Mystery/Thriller Discussion - May 2020

For May 2020 we'll be reading Mystery/Thriller books.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Mystery/Thriller Discussion - May 2020

Post by Heidi M Simone »

For this month, we will be reading Mystery/Thriller books.
  • Mystery: This genre is where the protagonist's spends his/her time solving a crime or a series of crimes. There are usually clues placed strategically within the text as the protagonist and readers try to solve the mystery/crime at hand.

• Thriller: This genre leaves readers at "the edge of their seats." There are feelings of suspense, anticipation, and maybe even anxiety as the reader dives deeper into the story. Plot twists, red herrings, and cliffhangers planted throughout the read is common for this genre.
Some guiding discussion points
  • What are you reading/have read for this month? Share the title and author of the book you read.
  • What were your impressions?
  • Were there any other genres featured in that book?
  • What are some characteristics that you see in the book that seem unique to the genre?
  • What rating would you give this read?
  • Would you recommend the book you read? Why or why not?
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I'm currently reading an advanced reader's copy of a mystery/thriller. It's called The Night Swim by Megan Goldin, and I'm finding it very interesting so far. Once I finish, I'll come back here with an update to share if I ended up liking it or not!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Gotta Book
Favorite Book: The Nickel Boys
Currently Reading: Godshot
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gotta-book.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B07X4GF8HS

Post by Gotta Book »

I just finished Camino Winds by Grisham. It was okay. I sort of expect a lot from him and this one was, while not his worst, certainly not his best.
blackpinkpurple
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blackpinkpurple.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by blackpinkpurple »

My favorite genre is mystery/thriller. I don’t read much historical books. I have read 3 historical mystery-thrillers so far. I have read Mistress of the Art of Death by Ariana Franklin, The seven deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton, A Curious Beginning by Deanna Raybourn.

I have absolutely loved these books. Each of these books has a unique narrative. In the first one, the mystery is surrounding a serial killer narrated from a medical examiner’s perspective. In the second one, the unique storytelling is that the murder repeats itself until the protagonist can solve it. That is also replete with hints and clues. In the third one, the mystery is solved while the protagonists are on the run, barely escaping the murderer. Usually mystery thrillers are intertwined with a romance plot. It gives the characters an edge as to protect their beloved before the killer strikes. I recommend the above mentioned books as amazing mystery thrillers. They kept me guessing till the end. I would give them 4 out of 4 stars.

:) :)
Julie-p
Currently Reading: Demian
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-p.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by Julie-p »

I don't usually read mystery or crime books, but I recently read Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie. It was an amazing book, and the end was completely unexpected. Would totally recommend it.
I guess the thing that doesn't attract me about this books, is that one of the most interesting things is solving the mystery yourself. I don't know why, but I don't really think about the mystery or the solution the enigma when reading these type of books. So I guess that what makes them a bit more uninteresting to me.
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Julie-p wrote: 19 May 2020, 16:22 I don't usually read mystery or crime books, but I recently read Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie. It was an amazing book, and the end was completely unexpected. Would totally recommend it.
I guess the thing that doesn't attract me about this books, is that one of the most interesting things is solving the mystery yourself. I don't know why, but I don't really think about the mystery or the solution the enigma when reading these type of books. So I guess that what makes them a bit more uninteresting to me.
I can understand about your view of mystery and crime books.

It's great to hear that you enjoyed this one, though! I've read a few Agatha Christie books. It's not really my style, but it's good to know that you would recommend this one. :)
Heidi

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

hsimone wrote: 02 May 2020, 10:11 I'm currently reading an advanced reader's copy of a mystery/thriller. It's called The Night Swim by Megan Goldin, and I'm finding it very interesting so far. Once I finish, I'll come back here with an update to share if I ended up liking it or not!
I finished it and really liked it! I would caution that there is much talk about rape and sexual assault. Therefore, if these types of scenes are too upsetting, then I would not recommend this read. There isn't much character growth, but other than these two things, I thought the story was interesting and I read it pretty quickly.
Heidi

baldgi84
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Fulfilment
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-baldgi84.html
Latest Review: Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

Post by baldgi84 »

For those who haven't read this book, I strongly recommend The Ambler Warning by Robert Ludlum. By far the best thriller book I've read so far.

Return to “May 2020 Genre Discussion”