Grace Revealed by a non-religous person

Use this forum to discuss the May 2020 Book of the month, "Grace Revealed: Finding God's Strength in Any Crisis" by Frederick J. Sievert.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Re: Grace Revealed by a non-religous person

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Kirsi_78 wrote: 30 May 2020, 06:44 I have been somewhat religious quite many years so I have absolutely no idea what it feels like to read this book for someone who's not religious. It would be interesting to hear how it was, once you're done with the reading! Anyway, quite many of the laws and rules of our society come from the Bible and christian faith. Also the idea of what is good and what is bad in humans is more or less based on the Bible. This being said, I believe there are aspects in this book that also give great value to a person who is not religious. Naturally I might also be wrong with my reasoning... :D If you read the book, please do tell how it was! :techie-studyinggray:
I think that too some or most part can be easy understood by every reader. But also would love to hear from someone who has read a book and is not religious.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

People can believe what they want. Anyone can read this and think that these people came through their problems either on their own or with the help of others. That part is enough for a non-religious person ans he/she can enjoy the book as same as a religious one
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Sushan Ekanayake
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now

Zoe Luh wrote: 28 May 2020, 16:01 I'm also noon-religious. I haven't read this book yet, I've been debating it strongly because it seems like it has a powerful message, but I'm just not that familiar with the Bible. I think we could probably both learn from the book by looking less at the specifics of the stories and more at the general message.
I too agree with you. The general message is not to give in to your hardships. If you can grab that part from the book, being non-religious won't be a big problem

- Bill Gates -

Sushan Ekanayake

Manali_DC wrote: 29 May 2020, 03:26 I too am non-religious and not familiar with the Bible! However, the common theme in most religious books is goodness in human beings, kindness, being helpful, to bear a crisis or suffering with grace and fortitude. I agree with the previous comment that most readers would probably enjoy the book by looking less at specifics and more at the general message.
To be good, strong, and help others, you don't have to be religious. Only you have to be is a human. So if you are humane enough, you will definitely enjoy this book

- Bill Gates -

Sushan Ekanayake

AntonelaMaria wrote: 29 May 2020, 04:25
AlphasFemale wrote: 28 May 2020, 15:52 Ok so I have just accepted Grace Revealed to review for online book club but first I came to the forums to see what others are saying about it. Now I do suffer from anxiety and at times depression and from what I gather there are stories in this book that heavily focus on such topics, along with other tough to talk about things. I have also noticed that a lot of people who are reading and enjoying this book would consider themselves to be religious and I am not. So I have to wonder, is this book one that will still be beneficial for those that are not a part of the religious community or is it so heavily religious that others will not be able to find much enjoyment in it. My goal is largely to look for lessons or help that dose not focus on prayer alone as a solution.
In no way am I against anyone's personal beliefs I just am looking at ways that this book might help those who are not part of said communities and who have no interest in joining one. I know stuff like this is a controversial or "hot topic" so please do not think that I am trying to upset anyone.
I am interested in the opinions of others who have came reading this book for the same reasons. Who else here dose not subscribe to the Christian way of life and yet have found this book to be enjoyable and or helpful?
I think the best answer will give you someone who is not religious but has read the book. However, I am not that person but I do wish to discuss this topic. I found it very interesting. If I have learned anything in my reading history is that reading is very subjective. So we may not have a "correct" or specific answer to your question. Maybe the best is for you to try to read it and see it for yourself.

My opinion is that better understanding of this book will have all readers who have some kind of religion or are spiritual beings. This book is heavily inspired by faith. So I am not sure how beneficial would that be for someone who doesn't have it. Now, I don't think you have to be heavily religious person.
Being religious and belonging to a religion are two different things. If you belong to some religion, there are things that you are grown up with and you are nurtured with some sort of a belief system. That will come out unintentionally for anyone who reads this book, though the particular person is religious or not

- Bill Gates -

Sushan Ekanayake

Chimdi_3 wrote: 29 May 2020, 05:52 Apart from the religious aspect of the book,there are basic lessons to be learnt on how to stay strong and also deal with issues which is of great benefit too.
That is correct. We don't always get a smooth life, there are many obstacles in our pathways and we have to be strong to face them. This book shows how some of people did so

- Bill Gates -

Sushan Ekanayake

Becccccca+98 wrote: 29 May 2020, 08:51 I haven't read the book yet, but I don't think you need to be a religious person to be able to enjoy the book. I've read the sample, and I think that the lessons in the book can be applied to everyone's life even if you're not religious :)
Lie lessons are life lessons. To get something from them to your own lives, you have to be firstly a human. Other requirements will pop up later only

- Bill Gates -

Sushan Ekanayake

Bhuvana Subramanyam wrote: 29 May 2020, 11:59
AlphasFemale wrote: 28 May 2020, 15:52 Ok so I have just accepted Grace Revealed to review for an online book club but first I came to the forums to see what others are saying about it. Now I do suffer from anxiety and at times depression and from what I gather there are stories in this book that heavily focus on such topics, along with other tough to talk about things. I have also noticed that a lot of people who are reading and enjoying this book would consider themselves to be religious and I am not. So I have to wonder, is this book one that will still be beneficial for those that are not a part of the religious community or is it so heavily religious that others will not be able to find much enjoyment in it. My goal is largely to look for lessons or help that does not focus on prayer alone as a solution.
In no way am I against anyone's personal beliefs I just am looking at ways that this book might help those who are not part of said communities and who have no interest in joining one. I know stuff like this is a controversial or "hot topic" so please do not think that I am trying to upset anyone.
I am interested in the opinions of others who have come reading this book for the same reasons. Who else here does not subscribe to the Christian way of life and yet have found this book to be enjoyable and or helpful?
I feel the same way. I don't believe in such things and also I don't find faults with the people who are religious.
The lesson I learned is, doing good things would help us get good things.
That can be taken as the natural order of our lives. If you do good, you will get good, and vice versa

- Bill Gates -

Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Maria Esposito »

I am religious, so I might not be the best person to tell you about that. It depends on your personality and what you look for. If you read the book actively searching for lessons to implement into your own life, I am afraid that you won't find much in there that is not purely religious, e.g. to trust in God, pray, and learn from your struggles to surrender yourself to his grace. But if you read it with an open mind and an interest to learn from other people's stories, I think you will enjoy it. I like to read testimonies and books about/by people who identify in other religions too, but again, that all depends on you. Nothing wrong with a lack of interest in it!
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"
moowshiri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moowshiri.html
Latest Review: The Kings Death by Ed Cannon

Post by moowshiri »

I really don't think that this book only serves to benefit those from certain religious groups. However, there's quite a lot of quotes from the Bible. Generally, it's a safe read for everyone both religious or not, you'll definitely find it of much help to you.
Zoe Luh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zoe-luh.html
Latest Review: Moon Magic by Charli Elizabeth

Post by Zoe Luh »

Lorpanor wrote: 29 May 2020, 14:24 I am a religious person, but I found the message to be boring after a while. I think I was expecting something that would challenge my faith. I did find the stories encouraging. I think I agree with others that it is about your perception with this book and what experiences you have gone through
do you think someone who isn't religious might gain more from reading it?
Julyet_Chris
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julyet-chris.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Higher Ground by Thomas A. Brigger

Post by Julyet_Chris »

I’m not a very religious person and not very conversant with my bible but this book can also be helpful to people like me too because the book is packed with very helpful information and even though the book stirs more towards the spiritual areas of life,The book can still be enjoyed by non-believers.
Nelson Chocha
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: G.A.S. & Dementia
Currently Reading: ABM is B2B
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nelson-chocha.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
fav_author_id: 77547

Post by Nelson Chocha »

Even if one is not familiar with the Bible,
the book contains plots that can benefit anyone dealing with anxiety and obsessions. Therefore, I suppose that even non-believers can enjoy this novel.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

espo wrote: 31 May 2020, 13:10 I am religious, so I might not be the best person to tell you about that. It depends on your personality and what you look for. If you read the book actively searching for lessons to implement into your own life, I am afraid that you won't find much in there that is not purely religious, e.g. to trust in God, pray, and learn from your struggles to surrender yourself to his grace. But if you read it with an open mind and an interest to learn from other people's stories, I think you will enjoy it. I like to read testimonies and books about/by people who identify in other religions too, but again, that all depends on you. Nothing wrong with a lack of interest in it!
You said it really well. Oh, and btw I like to read about other religions too. Bet than again I am very curious. So if they are curious about it too I don't see what not to read it.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

moowshiri wrote: 31 May 2020, 13:16 I really don't think that this book only serves to benefit those from certain religious groups. However, there's quite a lot of quotes from the Bible. Generally, it's a safe read for everyone both religious or not, you'll definitely find it of much help to you.
It is a safe read for everyone, no matter the religion. Sometimes going in the reading a book and not expecting too much you find that you enjoy it more.

Return to “Discuss "Grace Revealed " by Frederick J. Sievert”