Grace Revealed by a non-religous person

Use this forum to discuss the May 2020 Book of the month, "Grace Revealed: Finding God's Strength in Any Crisis" by Frederick J. Sievert.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Re: Grace Revealed by a non-religous person

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Nkoo wrote: 29 May 2020, 14:17 Anyone can conveniently read, enjoy, and learn great lessons from this book. It all depends on perception; what one focuses on, enlarges. Read it with an open mind and a lot will be gleaned from it. Happy reading!
Yes, you have to read this with an open mind. Then it won't be a big issue whether you are religious or not, and you will learn a lot from the book
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Sushan Ekanayake
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now

Lorpanor wrote: 29 May 2020, 14:24 I am a religious person, but I found the message to be boring after a while. I think I was expecting something that would challenge my faith. I did find the stories encouraging. I think I agree with others that it is about your perception with this book and what experiences you have gone through
This book seemingly does not challenge one's faith, but encourages it. So if someone is looking for a challenge, please pass on this one

- Bill Gates -

Sushan Ekanayake

Free-man wrote: 29 May 2020, 19:01 I believe it is okay for people to be a non believer, yet read this book. But that I do believe is that. This book is suppose to get you connected to to it's spirutual direction. This is because, it is well packed with lots of powerful words that should drive ones mind and heart to God. My own opinion.
You don't have to be religious to read about hardships of people and learn from them. But if you are religious and faithful, your perception will be different

- Bill Gates -

Sushan Ekanayake

AntonelaMaria wrote: 30 May 2020, 05:07
Free-man wrote: 29 May 2020, 19:01 I believe it is okay for people to be a non believer, yet read this book. But that I do believe is that. This book is suppose to get you connected to to it's spirutual direction. This is because, it is well packed with lots of powerful words that should drive ones mind and heart to God. My own opinion.
So do you think one should have somewhat spirituality if not a religion to "get" this book?
The author's idea of writing this book seems like to strengthen the faith in people. So to fulfill that, you have to be somewhat religious and spiritual

- Bill Gates -

Sushan Ekanayake

Kirsi_78 wrote: 30 May 2020, 06:44 I have been somewhat religious quite many years so I have absolutely no idea what it feels like to read this book for someone who's not religious. It would be interesting to hear how it was, once you're done with the reading! Anyway, quite many of the laws and rules of our society come from the Bible and christian faith. Also the idea of what is good and what is bad in humans is more or less based on the Bible. This being said, I believe there are aspects in this book that also give great value to a person who is not religious. Naturally I might also be wrong with my reasoning... :D If you read the book, please do tell how it was! :techie-studyinggray:
Laws being based on the Bible can be true to your society, but I don't think it is so for the majority, because law and order is far more ancient than any religious scripture. It might have acquired a thing or two from the Bible

- Bill Gates -

Sushan Ekanayake

AntonelaMaria wrote: 31 May 2020, 03:00
Kirsi_78 wrote: 30 May 2020, 06:44 I have been somewhat religious quite many years so I have absolutely no idea what it feels like to read this book for someone who's not religious. It would be interesting to hear how it was, once you're done with the reading! Anyway, quite many of the laws and rules of our society come from the Bible and christian faith. Also the idea of what is good and what is bad in humans is more or less based on the Bible. This being said, I believe there are aspects in this book that also give great value to a person who is not religious. Naturally I might also be wrong with my reasoning... :D If you read the book, please do tell how it was! :techie-studyinggray:
I think that too some or most part can be easy understood by every reader. But also would love to hear from someone who has read a book and is not religious.
I think anyone can understand what the author has stated. But the difference is in the way that each one perceives the idea. It can be different from a religious to a non-religious

- Bill Gates -

Sushan Ekanayake

espo wrote: 31 May 2020, 13:10 I am religious, so I might not be the best person to tell you about that. It depends on your personality and what you look for. If you read the book actively searching for lessons to implement into your own life, I am afraid that you won't find much in there that is not purely religious, e.g. to trust in God, pray, and learn from your struggles to surrender yourself to his grace. But if you read it with an open mind and an interest to learn from other people's stories, I think you will enjoy it. I like to read testimonies and books about/by people who identify in other religions too, but again, that all depends on you. Nothing wrong with a lack of interest in it!
If it is put in that way, there won't be much for a non-religious to gain from the book. But if one can understand that what matters at last is persistence, then it doesn't matter whether you are religious or not

- Bill Gates -

Sushan Ekanayake

moowshiri wrote: 31 May 2020, 13:16 I really don't think that this book only serves to benefit those from certain religious groups. However, there's quite a lot of quotes from the Bible. Generally, it's a safe read for everyone both religious or not, you'll definitely find it of much help to you.
A non-religious one can keep the bible verses aside, if they are not in the best interest of the reader, and try to understand the deep truth of the given testimonies. It is being strong and persistent in whatever the challenge which is thrown to you

- Bill Gates -

Sushan Ekanayake

Julyet_Chris wrote: 31 May 2020, 14:41 I’m not a very religious person and not very conversant with my bible but this book can also be helpful to people like me too because the book is packed with very helpful information and even though the book stirs more towards the spiritual areas of life,The book can still be enjoyed by non-believers.
Hardships of fellow men always leave something for us to learn. That is the use of this book for a non-religious reader

- Bill Gates -

Sushan Ekanayake

AntonelaMaria wrote: 31 May 2020, 17:41
espo wrote: 31 May 2020, 13:10 I am religious, so I might not be the best person to tell you about that. It depends on your personality and what you look for. If you read the book actively searching for lessons to implement into your own life, I am afraid that you won't find much in there that is not purely religious, e.g. to trust in God, pray, and learn from your struggles to surrender yourself to his grace. But if you read it with an open mind and an interest to learn from other people's stories, I think you will enjoy it. I like to read testimonies and books about/by people who identify in other religions too, but again, that all depends on you. Nothing wrong with a lack of interest in it!
You said it really well. Oh, and btw I like to read about other religions too. Bet than again I am very curious. So if they are curious about it too I don't see what not to read it.
One can read this with a curious mind and try to get some points regarding Christianity. But that will lead him/her to further questions and may need further reading, since this is not a complete version of the Bible

- Bill Gates -

Gabrielle Sigaki
Currently Reading: Business Basics BootCamp
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielle-sigaki.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Gabrielle Sigaki »

I'm not religious, but I think you can apprehend a lot from books like that, you can read it to know better the religion, to see how some people deal with their life problems with faith, praying, it can especially benefit those who read the Bible. Still, each person should try to see if they like the type of book since it's a very personal thing.
_Lindsey_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindsey.html
Latest Review: The Curl by Raymond George Ward

Post by _Lindsey_ »

gabrielletiemi wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 05:26 I'm not religious, but I think you can apprehend a lot from books like that, you can read it to know better the religion, to see how some people deal with their life problems with faith, praying, it can especially benefit those who read the Bible. Still, each person should try to see if they like the type of book since it's a very personal thing.

I think this is a really excellent point. Being spiritual also doesn't have to connect with being religious. Sometimes it's good just to take some time to breathe and get in better touch with yourself. It's also always a good idea to see other people's experiences and get a different perspective.
Grace Bela
Currently Reading: Jesus Calling
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-bela.html
Latest Review: Moon Luck by Wayne Scott Harral

Post by Grace Bela »

It's nice to hear perspectives on this book from people who aren't really religious. I am, so am glad to know that this book may also be meaningful to others with different beliefs. I think I'll definitely have to recommend this book to nonreligious friends!
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Post by mmm17 »

The way I see it, a book like this can help non-religious persons as well. It touches themes that are common to all humanity.
jhunt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhunt.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by jhunt »

I have recommended Grace Revealed to non-religious people because I think the themes will reach many audiences, even if they aren't extremely knowledgeable on religion.

Return to “Discuss "Grace Revealed " by Frederick J. Sievert”