Do you enjoy solving the mystery before the characters?

For May 2020 we'll be reading Mystery/Thriller books.
edztan15
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edztan15.html
Latest Review: Sex Business Tokyo by Alta Eva Bourne

Re: Do you enjoy solving the mystery before the characters?

Post by edztan15 »

I usually turn off my part of the brain that wants to solve things just so I can thoroughly enjoy the story. Mystery authors sometimes throw curveballs to their stories which render the reader's analysis useless, thus making for a frustrating read.
Wazzala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Wazzala »

In fact, I do. sometimes I even gather my own evidence and wrongfully solve a mystery to later find out I was wrong. But I still enjoy doing so.
Benefits+me
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Benefits+me »

I become frustrated at the same I am curious on how this will end and solving the mystery during the journey
Sarah_Anna
Currently Reading: 103 Pilgrims
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-anna.html
Latest Review: Irma's Daughters by Jennie Linnane

Post by Sarah_Anna »

I really enjoy being able to solve the mystery before the characters. This enables me to really appreciate the clues in a different way because I already anticipate the outcome. However, I do respect when an author can keep me guessing until the end since this doesn't happen as often. It can be entertaining to have competitions with fellow readers to see how early in the book you're able to solve the mystery. My mom and I actually do this and we have fun together talking about what clue was the giveaway for each of us.
Masereka Jehold
Currently Reading: Contagion Domination
Bookshelf Size: 47

Post by Masereka Jehold »

I would wish to solve the mystery when it is ending however some thrillers would push you to find out by first reading the ending chapters to cool the overbuilding suspense!
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

I like to think about the solution, but hate discussing my thoughts with others. And I actually prefer when the author surprises me and I am wrong.

The best books for me are those I want to reread to see if I missed any clues and if they all make sense.

Return to “May 2020 Genre Discussion”