Three phases of a Life of a Christian

Use this forum to discuss the May 2020 Book of the month, "Grace Revealed: Finding God's Strength in Any Crisis" by Frederick J. Sievert.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Re: Three phases of a Life of a Christian

Post by AntonelaMaria »

aacodreanu wrote: 21 May 2020, 05:29
espo wrote: 20 May 2020, 12:57
Sushan wrote: 02 May 2020, 22:36 According to the author, there are three phases in the life of a Christian; Facing a crisis, Receiving grace, and returning grace to others.

What is your opinion about this? Have you ever done it? Is it practical?
I can totally relate to that - and each story in the book proves that this is the case. I often notice myself drifting away from God and spirituality when everything is going well. Then, something unexpected happens to remind me that I can't really do much on my own - that's not sustainable. And that is the moment I understand that I really do need God's help and guidance. When I overcome hardships, I usually feel very inspired to give back to others - in the form of advice, guidance, or practical help. So yes, I very much agree with the author!
I do not think this is the rule. I believe there are the happy ones who believe without going through a crisis first. And there are the other happy ones who understand that they lack or miss something and come, of their own will, seeking for the Grace.
I think you are right. This shouldn't or couldn't be strict rule.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

sirbobthewise wrote: 20 May 2020, 08:35
edztan15 wrote: 19 May 2020, 23:05 It makes sense, though maybe we can already share grace to others even if we aren't in those 3 phases yet?
This is a really interesting thought that I think I will spend some more time with! :) I think what the author intends, though, is to emphasize the "likelihood" of being able to give grace. I think we are more likely to be able to give grace once we have received grace (1 John 4:19 idea), because then we know more of what it looks like and we are more desirous of wanting to extend that grace to others. Likewise, after we have received grace, I think we also just have more space for others. In some ways (in my own naive thoughts), I feel like receiving grace is like being healed (or starting the journey of healing once you initially receive and accept the grace of God). You may have to be healed to some degree yourself before you can begin the journey of helping other people with their healing. If not, then it's easier to burn out. That's just a thought, though.

Something else that popped into my head in regard to the formatting of the phases is that, probably, we go back and forth between phases 2 and 3 throughout our life, too. There are certainly times when I need to take a step back and re-align, reminding myself, with the fact that I am under God's grace (so that I can be fueled up properly to help others).

I think the author intends for these phases to be thought of as helpful guidelines rather than the rule. It's good to ask those kinds of questions, though, for sure! So interesting!
This gave me something to think about too. Really interesting!! It makes sense that we go back and forward between phases two and three. I love that you brought it up as a healing reference because I think about it like that too. Excellent point!!
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
ErikaP13
Favorite Author: Terry Brooks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erikap13.html
Latest Review: The Eye of Illumination by W.C. Gorski
fav_author_id: 5000

Post by ErikaP13 »

I appreciate the sentiment of these three phases. But I think it's more of a cycle than three separate phases. It's a nice idea to keep in mind though. Knowing that you can take the grace you receive from a current crisis and in turn, help someone else with it.
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

I find these phrases to be true and practical. I believe that once you receive grace and overcome a difficult situation, you want to give back grace to others so that they can solve their problems as well.
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

Personally, I have not faced a huge crisis, so I have not lived what the author is suggesting, but I have seen these phases in other people's lives.
Tonika632
Currently Reading: White Night
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonika632.html
Latest Review: Chemicals and Christians by Martha McLaughlin

Post by Tonika632 »

I faced many crises, I have received Grace and I am trying to give Grace back to others even though it is sometimes hard. Whenever I feel down, I always have someone to talk with...
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

Maconstewart wrote: 07 May 2020, 12:47 I don't believe that crisis is a prerequisite to finding God's grace or Christianity.
I tend to agree with you. For some people, a crisis can be a trigger for change. I don't see this as a rule that applies to everyone, though.
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Post by Acwoolet »

I haven’t read the book yet, but I completely agree with the phases. We all face things in life where we either need to be forgiven or to forgive others. As a Christian I try to do my best in this. But I think it works for everyone to be content in life.
Deborah kalu
Currently Reading: A Giant Below
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by Deborah kalu »

Becccccca+98 wrote: 19 May 2020, 17:43 I think the three phases are fairly accurate. A few years ago, my brother was in a bad accident that badly damaged his face. He had a 50/50 survival rate. Thanks to God's Grace my brother was saved. We then shared his story in the church, as a testimony to encourage others and give hope to the hopeless. Overall, I think that these phases are pretty accurate but at the same time I think that it differs from person to person. I think this is because some people are more comfortable with sharing God's Grace, where as others are not as comfortable yet. :)
Yes, others are not comfortable even to share Gods grace with anybody. They feel it is God responsibility.
Deborah kalu

Post by Deborah kalu »

Tonika632 wrote: 21 May 2020, 12:39 I faced many crises, I have received Grace and I am trying to give Grace back to others even though it is sometimes hard. Whenever I feel down, I always have someone to talk with...
I agree with you, given grace back to others is a difficult one I must confess.
Deborah kalu

Post by Deborah kalu »

Nickolas Farmakis wrote: 21 May 2020, 08:13 Personally, I have not faced a huge crisis, so I have not lived what the author is suggesting, but I have seen these phases in other people's lives.
Wow!!indeed ur life is a testimony. To be this privileged??, it is nothing but the power of God grace.
Becccccca+98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becccccca-98.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Becccccca+98 »

Maconstewart wrote: 07 May 2020, 12:47 I don't believe that crisis is a prerequisite to finding God's grace or Christianity.
That's true. I don't think that a crisis is a prerequisite, but I do think that when we do go through a major crisis we are more likely to recognize God's grace; compared to when you're not in a crisis. I guess maybe when we're faced with a crisis, we appreciate God's grace more and as such are more likely to recognize it. :)
Rwill0988
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 499
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rwill0988.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by Rwill0988 »

Think that some people are more inclined to look inward when facing a crisis. In doing this, they search and find something bigger than themselves and become more inclined to receive Grace. What is beautiful is the third aspect of these phases and that is returning Grace to others. There is something beautiful about these phases and that it comes in a trinity.
“Give me a man or woman who has read a thousand books and you give me an interesting companion. Give me a man or woman who has read perhaps three and you give me a very dangerous enemy indeed.” ~ The Witching Hour by Anne Rice
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I would agree depending on what you consider as "returning grace". I would like to think of it as being kind and compassionate towards our fellow men, but I think the author means proselytizing, and I'm not in favor of that.
Jorge Leon Salazar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jorge-leon-salazar.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Jorge Leon Salazar »

Many times it is difficult to carry the work of God and show love and compassion to everyone, even knowing that it is the right thing to do. Day-to-day activities frequently consume you. Nor have I experienced situations like the ones mentioned in the book but as a habit I thank God constantly.

Return to “Discuss "Grace Revealed " by Frederick J. Sievert”