Grace Revealed vs The Shack

Use this forum to discuss the May 2020 Book of the month, "Grace Revealed: Finding God's Strength in Any Crisis" by Frederick J. Sievert.
MorganKnightOfficial
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morganknightofficial.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Grace Revealed vs The Shack

Post by MorganKnightOfficial »

This book, in the sense that "grace and mercy" is a large theme in the book, reminded me a lot of "The Shack", as both books deal with God's grace and redemption, as well as finding God within a crisis.
Do you agree? And which one of these books would you rather read during a crisis?
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

I don't know why would we even compare them? Both seem very subjective to the reader. It is how you perceive them. I like the diverse topics in this book. For me personally The Shak was more about grief and closure and God's existence...whereas here we have much more situation to identity with. Nevertheless, I would recommend both.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Faithful Oso
Currently Reading: Provoked To Anger
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Faithful Oso »

The Theme Grace, applies in both books.. It just depends on the reader's point or view or the perspective in which the reader reads the books.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I absolutely loved "The Shack!" It is one of the best books I've ever read! However, in a crisis I would prefer to read "Grace Revealed." For me, "The Shack" was more about one central character in search of finding out if God is real. In "Grace Revealed" there are stories about different people that share their experiences. The stories remind you that you are not alone as far as difficult situations in lif, and can help you get refocused. Both books show God's grace.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

B Creech wrote: 25 May 2020, 01:31 I absolutely loved "The Shack!" It is one of the best books I've ever read! However, in a crisis I would prefer to read "Grace Revealed." For me, "The Shack" was more about one central character in search of finding out if God is real. In "Grace Revealed" there are stories about different people that share their experiences. The stories remind you that you are not alone as far as difficult situations in lif, and can help you get refocused. Both books show God's grace.
Exactly B. I think that this book is more relevant to a crisis. And it is a book that can be reread or even better read one story at the time. I think one doesn't have to read the whole book to understand it or get the meaning of it...and overall, the comfort that the message of the book provides.
Sunday diamond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-diamond.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sunday diamond »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 23 May 2020, 09:07 I don't know why would we even compare them? Both seem very subjective to the reader. It is how you perceive them. I like the diverse topics in this book. For me personally The Shak was more about grief and closure and God's existence...whereas here we have much more situation to identity with. Nevertheless, I would recommend both.
Examples of situations to identify with made the former distinct from the later. From the look of things here both books are valuable to me being a religious person
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Sunday diamond wrote: 25 May 2020, 10:54
AntonelaMaria wrote: 23 May 2020, 09:07 I don't know why would we even compare them? Both seem very subjective to the reader. It is how you perceive them. I like the diverse topics in this book. For me personally The Shak was more about grief and closure and God's existence...whereas here we have much more situation to identity with. Nevertheless, I would recommend both.
Examples of situations to identify with made the former distinct from the later. From the look of things here both books are valuable to me being a religious person
Yes, I believe so too. They are both valuable. I wouldn't want to compare them at all. You never know which book will resonate more with someone.
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 25 May 2020, 09:51
B Creech wrote: 25 May 2020, 01:31 I absolutely loved "The Shack!" It is one of the best books I've ever read! However, in a crisis I would prefer to read "Grace Revealed." For me, "The Shack" was more about one central character in search of finding out if God is real. In "Grace Revealed" there are stories about different people that share their experiences. The stories remind you that you are not alone as far as difficult situations in lif, and can help you get refocused. Both books show God's grace.
Exactly B. I think that this book is more relevant to a crisis. And it is a book that can be reread or even better read one story at the time. I think one doesn't have to read the whole book to understand it or get the meaning of it...and overall, the comfort that the message of the book provides.
Yes, this book can definitely be a re-read for any situation, if one is in crisis or just to pick it up and re-read to remind oneself of what God can and will do for them!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Van112
Currently Reading: How To Fall In Love
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivianne-nat.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Van112 »

I guess both books have their own strengths and yes, they might be written with the same central idea similarly to each other but are quite different when it comes to the web ay it was expressed. So i think both books are a good read for people who share the same sentiments as the ones in the stories and even for those who aren't.
:techie-studyingbrown:

“I don't think all writers are sad, she said. I think it's the other way around- all sad people write.” - Langleav
ZettieOby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by ZettieOby »

From what i ave read, Grace revealed talk about peoples experiences during crisis and how they overcame by God's grace while The Shack speaks about dealing with grief and finding out if God real.
Kemmy11
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemmy11.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Kemmy11 »

Grace revealed talks about experiencing God's grace during crisis, while The Shack is more about overcoming grief and the existence of God. I think reading both books gives a deeper understanding of the realness of God and his grace.
sarahmarlowe
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

MorganKnightOfficial wrote: 23 May 2020, 07:42 This book, in the sense that "grace and mercy" is a large theme in the book, reminded me a lot of "The Shack", as both books deal with God's grace and redemption, as well as finding God within a crisis.
Do you agree? And which one of these books would you rather read during a crisis?
I would recommend this book instead of The Shack. Although The Shack is a feel-good movie (I haven't read the book.), I found some issues with some of the scriptural truths it put forth. I think that Grace and Mercy would be an excellent book for people to read, whether they are currently in crisis or have experienced a crisis in their past.
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

B Creech wrote: 25 May 2020, 13:32
Yes, this book can definitely be a re-read for any situation, if one is in crisis or just to pick it up and re-read to remind oneself of what God can and will do for them!
Yeah, because we often need that reminder. Especially when things are going well. Until we "need" God. All these stories are great way to get a perspective on our own life. It truly is a beautiful book. I was wondering did this author has more books?
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 26 May 2020, 11:27

Yeah, because we often need that reminder. Especially when things are going well. Until we "need" God. All these stories are great way to get a perspective on our own life. It truly is a beautiful book. I was wondering did this author has more books?
I know the author has one other book titled "God Revealed" but I don't know if there are any more than that.
B. Creech
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

B Creech wrote: 26 May 2020, 15:13
AntonelaMaria wrote: 26 May 2020, 11:27
I know the author has one other book titled "God Revealed" but I don't know if there are any more than that.
Thank you I would be interested in reading that book as well.

Return to “Discuss "Grace Revealed " by Frederick J. Sievert”