God the Father

Use this forum to discuss the June 2020 Book of the month, "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman.
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: God the Father

Post by Melisa Jane »

Dee_Robert wrote: 05 Jun 2020, 08:37
Wyzdomania_Gskillz wrote: 04 Jun 2020, 10:23 Well, I think God is not limited in any sense. Whether when viewed through the lenses of the fictional representation in the book or otherwise. God set in place the rules that govern the earth including freewill for His children. He cannot hence, be considered as limited because He respects the rules he put in place for order. His children are however, limited in their ability to maximise their free will to choose God's best for them. God's ultimate purposes always comes to realisation even if the immediate one doesn't get actualised in any of His children's lives. That is a function of their own limitation not His
Oh, I like how you said it, limited by their freewill to enjoy Gods best for them, I agree a 100%
But again, some people may argue that God knew us before we were born, he knows what we will do in future. If our future doings are already predetermined, is there a freewill? Really?
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
Melisa Jane
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Melisa Jane »

Dee_Robert wrote: 05 Jun 2020, 08:41
Jacktone Ogada wrote: 05 Jun 2020, 00:40 I would advice reading the book without religious prejudices whatsoever. Anyway, I have usually found the issue tricky. God is said to have given man free will to do whatsoever he pleases but is portrayed as having planned their lives and destinies before they were even born. So are we living what was already planned or what we choose? Do we even choose our lives if it was already planned? :eusa-think: :eusa-think:
The issue is tricky but I'll tell you as someone explained to me before
God gives man the freewill to exist within the borders of his already made plan. So think of the plan as long term, already set in stone, already rolling.
See your life as someone who can choose to be in Gods plan or out of it by the choices you make each day. God hopes you choose his way and fit into his overall plan but He doesn't force you to.
He doesn't interfere.
If I understand you correctly, do you mean that only our good paths are predetermined? Like God only knows our future if we choose his ways?
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen

~ Scott Hughes
Melisa Jane

Post by Melisa Jane »

Dee_Robert wrote: 05 Jun 2020, 08:43
Ana-Maria-Diana wrote: 05 Jun 2020, 03:19 I think that resembles a lot what I have read recently and it is because parents teach us to be the way they are because they don't know other way even if they would want us to be different. So God limites his children action because He knows no other way to teach them and his children limit his actions because they want to be different, but don't know how to really do it, only to rebel against him. This can be seen and very often used when Lucifer is described as the son of God how go against him. A kind of different perspective.
Well that's different. But Christians may argue with you there because God is all knowing, his knowledge is pure and clean and life.
I think a better perspective would be that He sees the good and the bad way and encourages us to live in the good way which is the way He lives.
And he already knows whether or not we will be living the good way? He knew this even before we were born? He still attempts to teach us his right way although he knows clearly that we'll eventually choose the wrong way? Interesting.

~ Scott Hughes
Melisa Jane

Post by Melisa Jane »

Dee_Robert wrote: 05 Jun 2020, 08:45
Jacktone Ogada wrote: 05 Jun 2020, 00:40 I would advice reading the book without religious prejudices whatsoever. Anyway, I have usually found the issue tricky. God is said to have given man free will to do whatsoever he pleases but is portrayed as having planned their lives and destinies before they were even born. So are we living what was already planned or what we choose? Do we even choose our lives if it was already planned? :eusa-think: :eusa-think:
How does one read a book based off the Bible without religious prejudices?
That's almost unreal
I think it's possible. All you need to do is to assume that the story is purely fictional. By so doing, you cease to verify the story by referring to the preexisting biblical facts.

~ Scott Hughes
Ana-Maria-Diana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-maria-diana.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Ana-Maria-Diana »

JM Reviews wrote: 05 Jun 2020, 09:44
Ana-Maria-Diana wrote: 05 Jun 2020, 03:19 I think that resembles a lot what I have read recently and it is because parents teach us to be the way they are because they don't know other way even if they would want us to be different. So God limites his children action because He knows no other way to teach them and his children limit his actions because they want to be different, but don't know how to really do it, only to rebel against him. This can be seen and very often used when Lucifer is described as the son of God how go against him. A kind of different perspective.
I think saying that God knows no other way to lead his children, when we all know that he is all knowing, is contradictory. I don't know what exactly you meant by that sentence. Do you mind elaborating?
Yes, he is all knowing and exactly this creates boundaries because He has high expectation from his children but without telling them the information he already knows. With this he creates boundaries for them and they in return do not obey him anymore.
wendilou49
Favorite Book: Code Name Lily
Currently Reading: So Into Her
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendilou49.html
Latest Review: Blossom ~ The Wild Ambassador of Tewksbury by Anna Carner
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by wendilou49 »

I believe God the father is limited by our actions because He gives us free will. He has a perfect path for us to follow, but He does not force us to do that. In the same way, His plan can be detoured by our actions or lack thereof.
MeganDJ
Currently Reading: Mirrored Worlds
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megandj.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by MeganDJ »

I think this statement is trying to say that God can only help those that are actively seeking his wisdom and guidance. There was a statement in the novel that said that God held no dominion to those who did not believe in him, and with that, God does not see the need to help those that do not believe in him. Like any relationship, it is a two-way street that needs both parties present for it to work and it is the same in this case.
SophiaNd
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophiand.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior by Antoine Bonner

Post by SophiaNd »

God is everywhere and all powerful and he has also given us the gift of free will. There cannot be any form of limitations
Laurina Michael Olowoniran
Currently Reading: Be the Change: The Future is in Your Hands
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurina-olowo.html
Latest Review: Mister Pushkin Sees The Light by AC Michael

Post by Laurina Michael Olowoniran »

The truth is that God cannot force any man. He has given us freewill and we do have a choice as what to do with it. He can step in but on very rare occasion r when he is invited in
Bhuvana Subramanyam
Favorite Book: Lady Smoke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhuvana-subramanyam.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Post by Bhuvana Subramanyam »

JM Reviews wrote: 05 Jun 2020, 09:15
Bhuvana Subramanyam wrote: 02 Jun 2020, 11:39 In my place, there is a saying that nothing happens without gods approval. So, maybe god's sons do what he planned for them to do, without even realising it!
I think that's debatable. I don't understand how God can approve of sinful acts. I think he just give freewill to people to do whatever they like.
Maybe! Then we should stop blaming the devil for all the sinful acts we do! Sometimes the things we do, can turn around our lives and can put us in the right path. :techie-studyingbrown:
Edwin Amah
Currently Reading: Mug the Wumph the Dancing Wizard
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edwin-amah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by Edwin Amah »

The statement sounds rather weird. God has given his children the right to make their choice so that statement is not applicable.
wendilou49
Favorite Book: Code Name Lily
Currently Reading: So Into Her
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendilou49.html
Latest Review: Blossom ~ The Wild Ambassador of Tewksbury by Anna Carner
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by wendilou49 »

These comments are very interesting and varied. I believe God is limited only by what His children chose to do. He wanted perfect communion with Adam and Eve, but they chose to not follow His ways and His perfect will was not reached. We can detour His will, limiting what is Perfect and from Him. But he will always make the way perfect when we return to Him.
Ari Martinez
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Victoria's Choice
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ari-martinez.html
Latest Review: Finding A Way Forward by Karen Games

Post by Ari Martinez »

I definitely don't think God is limited, but I can see where the author is coming from. The problem with this book is that it mixes fiction with theology and it can be very confusing to a reader that doesn't have a clear grasp on religious subjects.
adeff1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adeff1.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Post by adeff1 »

If that context is taken as theological in nature, it'd certainly be odd, but I feel that's more of a creative liberty than anything else.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

It doesn't sound right for me.
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.

Return to “Discuss "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman”