God the Father

Use this forum to discuss the June 2020 Book of the month, "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman.
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis

Re: God the Father

Post by Harty Muli »

I think the phrase is a direct reference to the gift of free will that all God's children have. So God is limited by what we his children do. For example if we decide to reject him, then he'll play limited or no role in our life as we can then live like he doesn't exist.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

The author has taken down the God from his almighty godliness to the level of a loving father, and inevitably it comes with limitations as well
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
aruntr2001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aruntr2001.html
Latest Review: Theatre of Racial Conflict by Bunmi Popoola

Post by aruntr2001 »

I found a corollary in this statement as I infer that God has given man a free will to make their own choices.
Pendrick reckon
Favorite Book: Pekari
Currently Reading: Heartaches 2
Bookshelf Size: 48

Post by Pendrick reckon »

Fantastic story. Where I come from most people said anything you do, Amy words you say, I was written by God so you just follow but I didn't believe because am not sure about that.
Topsey
Currently Reading: Something Wicked This Way Comes
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topsey.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Topsey »

Dee_Robert wrote: 02 Jun 2020, 05:54
AmyMarie2171 wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 16:37 It sounds like very uncommon theology. Much of the foundation of Christianity rests on the building block of God being an omnipotent, omniscient Creator. The interpretation that I would glean from this statement that still fits widely accepted Christian theology would be that God is limited only in the knowledge that he has given His children free will. He CAN step in, but He doesn't always because people are free to make their own choices. It is a controversial statement to connect to a book that hinges on religion.
This is very true, and this statement is very controversial.
The statement is very sweeping and dangerous but your explanation does it justice.
Yes, I agree with both of you here. The statement is definitely dangerous especially for those trying to learn more about God. I think we must consider what the author means by 'limited' as well.
TADSAILS
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tadsails.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by TADSAILS »

Katie Canedy wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 17:27 The idea makes sense if one has an understanding of the Bible and how God treats His children. God provides unconditional love to us, which is why I say this.
So true. Although he gave us freewill he still forgives our transgressions. That is to show you how much of a creator he is to still love us. Only if we come back to beg forgiveness and all would be made clean.
Munachimso_Nwaogazie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-munachimso-nwaogazie.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Munachimso_Nwaogazie »

I don't think God's children can limit God's action but I think it can go the other way round because as children of God, there are things we are commanded not to do.
Imperio
Currently Reading: A Man Called Ove
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imperio.html
Latest Review: A Talk with God, published book, Amazon by Lisa Mullins

Post by Imperio »

I think the description of God as a "Father limited by His children's actions" is a hard thing to grasp. Isn't God supposed to be an almighty being- infallible and undeterred by consequence, not to mention human consequences? How, then, is He limited by our choices? So I don't see "God the Father is limited by His children's actions" to be true but I do recognize that "His Children are limited are limited by His actions..." to be true; and the latter is certainly seen through the events of the book.
A Y reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-y-reviews.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by A Y reviews »

I think God used this case to show us that every one's action in a relationship, irrespective of your role, counts a great deal
rwalkup
Currently Reading: The Copper Gauntlet
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rwalkup.html
Latest Review: E&N Escape by P.N.Holland

Post by rwalkup »

This book is written clearly as fiction I think and isn't necessarily expounding on what actual Christian theology is. God is not limited by His children, but He doesn't limit their every action. In turn, mankind does have certain bounds that have been set for them by God.
Wy_Bertram
Favorite Book: 1984
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wy-bertram.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Post by Wy_Bertram »

That could mean that mankind, with all it's freewill, still lives by whatever liberties God chooses to allow, but for the bit about God being limited by man....

I think a part of the Bible said something about God regretting creating man, but really, I think this is just one of those lines that's complex for complexity sake.

It gets you to think, but you end up thinking about nothing.
Ashley-Osuna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-osuna.html
Latest Review: The Pilgrim Bride by Pilar Cerón Durán

Post by Ashley-Osuna »

Bhuvana Subramanyam wrote: 02 Jun 2020, 11:39 In my place, there is a saying that nothing happens without gods approval. So, maybe god's sons do what he planned for them to do, without even realising it!
I think you are right! We may not realize it but all of our actions could be based on God's will.
WardahEbrahim
Currently Reading: Little Women
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wardahebrahim.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by WardahEbrahim »

As I mentioned in my review of this book, It's a very odd concept for me. I am muslim, and I chose to read this book to gain insight on the Christian perspective of this story.

I percieve my God as my Creator. So He is entirely independent of my actions. He is not limited or sustained by actions - He is great. As valuable as the fatherly identity is, it is, in a way, belittling to attach it to God. I don't know how to describe my thought.

However, I often hear Christian's refer to their God as father, and I thought reading this book would help me understand that.

But as I'm writing this, I'm realizing that I do not relate and believe in that concept. Very interesting.
joenduga12
Currently Reading: How To Be Successful
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joenduga12.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by joenduga12 »

God doesn't have limit. Although he is humble, he can't be limited by anyone or anything. His relationship with humans is that of a loving father with his cherished children.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

wendilou49 wrote: 06 Jun 2020, 10:14 I believe God the father is limited by our actions because He gives us free will. He has a perfect path for us to follow, but He does not force us to do that. In the same way, His plan can be detoured by our actions or lack thereof.
However, God's plans and purpose always stand. Even if we fail God he will still complete what he he started with someone who is available.

Return to “Discuss "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman”