Overall rating and opinion of "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman

Use this forum to discuss the June 2020 Book of the month, "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman.
Essywa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essywa.html
Latest Review: ...on your way home...Do This by George Six

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman

Post by Essywa »

Alexandros92 wrote: 20 Jul 2020, 07:03 I just wished it would go even further and describe the culture of the first people, how they were dressed and cooked and their customs in more detail. Very good effort overall :)
I always ask myself these kind of questions,I would also would like to know too.
Chickenwings00
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chickenwings00.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Chickenwings00 »

Firstly, I will recommend this book specifically to Christians. Other religions might not like it. This book takes a deep dive to the life of Adam and Eve. The snake convinced Eve to eat the apple,so she can have the knowledge of GOD. She did and also convinced Adam. The story also takes us through the life of Cain and Abel down to Noah.
Cyrus Michino
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyrus-michino.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Cyrus Michino »

The title "Killing Abel" itself is captivating enough to make a reader, more so religious persons want to satisfy curiosities regarding Biblical and religious events. The book is a collection scriptures in Genesis of the Bible's old testament that fulfill and satisfy reasons as to why the elder brother Cain, would end up killing his younger brother Abel. That said, I however do not acknowledge or justify the act of committing murder, especially to you own blood. I'd therefore give it a 3 out of 4 star rating.
Glamour92
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Glamour92 »

The plot, though revolving around the bible was well put together and engaging. The author’s creativity in filling in the gaps with personal views is amazing. This book gets 4 out of 4 stars for me.
gatuguta2030
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gatuguta2030.html
Latest Review: Spirit of the Season by Brian Lamont

Post by gatuguta2030 »

This is a good book for Christians. Well reviewed.
Koketso1998
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-koketso1998.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Koketso1998 »

This book held my attention captive from start to finish. While being fiction, and some parts more obviously than others, Michael Tieman's approach is novel and interesting. I’m giving this book 5 stars because the book was edited skillfully and the language is family-friendly, but this story does have content containing incest, fratricide, violence, intercourse, slavery, and death.
Ediomis_Enwongo01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ediomis-enwongo01.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Ediomis_Enwongo01 »

The controversial issues raised by the author especially that of saying, Adam and Eve had many daughters before Cain and Abel sound like heresy. This affected my rating of the book.
baha Ibrahim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-baha-ibrahim.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by baha Ibrahim »

I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in Bible stories. It’s an interesting take on a well-known subject and might be enjoyed by those who want an entertaining timeline of that period. Contrary to the title, this book covers more than just the murder of Abel. It encompasses the trials and hardships of the time and gives a closer look at how Cain’s unrepented sin played a part in the corruption that followed
Frannie Annie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frannie-annie.html
Latest Review: Emergence by Shira Shiloah

Post by Frannie Annie »

I'd recommend it to Christians and people who enjoy philosophy and religious texts. Outside of that, not really.
lwahls2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lwahls2.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by lwahls2 »

I thought Killing Abel was a super interesting book. It brought to life the story of Cain and Abel in a different way than the Bible does. It expands on many Biblical events and I think offers a different POV. I enjoyed it and would recommend it to any Christians who don't mind reading expansion of Biblical stories. I can see some staunch religious folks being offended by the contents because it does deviate from the Bible ever so slightly. Or maybe deviate isn't the right word. It takes liberties and details with situations from the Bible.
Laura Martin

“Because when you are imagining, you might as well imagine something worthwhile.”
― Lucy Maud Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Andra2005
Currently Reading: City of Bones
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andra2005.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Andra2005 »

I haven't read this whole book yet but it sounds very interesting and it really made me curious about how the author combines fiction with religion.
It was books that made me feel that perhaps I was not completely alone.
Ms_Rita30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ms-rita30.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Ms_Rita30 »

I think that a sturdy religious background is required before reading this book. The author did an excellent job creatively filling the gaps in the creation story with his imaginations. What I liked most about the book were the questions the characters often asked themselves. These led me to reflect on them and try to answer them myself. On the other hand, I didn't like that God wasn't presented as all knowing. He was severally depicted as being taken by surprise as events unfolded on earth.

I would definitely recommend this book to others as it would afford anyone who reads it an opportunity to reflect on their beliefs. I would rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars.
Star_and_Buck
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star-and-buck.html
Latest Review: Abby the Dog and Tigger the Cat by P.L. (Patricia) Rainey

Post by Star_and_Buck »

Another book based on Christianity. I am not a christian so I found hard times reading the full book and eventually dropped reqding. I can only give it a 2 star rating out of 4.
underthe_cloudyskies
Currently Reading: The Catcher in the Rye
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-underthe-cloudyskies.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by underthe_cloudyskies »

Being not a Christian comes in the way of relating to the book. But its good fiction.
Mukukamm30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mukukamm30.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Mukukamm30 »

It's an interesting fictional book. It is narrated on personal opinion, so it is expected that his belief will be more significant. In his attempt to feel the gaps in the Bible he raised more questions than answers about the Christian faith such as if God is really omnipotent.

Return to “Discuss "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman”