God the Father

Use this forum to discuss the June 2020 Book of the month, "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman.
Dee_Robert
Favorite Author: C. S. Lewis
Currently Reading: Reel sisters
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-robert.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
fav_author_id: 4569

Re: God the Father

Post by Dee_Robert »

Bookreviwer2020 wrote: 03 Jun 2020, 13:28 I guess it depends on someone's beliefs. Some Christians believe in these things. However, I find the whole idea of our Creator being a 'father' and having sons is like a polytheism belief. However, the book is only fictional and he is writing to interest people so I think he is trying to entertain more than anything
Polytheism belief...interesting.
For me, For man & For God.
-Dee.
Dee_Robert

Post by Dee_Robert »

Raju Chacko wrote: 03 Jun 2020, 22:59 Isiah 46:10 says "I make known the end from the beginning, from ancient times, what is still to come. I say, 'My purpose will stand, and I will do all that I please.'" Interestingly, the author's stand differs from this scripture. And Psalm 139:4 states that "Before a word is on my tongue you, Lord, know it completely." Both scriptures seem to imply that God already knew everything that would happen from the beginning to the end when he created man. There is nothing that will come as a surprise to Him. As He has perfect foreknowledge, He can control future events and turn destiny in whichever direction He wants. The author takes a different view which leads to a different interpretation between the state of affairs between God and man.
This is true and scriptural but you must agree that God has given us free will and therefore his actions are held back by what we chose.
Maybe that's what the author was referring to, in perspective.
-Dee.
Dee_Robert

Post by Dee_Robert »

Wyzdomania_Gskillz wrote: 04 Jun 2020, 10:23 Well, I think God is not limited in any sense. Whether when viewed through the lenses of the fictional representation in the book or otherwise. God set in place the rules that govern the earth including freewill for His children. He cannot hence, be considered as limited because He respects the rules he put in place for order. His children are however, limited in their ability to maximise their free will to choose God's best for them. God's ultimate purposes always comes to realisation even if the immediate one doesn't get actualised in any of His children's lives. That is a function of their own limitation not His
Oh, I like how you said it, limited by their freewill to enjoy Gods best for them, I agree a 100%
-Dee.
Dee_Robert

Post by Dee_Robert »

Jacktone Ogada wrote: 05 Jun 2020, 00:40 I would advice reading the book without religious prejudices whatsoever. Anyway, I have usually found the issue tricky. God is said to have given man free will to do whatsoever he pleases but is portrayed as having planned their lives and destinies before they were even born. So are we living what was already planned or what we choose? Do we even choose our lives if it was already planned? :eusa-think: :eusa-think:
The issue is tricky but I'll tell you as someone explained to me before
God gives man the freewill to exist within the borders of his already made plan. So think of the plan as long term, already set in stone, already rolling.
See your life as someone who can choose to be in Gods plan or out of it by the choices you make each day. God hopes you choose his way and fit into his overall plan but He doesn't force you to.
He doesn't interfere.
-Dee.
Dee_Robert

Post by Dee_Robert »

Ana-Maria-Diana wrote: 05 Jun 2020, 03:19 I think that resembles a lot what I have read recently and it is because parents teach us to be the way they are because they don't know other way even if they would want us to be different. So God limites his children action because He knows no other way to teach them and his children limit his actions because they want to be different, but don't know how to really do it, only to rebel against him. This can be seen and very often used when Lucifer is described as the son of God how go against him. A kind of different perspective.
Well that's different. But Christians may argue with you there because God is all knowing, his knowledge is pure and clean and life.
I think a better perspective would be that He sees the good and the bad way and encourages us to live in the good way which is the way He lives.
-Dee.
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Melisa Jane »

I believe the author meant that the evil actions of God's children can force Him to abandon them. If He abandons them, then there success will obviously be limited.
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
Dee_Robert

Post by Dee_Robert »

Jacktone Ogada wrote: 05 Jun 2020, 00:40 I would advice reading the book without religious prejudices whatsoever. Anyway, I have usually found the issue tricky. God is said to have given man free will to do whatsoever he pleases but is portrayed as having planned their lives and destinies before they were even born. So are we living what was already planned or what we choose? Do we even choose our lives if it was already planned? :eusa-think: :eusa-think:
How does one read a book based off the Bible without religious prejudices?
That's almost unreal
-Dee.
Melisa Jane
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Melisa Jane »

Nerea wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 14:48 Personally, I don't find the idea fascinating. It sound weird to me.
I agree with you. The sentence isn't as "amazing" as they want us to believe. In fact, it's more complex and weird than it appears.
Dee_Robert

Post by Dee_Robert »

Susmita Biswas wrote: 04 Jun 2020, 09:12 I think God has already given us everything. He gave us a heart to love, a mind to choose from evil and good. It's up to our decision now.
Yes, I agree Susmita.
The part of freewill that Christians seem to talk about
-Dee.
Melisa Jane

Post by Melisa Jane »

Officialboluwatife wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 16:08 I wouldn't say. This book touches the fundamentals of the Christian religion in relation to other fiction. This fiction can be misleading to non-religious people who won't be able to define where the fiction lies.
I can't really say that it's misleading. If they understand that this is purely a work of fiction that isn't meant to replace the original biblical stories, then they'll enjoy them.
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen

~ Scott Hughes
Dee_Robert

Post by Dee_Robert »

JM Reviews wrote: 05 Jun 2020, 08:45 I believe the author meant that the evil actions of God's children can force Him to abandon them. If He abandons them, then there success will obviously be limited.
I disagree
That's not like God, he doesn't abandon.
The Bible says his kindness leads the rebellious children to repentance.
-Dee.
Melisa Jane

Post by Melisa Jane »

AmyMarie2171 wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 16:37 It sounds like very uncommon theology. Much of the foundation of Christianity rests on the building block of God being an omnipotent, omniscient Creator. The interpretation that I would glean from this statement that still fits widely accepted Christian theology would be that God is limited only in the knowledge that he has given His children free will. He CAN step in, but He doesn't always because people are free to make their own choices. It is a controversial statement to connect to a book that hinges on religion.
Yeah, as Christians, we believe that God is all knowing and able. I don't think most Christians would agree that the actions of humans could limit God's ability.

~ Scott Hughes
Melisa Jane

Post by Melisa Jane »

Dee_Robert wrote: 05 Jun 2020, 08:49
JM Reviews wrote: 05 Jun 2020, 08:45 I believe the author meant that the evil actions of God's children can force Him to abandon them. If He abandons them, then there success will obviously be limited.
I disagree
That's not like God, he doesn't abandon.
The Bible says his kindness leads the rebellious children to repentance.
In a biblical context, Christians are given free will to choose whether or not to give God a place in their hearts. God doesn't force you to follow him, unless you want to. I think that's why there is confession through the word of mouth.

~ Scott Hughes
Melisa Jane

Post by Melisa Jane »

Reubeney wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 17:05 I think God has given man a free will to make their own choices and may be that's where He gets limited. Nonetheless, it sounds like a confusing statement to discuss much about.
Yeah, this is what I was trying to explain. God has given humans a free will to choose whether or not to follow him. God limits his actions to those who choose not to follow him, that's why there is hell

~ Scott Hughes
Melisa Jane

Post by Melisa Jane »

Katie Canedy wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 17:27 The idea makes sense if one has an understanding of the Bible and how God treats His children. God provides unconditional love to us, which is why I say this.
I agree with you that God provides an unconditional love to his children. I think the statement can mean that God doesn't force anyone to follow him.

~ Scott Hughes

Return to “Discuss "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman”