith during the good times and the bad. Jane certainly was pummeled over and over again with trials, but she must have had a strong foundation for her faith. I think the key here is that she found solace in it. That proves to me she has faith when things are good and even when they are bad. Many times we don't think about God until something comes along to upset our lives. It was Jane's faith that helped her get through all she had to face.
This is very true! It is easier to remember your faith in hard times. Which is good/fine because the faith gives us console. I agree entirely.
Clorinda Donovan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clorinda-donovan.html
Latest Review: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog by Michelle Lander Feinberg

Post by Clorinda Donovan »

Jane had a terrible lot in life but her finding solace in faith is utterly human. I think very few people turn to faith without a hardship of some sort.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.

Confucius
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: Devine Enquiries by Martin Hull

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 01 May 2020, 04:40 Which character or story resonated with you the most?
I found this book owerwhealming to read, especially as I read it in one sitting. I think there are many stories here that were hard to read. I could understand turning to faith in hardships. I liked reading about Jane. I am in awe of her strangth especially after losing so much, her dad, son and then taking care of her mom. The life just kept on punching her with blow after blow. She found solace in her faith. I find that admirable. It would be so easy to blame God for so much heartache.
I think it is actually easier to turn to faith in hardships than it is when all is well. However, we should have faith during the good times and the bad. Jane certainly was pummeled over and over again with trials, but she must have had a strong foundation for her faith. I think the key here is that she found solace in it. That proves to me she has faith when things are good and even when they are bad. Many times we don't think about God until something comes along to upset our lives. It was Jane's faith that helped her get through all she had to face.
I agree with your views. It's so much harder to draw close to God when all is well. Christian gatherings begin to seem like a waste of time and praying becomes a burden. On the other hand, when faced with challenges, humans become desperate. In their desperation, they are willing to turn to anything that offers hope of respite.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Michelle Fred wrote: 22 May 2020, 16:04
I agree with your views. It's so much harder to draw close to God when all is well. Christian gatherings begin to seem like a waste of time and praying becomes a burden. On the other hand, when faced with challenges, humans become desperate. In their desperation, they are willing to turn to anything that offers hope of respite.
Exactly! I catch myself going through the motions instead of really praying in earnest when all is well with my life! It becomes a habit instead of a desire! But when problems arise I get serious about seeking God when I should have been serious about it all the time!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

For me, Jane won my heart. It is really hard for someone to hold on to an "unseen" force, especially when adversity is from visible forces.
Despite her loss if her loved ones, she kept the faith- that was very inspiring for me.
I reflected on themany tribulations I have faced in life, and had enough reason to keep on tract.
Bet on Me! :idea:
Marty_Kelly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marty-kelly.html
Latest Review: Genetic Spurn - The Reality? by M. R. Coates - Rutgers Univ. GSM

Post by Marty_Kelly »

Looks like an interesting read. I am adding this to my bookshelf.

Return to “Discuss "Grace Revealed " by Frederick J. Sievert”