Overall rating and opinion of "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman

Use this forum to discuss the June 2020 Book of the month, "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman.
gelli_baranda
Favorite Book: Killing Abel
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gelli-baranda.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman

Post by gelli_baranda »

Tamorie21 wrote: 03 Jul 2020, 15:33
Katie Canedy wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 17:21 The fact that the author was able to fill in the gaps using the human imagination was relieving in a way. I feel that the Bible does leave out the "nitty-gritty" if you will. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. :)
Yes, I totally agree! Very creative, don't you think?
This is what makes me interested in reading this book. I've always been curious about what really happened throughout the Bible's history concerning those missing gaps, as I'm sure other people are, and while this is a fictional account, it still seems to be satisfying! I think I'll read it soon enough :)
Happy reading,
Gelli xoxo
gelli_baranda

Post by gelli_baranda »

Agree. Though the book might not appeal to those with different views on religion.
Iyanuoluwa09 wrote: 03 Jul 2020, 11:22 This book that's about the begining of the world. The book gives three different story about biblical events. I enjoyed the story of Adam and Eve and also Noah and the ark. The rating was perfect and I recommend this book to people who enjoy religious books.
Happy reading,
Gelli xoxo
gelli_baranda

Post by gelli_baranda »

I also think that it's very smart of him to do so. Filling in the gaps with the writer's own imagination gives us a different view on the bible events. It's actually a good conversation starter.
Porcupineapple15 wrote: 02 Jul 2020, 21:03
Nelson Chocha wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 09:57 The Bible is a collection of sacred texts or scriptures. Varying parts of the Bible are considered to be a product of divine inspiration and a record of the relationship between God and humans by Christians, Jews, Samaritans, and Rastafari.

The plots in Killing Abel has not changed a single context in the words of the Bible, but the author's imagination fills in the gaps which led to difficult acknowledgement to some of the readers of the Bible. I really think this is the book is amazing, that is why I will rate it 4 out of 4 stars.
I agree! I think Tieman did a fantastic job with creating new stories where gaps were created by the original writers of scripture. For me personally, it did change some of the mystery surrounding events in the Bible, especially within the Old Testament, but I have a deeper understanding of Christianity now because of Tieman's intriguing novel!
Happy reading,
Gelli xoxo
victoriasimons
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoriasimons.html

Post by victoriasimons »

Having studied the Bible quite closely before, there are lots of gaps and questions raised by some of the stories. Many stories are told multiple times by different narrators, opening them up to even further interpretation. Therefore, I'm really intrigued to read this author's imaginative take on them.
Topsey
Currently Reading: Something Wicked This Way Comes
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topsey.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Topsey »

Cynthia_Oluchi wrote: 02 Jun 2020, 02:14 Everyone Christian is conversant with this Bible story but adding personal views to is a suspense-trigger which I really enjoyed! I like that the most about this book. It receives a 4 out of 4 stars from me.
Yes, I agree with you. The personal views and choice of theories to include adds suspense and intrigue to stories I have heard many times.
TADSAILS
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tadsails.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by TADSAILS »

I loved the creative used by the author while writing this book. I never imagined the connecting stories would be possible. But I would not recommend it for non-religious people.
Munachimso_Nwaogazie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-munachimso-nwaogazie.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Munachimso_Nwaogazie »

I haven't read the book yet but I will read it soon. I have seen a lot of comments about it, its relationship with the Bible and I think it will be an intriguing one.
TrudiNZ
Favorite Book: Stranger in a Strange Land
Currently Reading: The Illuminatus! Trilogy
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trudinz.html

Post by TrudiNZ »

I was disappointed in this book. I feel it has been classified in the wrong genre as it read more like an explanation of Christian theology rather than a real historical perspective. I thought the characters weren't very convincing in their interactions with each other or their internal monologues. I would recommend this to my christian friends, or people interested in theology/philosophy, but I wouldn't recommend it as historical fiction. I gave this book a 2 out of 4 overall.
Jyockel08
Currently Reading: EMP honeymoon: kelly & tom
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jyockel08.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Jyockel08 »

I always appreciate the opinions others share before I choose a book. I want to make sure I will have interest in it, and I feel like everyone’s opinions have helped me in this case. Thanks!
angieray1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angieray1.html
Latest Review: Stranded In The Wild by Gary Rodriguez

Post by angieray1 »

After reading some of the comments, I realize that this book is a lot more Bible-based than I thought.
angieray1
Currently Reading:

Post by angieray1 »

Jyockel08 wrote: 05 Jul 2020, 21:29 I always appreciate the opinions others share before I choose a book. I want to make sure I will have interest in it, and I feel like everyone’s opinions have helped me in this case. Thanks!
My sentiments exactly!
angieray1
Currently Reading:

Post by angieray1 »

Juliet+1 wrote: 20 Jun 2020, 00:01 This is definitely a four-star book. There is a lot of good material in the Christian bible, and the author makes the most of it, brings the classic stories to life in a new and very imaginative way.
That's good to hear!
angieray1
Currently Reading:

Post by angieray1 »

do20 wrote: 29 Jun 2020, 10:51 This book sounds interesting and I am particularly impressed by the how the author took care of not changing a single word from the bible. I really need to get a copy of this book.
That's amazing! Usually you don't hear of authors doing that.
angieray1
Currently Reading:

Post by angieray1 »

ivana7 wrote: 24 Jun 2020, 10:35 I am really intrigued by the book reading the good reviews and comments!
I'm intrigued too!
Marxell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28

Post by Marxell »

This is one of a kind religious book,that brings in good ideas. With the help of the stories in the Bible,the author is able to make out a masterpiece, full of interesting facts. I love the book.i would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars

Return to “Discuss "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman”