Abuse/overemphasis of the grace of God by the Author?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2020 Book of the month, "Grace Revealed: Finding God's Strength in Any Crisis" by Frederick J. Sievert.
Porcupineapple15
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-porcupineapple15.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Re: Abuse/overemphasis of the grace of God by the Author?

Post by Porcupineapple15 »

I think there was definitely emphasis, but I wouldn’t say overemphasis. Given that grace is the most loving thing we could ever receive from God, I think it’s fair how heavily the author wrote about the value of this. Hope that helps!
Claude Belemu wrote: 17 Jun 2020, 15:34 Did anyone feel the author may have overemphasized the grace of God to the detriment of a Christian's duty to 'carry their own cross' and 'die to self' as we are commanded to do? Or was it a balanced and spirit-filled/approved view that did not seek to abuse this grace as a few may be accustomed to doing. Thanks
Porcupineapple15
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-porcupineapple15.html

Post by Porcupineapple15 »

This is a beautifully written take on this. I agree with you, and I want to add that, in the case of this novel, the author perfectly balances the value of grace and the value of God’s power and might, and the scales don’t seem to tip in either direction to place one as more necessary or important than the other.
:text-feedback:
Slater678 wrote: 28 Jun 2020, 01:38 I think of grace as an experience that humble you to the extent that you want to be like Jesus including carrying one's cross. So I don't think grace can be overemphasized because it can't dissuade someone from observing what scripture commands.
HurricaneBooks
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hurricanebooks.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by HurricaneBooks »

Grace is a gift, there is no limit to it. That being said grace cannot be taken. When people expect grace or demand it, it is no longer grace, in my mind. The expectation of it takes away its powerful message, because it needs to be received with a humble heart. In a book called Boundaries an interesting point about forgiveness is raised, which I believe is relevant. Forgiveness is something that takes one person, because it occurs in your heart; reconciliation takes two. So grace can be found in forgiveness, but not stolen in forced reconciliation. God calls us to forgive, that doesn't mean ignoring behaviors, being a doormat, or being a victim. Grace is not enabling. God has boundaries and enforces them, just like parents do, because they love their children.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Marvin85
Favorite Book: The Biblical Clock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marvin85.html

Post by Marvin85 »

I think all we have to value as humans is the grace of God. It is the grace of God that sustains the universe including our own lives. So, without the grace we cannot see the splendor of God in everyday life. Grace has not been over-emphasized in the book.
jerick_12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerick-12.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by jerick_12 »

I don't think it is the author's purpose to overemphasize the grace of GOD. Some people might think that because of the way the author wrote it.
tafta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tafta.html
Latest Review: The FBI Inspector by Jay Dubya

Post by tafta »

I think carrying your cross is more or less the same as accepting grace. We cannot all be Jesus, suffering and struggling once more for what God has put in place already. I think Jesus said, " It is finished." The author is spot on in my opinion, remove the pride, accept God's grace
Patrick Maina1
Currently Reading: The Power of Habit
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patrick-maina1.html
Latest Review: How To Keep Your Daughter From Slamming the Door by Deborah Ann Davis
Reading Device: Moonreader

Post by Patrick Maina1 »

No book would be enough to discuss God's grace.
Christiana+-
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christiana.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Christiana+- »

Talking about Grace is a very deep thing which everyone gives there own point based on the level of the knowledge they have. I believe the author did the same.
David_Kariuki
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-kariuki.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by David_Kariuki »

Slater678 wrote: 28 Jun 2020, 01:38 I think of grace as an experience that humble you to the extent that you want to be like Jesus including carrying one's cross. So I don't think grace can be overemphasized because it can't dissuade someone from observing what scripture commands.
Quite true. I believe that Christ Himself is an embodiment of Grace and the Bible really puts emphasis that on grace, especially in the book of Romans. The Author did justice to this topic.
David_Kariuki
Currently Reading:

Post by David_Kariuki »

Claude Belemu wrote: 17 Jun 2020, 15:34 Did anyone feel the author may have overemphasized the grace of God to the detriment of a Christian's duty to 'carry their own cross' and 'die to self' as we are commanded to do? Or was it a balanced and spirit-filled/approved view that did not seek to abuse this grace as a few may be accustomed to doing. Thanks
On the contrary, i believe that we can not overemphasize grace. I feel that grace is most times underrated and not discussed enough. I also believe that Grace is at the root of human transformation, in the sense that when man experiences grace, they are changed from the inside out and it becomes much easier to follow God and His teachings.
David_Kariuki
Currently Reading:

Post by David_Kariuki »

NellyDee29 wrote: 08 Jul 2020, 06:20 I don't agree that the author overemphasised the grace of God in a believer's life. This is because we all know that without the grace of God, many of us would have been lost. So the author was trying to show us how God's favour is upon us.
I agree, just the simple thought of the extent that God went just to save humanity despite our glaring shortcomings is very humbling.
David_Kariuki
Currently Reading:

Post by David_Kariuki »

Remember that the adversary's is always looking for opportunities to make us feel unworthy of going to God. When we feel guilty or condemned we tend to shy away from God's presence and as a result, we are more susceptible to sin again. That's why the Bible says ' there is therefore now no condemnation, for we are no longer under law, but under GRACE'. God just wants us to know that we are loved,even we fall sometimes, we can always go back to Him.
So I believe that grace should be even more discussed.
David_Kariuki
Currently Reading:

Post by David_Kariuki »

almeidabel wrote: 11 Jul 2020, 12:09 I think grace is something that could never be too much
Good sentiments,I would say that we actually need more of it.
Chikom
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chikom.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Chikom »

I like the fact that the book rotates around the same topic. Grace is immensely in our day to day life and hence i do applaud the author on this amazing work. Am very sure the heart of people this book has touched is many.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

Grace is undeserved mercy. It is a gift. Without it we can not be saved. I think we learn through the testimonies in the book that it was God's grace that saved each one and because of it those that received it were able yo share it with others.

Return to “Discuss "Grace Revealed " by Frederick J. Sievert”