What would you change?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2020 Book of the month, "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman.
Dee_Robert
Favorite Author: C. S. Lewis
Currently Reading: Reel sisters
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-robert.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
fav_author_id: 4569

Re: What would you change?

Post by Dee_Robert »

Leen282 wrote: 02 Jun 2020, 00:16 I can't help but wonder if the author is serious or joking when he writes about Eve and her willingness to submit to Adam. Even Adam's reply sounds sarcastic to me: "That went well. She is going to listen to me after all. This is going to be easy."

I would prefer the author to make sure from the start that the reader knows if the author is writing a serious book or if he is adding comments like the above to add humor.
Haha. I can just imagine it
Be cautious, this is a comic relief, chill out kiddos
You make a valid point tho
For me, For man & For God.
-Dee.
Dee_Robert

Post by Dee_Robert »

Julehart1 wrote: 02 Jun 2020, 02:33 I probably wouldn’t change anything. I like that the author used his own imagination to make the story unique.
The author was creative and interesting no doubt.
And his story telling was very unique.
-Dee.
Dee_Robert

Post by Dee_Robert »

Anyway, I fond the author creative and his story telling amazing.
But I probably would like to change his perception of God in the book, as a Christian I do not completely agree with how he portrays God in it.
-Dee.
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

Dee_Robert wrote: 03 Jun 2020, 06:31
Leen282 wrote: 02 Jun 2020, 00:16 I can't help but wonder if the author is serious or joking when he writes about Eve and her willingness to submit to Adam. Even Adam's reply sounds sarcastic to me: "That went well. She is going to listen to me after all. This is going to be easy."

I would prefer the author to make sure from the start that the reader knows if the author is writing a serious book or if he is adding comments like the above to add humor.
Haha. I can just imagine it
Be cautious, this is a comic relief, chill out kiddos
You make a valid point tho
:lol: I guess I am reluctant to find it funny since religion is a topic where some people may get easily offended. But I like your suggested caveat 😁
Clorinda Donovan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clorinda-donovan.html
Latest Review: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog by Michelle Lander Feinberg

Post by Clorinda Donovan »

It is based on a biblical story and I do not like religious stories being reinvented. It seems disrespectful.
I would not rewrite it because I would not write it at all.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.

Confucius
Snowflake
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowflake.html
Latest Review: Don't Think Twice by Barbara Schoichet

Post by Snowflake »

I can see your point about wanting to know if the author is intentionally humorous or not. Reading your quote above did make me laugh!
peace starts with a smile...
Usuma Khan
Currently Reading: Hands Across The Sea
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Usuma Khan »

No offence to the author, but if I would ever want to learn about Christiany and it's take on Genesis, I would go for the Bible itself cause the author included his own perspectives to the originality.🌸
daphne_asir
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daphne-asir.html
Latest Review: WALK TALL - create your own self-confidence by Ki Is Your Host

Post by daphne_asir »

Dee_Robert wrote: 03 Jun 2020, 06:28
daphne_asir wrote: 02 Jun 2020, 02:08 I would have preferred it if the book was a bit more concise. I found it to be needlessly elaborate.
I understand this, although one may say its the elaborate nature that makes the story fill up the way it does
That's a valid point! I'm just glad people can appreciate the book just the way it is even though I can't.
No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality.
Shirley Jackson
J_odoyo
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-odoyo.html
Latest Review: Epicenter by Carrie Hannah

Post by J_odoyo »

Katie Canedy wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 17:28 I didn't find anything out of place, personally. I feel that the author's viewpoint and ideas fit well with the rest of the book. He uses the Bible's stories as well as his own viewpoint and was able to blend the two together well.
Exactly! I also find the author's ideas to blend perfectly well with the Bible's stories. I thinks I didn't have anything to question.
The more books you read the more choices you have
– Toni Morrison
Samisah
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samisah.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Samisah »

Readerjorge wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 18:46 I did not like that mixture of facts referenced in the bible with the author's imagination. I believe biblical stories are sacred and should not be mixed with innovative contributions that are not necessarily true.
I think I completely agree with you. For me, my Bible tales are not stuffs to toy with. There are sacred. And I value and hold them in high esteem.
Samisah
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Samisah »

spencermack wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 23:29 It's a work of fiction so different readers will carry different understandings. Every book can confirm biases or help people cahange. Depends on the person.
I can understand your viewpoint. But I find it difficult to label this book completely as a work of fiction. This is due to the fact that, despite the additions, it is still based on true events.
Samisah

Post by Samisah »

Dee_Robert wrote: 03 Jun 2020, 06:42 Anyway, I fond the author creative and his story telling amazing.
But I probably would like to change his perception of God in the book, as a Christian I do not completely agree with how he portrays God in it.
I quite agree with you. I think he wrote this more as an author rather than somebody that believed in God (I.e, if he were a Christian to begin with).
Free-man
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-free-man.html
Latest Review: The Fat Lady's Low, Sad Song by Brian Kaufman

Post by Free-man »

I would have loved that the author changed the aspect of neglecting to be elaborate on the story of Abel. If not, then he should change the title to something ddifferent, so as to fit to the main content of the stories he elaborated on.
Wyzdomania_Gskillz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyzdomania-gskillz.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Wyzdomania_Gskillz »

writestuff wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 23:27 I liked that I had to stop and think every so often. The concepts are plausible and pretty much what we do anyway. We accept the translation as correct and fill in what we don't understand as we ourselves read The Bible. Who knows what we could learn from the complete version.

I quite agree.
Just the fact that the bible doesn't narrate every single detail in the lives of the bible characters, leaves a lot of chance for us to use our imagination to fill in the blank spaces. This can be achieved though with utter respect for the goal and essence of the bible's narrative. The author did these two very well.
Alexandros92
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandros92.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Alexandros92 »

Personally, I would add more juicy details. As I wrote in my review, the characters just did not feel real enough and they seemed to represent one single emotion each. Some additional descriptional of the environment, the housing, and the rituals would be a plus.

Return to “Discuss "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman”