Is the Bible incomplete?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2020 Book of the month, "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Quest: Finding Freddie
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Re: Is the Bible incomplete?

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Orizon wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 16:39
Officialboluwatife wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 16:04 Seeing the book is presented as fiction, I see no reason for the comparison. As Christians, I don't think our mind should be after the completeness of the bible. Rather it should be about the significance of the bible we have at hand in our life.
Facts. I couldn't say it better.
Facts are facts. But I asked that question out of curiosity
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Sushan Ekanayake

Katie Canedy wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 17:19 That is a valid point. I felt that the Bible did leave out some details in the stories. This is truly something to think about. :eusa-think:
I am glad to find someone think alike atleast to some extent. Yes, there are some details that left behind, for some reason

- Bill Gates -

Sushan Ekanayake

B Creech wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 18:13
Sushan wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 10:06 The author gives additional descriptions, which are not found in the original Bible, to the story from creating Adam and Eve, up to the worldwide flood. Most of who has studied the Bible must have had his/her own thoughts regarding these lacking parts. Does this mean that the Bible is incomplete? On the other hand, is it righteous to add after-notes to a religious book like the Bible?
I do not believe the Bible is incomplete. There would not be enough room to write everything about God! I believe it is as complete as God wants it to be, we are not meant to know everything because we are not on the same realm as God. We are human, He is spiritual so we could not comprehend it all in our present state. That is just my opinion. Is it righteous to add after-notes to a religious book like the Bible? I say it is not righteous. I understand the author is using his imagination to fill in the gaps, which is what makes the book fiction. However, in the story of Adam and Eve, there wasn't just gaps being filled in, there were changes made to what the Bible actually says, which I have a problem with. I will continue reading to see how it goes unless I feel too much is being changed and not just being 'filled in.' Thanks for these questions!
Changing the original scripture is not acceptable. Yet, if the whole thing is a fiction, can't it be taken as fair?

- Bill Gates -

Sushan Ekanayake

Readerjorge wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 18:36 The Bible refers to facts but does not always put all the details. This does not mean that it is incomplete. We must understand that the wisdom of God is higher than that of humans. Surely there is an intention that we do not know.
That is correct. We can never know the actual reason why some details are left out from the Bible

- Bill Gates -

Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death 
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

Post by Laura Lee »

It really depends on how you interpret "incomplete." When it comes to "instruction in righteousness" and doctrine, etc., the Bible states that it IS complete. As for all the interesting, fascinating little details that make stories interesting, I'd say, yes, a lot was left out of the Bible.

I came to that conclusion after reading the Book of Jasher (referenced several times in the Bible). The Book of Jasher is fascinating because it adds in all the little details the Bible leaves out. I haven't finished reading Killing Abel yet, but I am interested to see if the author "fills in" with details drawn from Jasher. Anyone who has ever read Jasher will probably tell you: "Yeah, the Bible leaves out a LOT of details!"
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
Samgum50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samgum50.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Samgum50 »

I don't believe that it's okay to add after notes to the Bible. However I think that what the Bible looks like now isn't how it might have originally looked like. Some things could've been lost during the translation and editing process. However I feel like the message and lesson are more important than full stories and depictions in the Bible. The scripture is as God intended it to be, therefore it should be sufficient.
Sushan Ekanayake

Laura Lee wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 21:05 It really depends on how you interpret "incomplete." When it comes to "instruction in righteousness" and doctrine, etc., the Bible states that it IS complete. As for all the interesting, fascinating little details that make stories interesting, I'd say, yes, a lot was left out of the Bible.

I came to that conclusion after reading the Book of Jasher (referenced several times in the Bible). The Book of Jasher is fascinating because it adds in all the little details the Bible leaves out. I haven't finished reading Killing Abel yet, but I am interested to see if the author "fills in" with details drawn from Jasher. Anyone who has ever read Jasher will probably tell you: "Yeah, the Bible leaves out a LOT of details!"
That was my point. Considering the chronological order, there are details that are left out from the bible

- Bill Gates -

Sushan Ekanayake

Samgum50 wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 21:25 I don't believe that it's okay to add after notes to the Bible. However I think that what the Bible looks like now isn't how it might have originally looked like. Some things could've been lost during the translation and editing process. However I feel like the message and lesson are more important than full stories and depictions in the Bible. The scripture is as God intended it to be, therefore it should be sufficient.
Yes, maybe the editings and the translations were the reason for the Bible to loose some details. Ultimately what is important is the message that is given

- Bill Gates -

writestuff
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writestuff.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by writestuff »

The bible is most definitely incomplete. The original texts are gigantic and get a little lost in translation and politics. This book however took possibilities and went with it for entertainment. Its funny how some people get upset over different interpretation but on almost every tv show, God's name is used in vain and its cool. Not trying to ruffle feathers its just my opinion.
Erandi Ekanayake
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erandi-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Erandi Ekanayake »

Sushan wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 10:06 The author gives additional descriptions, which are not found in the original Bible, to the story from creating Adam and Eve, up to the worldwide flood. Most of who has studied the Bible must have had his/her own thoughts regarding these lacking parts. Does this mean that the Bible is incomplete? On the other hand, is it righteous to add after-notes to a religious book like the Bible?
I do not believe the Bible is incomplete. There would not be enough room to write everything about God! I believe it is as complete as God wants it to be, we are not meant to know everything because we are not on the same realm as God. We are human, He is spiritual so we could not comprehend it all in our present state. That is just my opinion. Is it righteous to add after-notes to a religious book like the Bible? I say it is not righteous. I understand the author is using his imagination to fill in the gaps, which is what makes the book fiction. However, in the story of Adam and Eve, there wasn't just gaps being filled in, there were changes made to what the Bible actually says, which I have a problem with. I will continue reading to see how it goes unless I feel too much is being changed and not just being 'filled in.' Thanks for these questions!
I totally agree with you. I'm not a Christian, but based on the facts I already know regarding the Bible, I don't think that the Bible is incomplete. Therefore, it's better to take this just as a work of fiction.
spencermack
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by spencermack »

The Bible are stories to help live a life. They aren't fact or literal. The moral of the story is what is key. Not incomplete, but people can't make a story and say it should be in the Bible.
Spencer Mack
Sushan Ekanayake

writestuff wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 22:31 The bible is most definitely incomplete. The original texts are gigantic and get a little lost in translation and politics. This book however took possibilities and went with it for entertainment. Its funny how some people get upset over different interpretation but on almost every tv show, God's name is used in vain and its cool. Not trying to ruffle feathers its just my opinion.
Ofcourse. Every TV show uses it and changes it more or less

- Bill Gates -

Sushan Ekanayake

Erandi Ekanayake wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 23:19
I totally agree with you. I'm not a Christian, but based on the facts I already know regarding the Bible, I don't think that the Bible is incomplete. Therefore, it's better to take this just as a work of fiction.
This is fiction, there is no argument regarding that, and also there is no way to cross check the details even if we wanted to

- Bill Gates -

Sushan Ekanayake

spencermack wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 23:26 The Bible are stories to help live a life. They aren't fact or literal. The moral of the story is what is key. Not incomplete, but people can't make a story and say it should be in the Bible.
Yes, no one can say so, but anyone can make his/her own suggestions

- Bill Gates -

Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Honest-reviewer »

I think the Bible is incomplete is some ways. But the stories in it are very inspiring and helpful.

Return to “Discuss "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman”