Is the Bible incomplete?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2020 Book of the month, "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman.
Caffrey_19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caffrey-19.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Re: Is the Bible incomplete?

Post by Caffrey_19 »

I wouldn’t really say that the bible isn’t complete. But I might have some reservations regarding possible alterations, since there have been series of bible editions.
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

I believe the Bible is the holy Word of God, so it is complete. I believe that some things are left out of the Bible because God in all His wisdom knows that such knowledge will not benefit us.
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

I also do not find adding after-notes to the Bible good and I find such an action unrighteous, as it can lead believers astray, deceiving them to a lie.
Dannyphery
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dannyphery.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Dannyphery »

Personally I think the Bible is an amazing book with great mysteries and wisdom naturally beyond the human mind. Although i don't think that it was complete as it would be hard to gather the detail of all the accounts as they happened and would be cumbersome.
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

Officialboluwatife wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 16:04 Seeing the book is presented as fiction, I see no reason for the comparison. As Christians, I don't think our mind should be after the completeness of the bible. Rather it should be about the significance of the bible we have at hand in our life.
I agree. I think it would be different if the book were presented as fact or actual events that the author somehow knows about, but that wasn't the point of the book.
Wyzdomania_Gskillz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyzdomania-gskillz.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Wyzdomania_Gskillz »

Officialboluwatife wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 16:04 Seeing the book is presented as fiction, I see no reason for the comparison. As Christians, I don't think our mind should be after the completeness of the bible. Rather it should be about the significance of the bible we have at hand in our life.
I do agree with you. Proving if the bible is complete or not, doesn't really have any tangible consequence for someone who really believes it. We can be more than satisfied in knowing the impact of the wisdom presented in the bible as it is, and applies same to life.
Anyone can entertain themselves too with imagining some extra tales that aren't presented in the bible, as long as it doesn't take away from the authenticity of the book and its author!
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Quest: Finding Freddie
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

B Creech wrote: 02 Jun 2020, 10:58
Sushan wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 20:15
B Creech wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 18:13
I do not believe the Bible is incomplete. There would not be enough room to write everything about God! I believe it is as complete as God wants it to be, we are not meant to know everything because we are not on the same realm as God. We are human, He is spiritual so we could not comprehend it all in our present state. That is just my opinion. Is it righteous to add after-notes to a religious book like the Bible? I say it is not righteous. I understand the author is using his imagination to fill in the gaps, which is what makes the book fiction. However, in the story of Adam and Eve, there wasn't just gaps being filled in, there were changes made to what the Bible actually says, which I have a problem with. I will continue reading to see how it goes unless I feel too much is being changed and not just being 'filled in.' Thanks for these questions!
Changing the original scripture is not acceptable. Yet, if the whole thing is a fiction, can't it be taken as fair?
You're right about changing the original scripture is not acceptable. If the whole book is fiction then most would say it's fair; but I feel like it is making fun of the Bible and for me, personally, I don't think anyone should do that.
When taken in that manner, it is not a good thing to make use of the bible for fictional work
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Sushan Ekanayake

Bhuvana Subramanyam wrote: 02 Jun 2020, 11:46 I'm not a Christian and never read the Bible. But, what I know is that, with ancient texts, we can't possibly debate on their completeness or incompleteness. It all depends on our belief and how we perceive it!
Debating on facts is useless. Yet we can logically think about something and try to imagine or propose possibilities

- Bill Gates -

Sushan Ekanayake

_Lindsey_ wrote: 02 Jun 2020, 12:44 I think whether something is complete or not is a very ambiguous concept. It's down to the person interpreting and reading a text on whether or not they feel like it's complete.
That can be a subjective matter as well. But if something leaves the question, "so what happened here?" can't it be taken as incomplete?

- Bill Gates -

Sushan Ekanayake

AmyMarie2171 wrote: 02 Jun 2020, 14:17
Sushan wrote: 02 Jun 2020, 08:57
AmyMarie2171 wrote: 02 Jun 2020, 07:26

Absolutely. When the early church was in development stages, they formed a council to choose what books of the Bible were most accurate and appropriate to serve as the foundational text of the church. That is what became the traditional Christian Bible. There are quite a few texts that were left out for one reason or another that are not considered "scripture," but they are interesting reading! Definitely worth checking out!
That is a fact that is nice to know. So for some reason, those parts which were left out might have been too fictional to be included in a religious scripture
Yeah, it could have been that their credibility was questionable, or they didn't have enough relevance to the overall purpose of the Bible.
Fictions don't matter when the overall purpose of the bible is taken into matter. In that aspect, the bible carries what it needs to have

- Bill Gates -

Sushan Ekanayake

Caffrey_19 wrote: 02 Jun 2020, 14:31 I wouldn’t really say that the bible isn’t complete. But I might have some reservations regarding possible alterations, since there have been series of bible editions.
Yes, the editings might have caused some alterations, and we can consider our own thoughts in such places

- Bill Gates -

Sushan Ekanayake

Nickolas Farmakis wrote: 02 Jun 2020, 16:05 I believe the Bible is the holy Word of God, so it is complete. I believe that some things are left out of the Bible because God in all His wisdom knows that such knowledge will not benefit us.
Maybe you are correct. The sole reason for some parts being left out maybe because they don't benefit the reader

- Bill Gates -

Sushan Ekanayake

Nickolas Farmakis wrote: 02 Jun 2020, 16:06 I also do not find adding after-notes to the Bible good and I find such an action unrighteous, as it can lead believers astray, deceiving them to a lie.
But if it is fictional work, and your faith is strong enough, will it cause a problem?

- Bill Gates -

Sushan Ekanayake

Dannyphery wrote: 02 Jun 2020, 16:57 Personally I think the Bible is an amazing book with great mysteries and wisdom naturally beyond the human mind. Although i don't think that it was complete as it would be hard to gather the detail of all the accounts as they happened and would be cumbersome.
That is possible. Maybe the details have been left out to compact the bible into a more reasonable size

- Bill Gates -

Sushan Ekanayake

Juliana_Isabella wrote: 02 Jun 2020, 17:16
I agree. I think it would be different if the book were presented as fact or actual events that the author somehow knows about, but that wasn't the point of the book.
To present data as facts, there has to be strong background evidence to support that. That is how this book becomes a work of fiction

- Bill Gates -

Return to “Discuss "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman”