Three phases of a Life of a Christian

Use this forum to discuss the May 2020 Book of the month, "Grace Revealed: Finding God's Strength in Any Crisis" by Frederick J. Sievert.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Re: Three phases of a Life of a Christian

Post by Jackie Holycross »

Sushan wrote: 02 May 2020, 22:36 According to the author, there are three phases in the life of a Christian; Facing a crisis, Receiving grace, and returning grace to others.

What is your opinion about this? Have you ever done it? Is it practical?
I agree with this idea. Being able to help others with my experiences makes going through the trials worth it.
Nath_chuks
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nath-chuks.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Nath_chuks »

I think the author is right. I can recall when I had strong anger issues. I discovered there is an error and decided to change.
Grace found me and today, I speak to some of my friends and counsel them against it.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Nath_chuks wrote: 11 May 2020, 17:11 I think the author is right. I can recall when I had strong anger issues. I discovered there is an error and decided to change.
Grace found me and today, I speak to some of my friends and counsel them against it.
Thank you for sharing. That is great.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
bookreviewmi1111
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviewmi1111.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by bookreviewmi1111 »

Sushan wrote: 02 May 2020, 22:36 According to the author, there are three phases in the life of a Christian; Facing a crisis, Receiving grace, and returning grace to others.

What is your opinion about this? Have you ever done it? Is it practical?
I think it's something practical in Christianity. Spiritual and other religions also take about something like this. You hurt, then you find a way to get out and that way is something higher than you (that you can call that God or something else)
bookreviewmi1111
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Alphonsius wrote: 02 May 2020, 23:54 I really felt touched by the three phases the author outlined. That is: Experiencing crisis, Receiving grace, and returning grace to others.
I think I kinda believe in this. Not only in religious teaching but it also true for real life. You experience difficulty, got over it, and teach others how to.
bookreviewmi1111
Currently Reading:

Deborah kalu wrote: 04 May 2020, 19:13 The author totally remind me of what I had gone through that made me even to misbehave in different ways because I felt my life has come to an end.but, do you know what?despite all my wrongs his grace is still sufficient to me that I keep wondering what kind of God is this?????? So,when ever I saw anyone in the shoe I was before, I make sure I stretch my hand to help in the possible way I can.yes,the author is very correct about the three phases in the life of a Christian. And mine is practical. Thank you for bringing this up.
It sounds beautiful I think this can be a "life progress", not only for Christians. That's why there are people who get over there crisis then help other people because they understand the feeling.
bookreviewmi1111
Currently Reading:

djr6090 wrote: 05 May 2020, 09:48 I wonder why it is that we recognize God's grace most when we are in crisis. The evidence of His power is around us every day. Returning grace to others supposes you have learned to carry it with you and keep it in reserve. The more you give, the more you get.
I agree. Taking live is not necessarily come before receiving love. But they work both ways.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I think it's more likely for us to recognize God's grace when we're in a crisis because that is when our prayers and concentration on the divine are most intense. I once heard this tendency phrased as "putting God up on a shelf" like he's just a decoration of our lives that we can show off when we are in good places and not so needy of grace. I think that's an apt description of what many of us do.
Dreamer80
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dreamer80.html
Latest Review: How Trends Make You A Smarter Investor by Gabrielle Dahms

Post by Dreamer80 »

The three phases were totally relatable. We always remember God when we're in crisis, and that's the high-time to return to him. And after we realize that, we tend to be more forgiving and understanding towards those who are still struggling.
gracedivine
Currently Reading: Project Tau
Bookshelf Size: 27

Post by gracedivine »

These phases mentioned here are not rigid. I mean, like the last comment, the grace of God comes in many ways. It all depends on what your challenge is. God's grace can come in the form of a breakthrough for one who is in dire need of help. It could also appear as a solution to a critical problem. Or simply an answer to a question.
Estrellah254
Currently Reading: Vegan for Her: The Woman's Guide to Being Healthy and Fit on a Plant-Based Diet
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-estrellah254.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Estrellah254 »

I agree with the author. Christian experience these three phases in life. Personally, I have experienced this and it is very practical.
Nujudee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nujudee.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Nujudee »

Receiving Grace happens to be one of the best gifts a Christian can receive.
This comes after salvation and Holy Ghost spit impartation.
Once a believer receives grace, he is charged for any crisis and can also impart people's lives.
kutlee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kutlee.html
Latest Review: Inviting Muslims to Christ by Randall Ireland

Post by kutlee »

A Crisis may never come. But Grace is always there. I have had some hard times but those are not the reason I need Grace. The grace I have received is that which bonds me to my heavenly father..giving me a right to be called a child of God. Yes..I need to share with others this same grace..I do try my best.
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

Kelyn wrote: 12 May 2020, 15:44 I think it's more likely for us to recognize God's grace when we're in a crisis because that is when our prayers and concentration on the divine are most intense. I once heard this tendency phrased as "putting God up on a shelf" like he's just a decoration of our lives that we can show off when we are in good places and not so needy of grace. I think that's an apt description of what many of us do.
Hi Kelyn. I never heard that expression. Quite descriptive. Like the take God off the shelf only when we need Him. I like the image and it does describe the book's self-centeredness. Please don't misunderstand, I feel for those who have witnessed in the book, and I recognize how powerful the revelations are that they had, I just sometimes despair that people use the "shelf" for display, not for day to day.
Deborah kalu
Currently Reading: A Giant Below
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by Deborah kalu »

gracedivine wrote: 13 May 2020, 10:07 These phases mentioned here are not rigid. I mean, like the last comment, the grace of God comes in many ways. It all depends on what your challenge is. God's grace can come in the form of a breakthrough for one who is in dire need of help. It could also appear as a solution to a critical problem. Or simply an answer to a question.
I agree with you.many of us don't even know that the life we are living is the best grace ever.

Return to “Discuss "Grace Revealed " by Frederick J. Sievert”