Is the Bible incomplete?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2020 Book of the month, "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman.
moonopam
Currently Reading: Four Kittens in the Bathroom
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moonopam.html
Latest Review: Do I Need a Will or a Trust by Taylor Willingham

Re: Is the Bible incomplete?

Post by moonopam »

I think the bible is complete. Whatever is missing is not relevant. since the bible is inspired by God, it means only relevant things were added and whatever was not added meant it wouldn't change much of our situations.It starts with the genesis and ends with the revelation. I belief whatever is not in the bible God did not intend it to be there.In other words the bible is complete.
Sakura19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sakura19.html
Latest Review: Last Words from Above by Jeremy Brown

Post by Sakura19 »

I do believe that the Bible is complete and there is no question in this area. There is no reason comparing the bible and the book. The Bible is based on facts. As we all know the book is a work of fiction that is pushed in between bible stories.
nancy njoki
Currently Reading: Surviving Life As An Actor
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancy-njoki.html
Latest Review: Last Dance by Stephen Manning

Post by nancy njoki »

To me the Bible is complete. In the book of Revelation there is a stunning warning no one is supposed to add or subtract anything. remember it was written by inspired men so they couldn't have left out anything.
Ogbara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86

Post by Ogbara »

Sushan wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 20:11
AmyMarie2171 wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 16:12 I don't think the two are connected at all. If the Bible had included every detail about every story beyond what is absolutely critical, then we'd never be able to finish reading it. Since the Bible was put together by councils who chose what would be canon, we know that some of what was originally written was left out. Nevertheless, 2 Timothy 3:16 says that "All scripture is given by inspiration of God," so I tend to believe that what is in the Bible now is complete due to divine inspiration.
That is reasonable. So the bible might have been more lengthy in the early days of writing it?
Like it is said in the book of 2 Timothy 3:16 that "All scripture is given by inspiration of God," which means, what we have now as the Bible is all we need.
Ogbara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86

Post by Ogbara »

Sushan wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 20:05
Nerea wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 14:46 I believe that the Bible is complete. When you read the book of Revelation 22:18,19 you'll realize that adding or subtracting contents into or from the Bible is not right whatsoever.
I thought the same. But what about the feeling of 'stories are jumping from one point to the other', when reading the parts of creation?
Yes, I did feel that, but I realized that those supposed missing information were not worth it, if they were, they would have been inspired into the bible.
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by RHD »

The Bible is complete. Adding afternotes is just like reviewing a book. That's why God gave us opinions and choices.
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

Leen282 wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 15:08 Since the book is presented as fiction, I don't think it is meant to be read as trying to complete the Bible. For me one has nothing to do with the other.
I agree!
As it is fiction, anything goes. Adding or subtracting to or from the bible in the book is of no real world consequence.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
Black Tulip
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Black Tulip »

I think the bible is incomplete.. and i think it should have been written again and again with the development of civilisation.. more developed the man is, he forget s the moral values and bible should "update" to bring him again to the righteous path
GianKosi77
Favorite Author: M. Curtis McCoy
Currently Reading: Divided World
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-giankosi77.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 197138

Post by GianKosi77 »

I don't think the Bible is incomplete. The author is just being creative that the readers may enjoy the story.
And a highway will be there; it will be called the Way of Holiness.
Gift5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gift5.html
Latest Review: Shield Down by William de Berg

Post by Gift5 »

Leen282 wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 15:08 Since the book is presented as fiction, I don't think it is meant to be read as trying to complete the Bible. For me one has nothing to do with the other.
I agree, seeing that the book is fictional so it has no bases of comparison with the bible.
Gift5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gift5.html
Latest Review: Shield Down by William de Berg

Post by Gift5 »

Ogbara wrote: 23 Oct 2020, 08:45
Sushan wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 20:05
Nerea wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 14:46 I believe that the Bible is complete. When you read the book of Revelation 22:18,19 you'll realize that adding or subtracting contents into or from the Bible is not right whatsoever.
I thought the same. But what about the feeling of 'stories are jumping from one point to the other', when reading the parts of creation?
Yes, I did feel that, but I realized that those supposed missing information were not worth it, if they were, they would have been inspired into the bible.
That is true!
63tty
Favorite Author: Tayma Tameem
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 349
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-63tty.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White
fav_author_id: 199293

Post by 63tty »

I think the best explanation would be, some Churches make modified bibles out of the Bible itself and teach it to their congregation as well as sell them.
I know a church that does that.
But also, the book is fiction, it's all about the author's imagination.
“If love is the answer, could you rephrase the question?”
~Lily Tomlin
talli_5
Currently Reading: Royal Assassin
Bookshelf Size: 40

Post by talli_5 »

The thing about the bible that people need to understand is that it is only an interpretation. Originally it was written by the followers of Jesus Christ, but many of the original writings have been lost. The bible we all have access to nowadays is a heavily revised version. It has been revised by popes and kings alike. What makes the religion is the overall morals, not the outdated and nonoriginal stories passed off as the word of God. Which it isn't. Because, as we know, God doesn't have a hand to write us notes or a mouth to speak to us. For this reason, everything is up for interpretation, and the religion itself relies entirely upon your faith to believe it with no physical proof (the bible is not proof, as stated it is man made not God-made).
Liefvirannebelle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liefvirannebelle.html
Latest Review: Tales of the 70's by D.Done

Post by Liefvirannebelle »

We are told it's incomplete it's a known truth. I first wondered what the incomplete part has to do with it. Of course, the author refers to the missing parts and we are only to wonder what we have missed. Maybe giants did build the ark It makes sense and so does this book. It's at the very least fun to wonder if it could be true.
jimmy02
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimmy02.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by jimmy02 »

The Christian Bible was conceived quite a long time back. Since then, it has been revised multiple times by many a contemporary clergymen. These men didn't all belong to one specific time period. They were at times were centuries apart. I think these repeated revisions are the reason for 'gaps' in the narration as well the issue of Bible being somewhat 'incomplete'.
There is no friend as loyal as a book.
~ Ernst Hemingway

:techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Discuss "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman”