Overall rating and opinion of "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman

Use this forum to discuss the June 2020 Book of the month, "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman.
Abacus
Favorite Book: Elizabeth's Garden
Currently Reading: Zonas de
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abacus.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman

Post by Abacus »

Killing Able by Michael Tieman. Michael likes to spend time thinking, the results of which is the Old Testament stories fleshed out in an imaginative way. He provides some thought-provoking ideas about Adam, Eve, Lucifer/Satan/snake, the tree of life, through to Noah and the second beginning of the world. I was blown away by his creativity. Nothing to dislike. 4 out of 4 stars.
FaithMO19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmo19.html
Latest Review: Final Diagnosis by J. T. Madicus

Post by FaithMO19 »

I have read the review of this book and I like the theme, but I think some Christians might not enjoy the book because it makes it seem as if the Bible is incomplete which is contrary to their belief.
Usuma Khan
Currently Reading: Hands Across The Sea
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Usuma Khan »

Had my eyes on this book for a long time but couldn't get it from Amazon. Now that I have it, it lived up to all my expectations. A creative way of reinterpreting biblical stories.🌸

Readers know it. Authors know it. Publishers know it. A promising review sells books! :roll2:
Kelsey Fulton
Favorite Book: Villette
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsey-fulton.html
Latest Review: Man Shark by Gerald Knight
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Kelsey Fulton »

I loved this book right from the first chapter. Filling in the gaps of the Bible in a creative way is a fun idea and allows readers to use their imaginations more. Tieman's writing is appealing, full of details, human emotions, and conversations. I also like that he uses Bible passages as the foundation of the story and includes them throughout the book. I haven't finished it, but so far I would give it 4 out of 4 stars.
"Everything is nothing, with a twist." -Kurt Vonnegut
IchbineinBerliner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ichbineinberliner.html
Latest Review: The Memoir Man by Frances Webb

Post by IchbineinBerliner »

FaithMO19 wrote: 03 Jun 2020, 09:29 I have read the review of this book and I like the theme, but I think some Christians might not enjoy the book because it makes it seem as if the Bible is incomplete which is contrary to their belief.
I agree. I still love the book, but there are a lot of fundamentalists out there who won't.
Bookreviwer2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviwer2020.html
Latest Review: Puzzle of Fate by A. Reza Kamarei

Post by Bookreviwer2020 »

It does seem interesting and creative to write a book based around biblical stories. I have not read all of it so can't really rare it
Reading gives us somewhere to go when we have to stay where we are
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

JM Reviews wrote: 03 Jun 2020, 01:41
Leen282 wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 15:05
B Creech wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 11:26 I haven't started reading this book yet, but it sounds very intriguing! I can't wait to see where the author's imagination takes him through the Bible stories! I am trying to get a copy, Amazon was out!
I had a hard time getting the book, couldn't get it from Amazon, but you can download it in a special format under today's BOTD link, and there is information available on how to get the book in the folder you're usually reading from (phone, Kindle...).
I also realized that Amazon ran out of the book, but I still got my copy from OBC. Thanks for enlightening others.
You are welcome, I'm glad you got your copy. I got a copy too.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
ZettieOby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by ZettieOby »

The fact that writer was able to replicate this bible story without ridiculing the original book that is the bible is wonderful.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Post by Sam Ibeh »

I believe that there are some things that the Bible didn't capture, especially in the book of Genesis. Books like this draw out imaginations to them. I don't hold anything against this book as it was mostly a work of fiction.
Chipochashe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chipochashe.html
Latest Review: Body in the Woods by Behcet Kaya

Post by Chipochashe »

I rated the book 3 out of 4 stars due to errors. On a purely fictional basis, the book makes a good read. It is not accurate as far as biblical doctrine is concerned.
:D Only God gives the strength to smile in the face of death.
Yere123
Currently Reading: Shantaram
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnwagu1.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Yere123 »

I have yet to finish the novel yet but I have gotten through a large chunk of the 1st chapter and am already intrigued by what I see. What an interesting spin on the classic story we know!
Raju Chacko
Currently Reading: What Makes America Great
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raju-chacko.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Raju Chacko »

The Bible story of Cain and Abel (Gen. 4: 1-16) is a very brief, matter-of-fact account of the two as adults, giving little or no details about their boyhood days, their parents and sisters, the love they had for each other, and so on. This 'barebones' story isn't enjoyable to read, as it is. In fact, I found it repulsive. Tieman, by filling up the gaps skilfully, renders the story in a well-connected and highly polished form that I believe would appeal to modern readers. It's his work of transforming a rather 'barbaric' story into an enjoyable one that I like most. What I liked least is the story behind the mark God put on Cain's forehead.
The highest purpose of art is to inspire. What else can you do? What else can you do for anyone but inspire them? -Bob Dylan
DominicVenditti
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominicvenditti.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Post by DominicVenditti »

I feel as if it was a unique way of telling timeless tales. Really refreshing to have the stories told in a more modern style.
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Melisa Jane »

Dee_Robert wrote: 03 Jun 2020, 05:25
JM Reviews wrote: 03 Jun 2020, 01:46
Officialboluwatife wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 16:11 I will like to rate the book well. This is because I love learning new things and gathering knowledge. I won't recommend this book to non-religious people because it can give them another perspective or what Christianity really is.
To be honest, after reading this book, I think non-religious people will enjoy it as well. Even if they have no previous knowledge of the biblical stories, the book covers it for them.
I've noticed, this is true. Hopefully it does the work of drawing them closer of the Bible. Making the characters more relatable
Yeah, and his perspective on the events at the garden of Eden is interesting too. I liked how he views God's decisions to drive the man out of the garden, not as a punishment, but as a protective measure from Lucifer.
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

Since the author did not change the content of what is in the Bible. I think it deserves a 4 star rating.
Also everybody have their own view about anything. Some of his imaginations are subjective.

Return to “Discuss "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman”