Grace Revealed by a non-religous person

Use this forum to discuss the May 2020 Book of the month, "Grace Revealed: Finding God's Strength in Any Crisis" by Frederick J. Sievert.
ReadMeow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readmeow.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Re: Grace Revealed by a non-religous person

Post by ReadMeow »

I do not think it is an entire waste to read it if you are not a religious person. That being said, it would not be wise to read the book if you are a staunch atheist. I think some level of spirituality or at least being open to the idea of a god existing would be necessary. It would also be helpful know something about some of the more common Christian tales or principles.
lwahls2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lwahls2.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by lwahls2 »

I think this one is ok for a non-religious person to read. It might spark something in you or make you realize more deeply than ever that you don't need religion in your life. Either way, it's a powerful read for anyone.
Laura Martin

“Because when you are imagining, you might as well imagine something worthwhile.”
― Lucy Maud Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
keiyoshi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keiyoshi.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by keiyoshi »

Thank you for posting this very important question. I wouldn't really consider myself 'religious' but in my own perspective, morality the common ground for any religious or good thing which is something everyone has. If the book focuses on that, then surely everyone can find reasons to enjoy it.
emkanders
Currently Reading: Hammer of the Gods
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emkanders.html
Latest Review: Inferno Dawn by Jacob Emrey

Post by emkanders »

I think that even if a reader does not hold the same beliefs as the author, it can still be beneficial and interesting to look at life through a different perspective.
Chikom
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chikom.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Chikom »

The book is meant for everybody to read. It's not for religious people only, even nonreligious people can read this for fun. People who want to read this book would actually read for different ressons hence no specific audience aimed by the author.
Star_and_Buck
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star-and-buck.html
Latest Review: Abby the Dog and Tigger the Cat by P.L. (Patricia) Rainey

Post by Star_and_Buck »

I do not know much about the bible but if we look over the message that the book is trying to convey we can learn a lot from the book.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

For a non-believer, I think if you try to consider it as a normal book for stress-relief, you will be able to make use of its content. However, some parts will indeed be a bit nerve-wracking if you don't know anything about the Bible, since you'll have no idea what it talks about.
femma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-femma.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by femma »

I think the misconception of people is that you have to be religious to be receive the beneficial grace of God, and that's not true, example from the scripture negates this. All you need is simple believe faith.
Haywhyre7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haywhyre7.html
Latest Review: California: On the Edge of American History by Ronald Genini

Post by Haywhyre7 »

The lessons in the book are much about life as they are about being religious. I did like that parallel and concept
LuciusM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luciusm.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by LuciusM »

Being a non-religious reader should not limit one from benefitting from the teachings in the book. Some stories outlined in the book are somehow real life experiences and it doesn't matter, for any audience can learn from them. It is not about beliefs but rather focusing on the positivity that suits you.
simplybyjenn
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simplybyjenn.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by simplybyjenn »

I am not relgious but I did enjoy the book as it still has messages and themes that I could connect with just I like I would with any other fiction book. I didn't focus on the religious components but instead just read it as an overall story like I would reading a story on Greek myhtology.
Astrolorraine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astrolorraine.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Astrolorraine »

I am also non-religious, but enjoyed the book. There are plenty of universal truths that anybody can resonate with, such as being good to each other or how to deal with stressors. It's fairly easy to gloss over the specifically religious aspects and adapt the book's message to one's lifestyle and views.
Patrick Maina1
Currently Reading: The Power of Habit
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patrick-maina1.html
Latest Review: How To Keep Your Daughter From Slamming the Door by Deborah Ann Davis
Reading Device: Moonreader

Post by Patrick Maina1 »

The book is ok even for the non religious.It will open your mind to understand why believers hold certain believes
Nhitra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nhitra.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Nhitra »

I think people who are non-religious might even enjoy this better because they can have an un-bias view on the subject whereas I, who used to be Christian, find myself understanding what the author is saying but kind of reject the book a bit because it reminds me of all the things I heard when I was growing up and it makes me feel very uncomfortable.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

I believe that anyone can benefit from this book whether religious or not. I think there is a message of hope for everyone that reads the book. Christians may enjoy it as it may bring encouragement.

Return to “Discuss "Grace Revealed " by Frederick J. Sievert”