Is God Omniscient?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2020 Book of the month, "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Re: Is God Omniscient?

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

God is omniscient. However, the author didn't portray him in this light.
Dayodiola
Favorite Book: King of thots
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dayodiola.html
Latest Review: Unchecked capitalism is killing us! by Earl Rynerson
Reading Device: Adobe

Post by Dayodiola »

Yes, He is omniscient. I also believe He is well aware of things before they occur because He is the creator.
monicamu
Currently Reading: Wings Over Ghost Creek
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monicamu.html
Latest Review: Snow Country Lane by Sarah Vail

Post by monicamu »

This is a matter of belief.
The fact that God is portrayed as being fallible makes for a more interesting story IMHO
Angatia
Currently Reading: NADEEM'S JOURNEY
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angatia.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Angatia »

Anna Dougherty wrote: 25 Jun 2020, 12:45 I believe that God is omniscient, meaning that he knows all things that happened in the past, are currently happening and will happen in the future. In Killing Able God is seemingly unaware of some of the effects of the curses he bestowed on Adam and Eve. He seems surprised that the curses did not do exactly what he had in mind. How could this happen if he is God? I think it is interesting that the author chose to portray God in this way.
Killing Abel is not different from other stories or plays. One similarity is that they're all written by men - men who would at one point try to impose themselves as powerful, supernatural, or superior if you don't mind, to pass their message. How I understand the author's intentions in this book is far different from how I contextualize scriptures from religious books.
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

Yes I believe God is omniscient. Although I can't say exactly how the author portrayed God in this book, I myself have sometimes wondered why God seemed sad or supprised at his creatures behavior. For instance before God destroys the world (in Genesis), the Bible states that God repented (regretted) making man. And I thought, 'didn't he know the extent of the wickedness of man before making him?'
So I came to this conclusion that God puts before us the 'right' and the 'wrong' decisions. He hopes we'll take the 'right' decision. But if we don't, he is sad, or regrets our decision.
Live and let live, baby.
WardahEbrahim
Currently Reading: Little Women
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wardahebrahim.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by WardahEbrahim »

I agree with you. I think the authors interpretation is wild in a way. He humanizes God too much. I think your point goes hand in hand with the problem of associating God to a father.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

AnnOgochukwu wrote: 15 Jul 2020, 09:22 Yes I believe God is omniscient. Although I can't say exactly how the author portrayed God in this book, I myself have sometimes wondered why God seemed sad or supprised at his creatures behavior. For instance before God destroys the world (in Genesis), the Bible states that God repented (regretted) making man. And I thought, 'didn't he know the extent of the wickedness of man before making him?'
So I came to this conclusion that God puts before us the 'right' and the 'wrong' decisions. He hopes we'll take the 'right' decision. But if we don't, he is sad, or regrets our decision.
I agree with you. God does want us to make right choices. No wonder we are asked to choose life in the Bible.
tieman55
Favorite Author: Michael Tieman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 167631

Post by tieman55 »

Zee_Zee wrote: 13 Jul 2020, 11:59 God is omniscient. However, the author didn't portray him in this light.
Can God chose to forget something?
Can God chose to place something out of His mind, if He wants to?
Can you force God to remember everything?
To what minute detail can you force God to remember?
Can you force God to look at something He doesn't want to see?
Can you force God to look at your or my sin?

Could God, if He wanted to, create a being that was to some extent, unpredictable?

If your answer is yes, then you must consider that He might have done just that.
If your answer is no, then you must reconsider God's omnipotence.

It is one thing to repeat what most people accept as true, it is quite another thing to consider if the cliche is indeed true.
Last edited by tieman55 on 16 Jul 2020, 10:54, edited 1 time in total.
tieman55
Currently Reading:

Post by tieman55 »

WardahEbrahim wrote: 15 Jul 2020, 13:09 I agree with you. I think the authors interpretation is wild in a way. He humanizes God too much. I think your point goes hand in hand with the problem of associating God to a father.
God made man in His image. What does that mean?

God's power is beyond human understanding, so in no way human.
God's intellect is beyond human understanding, so in no way human.
God's love for His children is very human. or conversely our love for our children is very Godly.
God made us to Love our children in His image, of the way He loves His/our children.
God is a loving Father. Portraying Him in any other way would be an insult to Him.
tieman55
Currently Reading:

Post by tieman55 »

monicamu wrote: 15 Jul 2020, 00:16 This is a matter of belief.
The fact that God is portrayed as being fallible makes for a more interesting story IMHO
RE "fallible"

Take Gen: 6:6 as an example.

In Gen: 6:6 (chose the biblical translation of this scripture that you prefer): it is clear that God was sorry/sad/repented and or lamented that He had made man.

I don't see that truth as a failure of God. You can only see that as a failure, if you have never loved and lost.
Love is the foundation for both hope and faith and God had all of those for mankind, but it didn't go as He had hoped. That is not his failure. Trusting someone who lets you down is not a failure! That is what fathers do.

God is a real Father and any real Father has his disappointments, that is what it means to be a father. Then again, as a father you can sometimes feel like a failure . . . It is possible that God had those feelings in Gen:6
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

ohlendorfbe wrote: 26 Jun 2020, 10:27 I agree with you that the author of this book does not really portray God as omniscient, because he is surprised by the acts of men. The omniscient God that I believe in is all-knowing. I think the author made the Trinity with too many fallible characteristics.
I agree with your comment. But since the book doesn't replace the biblical teachings, there's no harm in the author's way of writing.
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
jerimiahsebastian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerimiahsebastian.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by jerimiahsebastian »

Yes, i believe God is omniscient. it's a good thing to note that the book was written from fictional perspectives.
Olabode Joshua
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olabode-joshua.html
Latest Review: Natural Born Gangster: The Legend of Chris Bell by C J H Moore
Reading Device: B0042D75TU

Post by Olabode Joshua »

God is omniscient but we humans can do whatever we like because we have freewill. It's just like an AI robot thinking for itself. It will surprise the creator but that doesn't mean the creator was totally unaware of it's abilities.
Remember, we are passers-by in this realm
Chiagbanwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiagbanwe.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Chiagbanwe »

YES! Absolutely. God is OMNISCIENT. I believe he knows and is aware of everything. Nothing ever takes him unawares. And as he is omniscient, we don't know all he has in mind or why his actions are the way they are. All we can do is trust in all he does and believe it will end well for us
Alexandros92
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandros92.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Alexandros92 »

God is all-knowing because he is everything. He exists simultaneously in all places and thus has ultimate understanding.

Return to “Discuss "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman”