Did Nephilim Really Help Noah with Building the Ark before the Flood?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2020 Book of the month, "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman.
timd
Favorite Book: The Rim of Space
Currently Reading: Making Monsters
Bookshelf Size: 440
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timd.html
Latest Review: Mobius by Garon Whited

Re: Did Nephilim Really Help Noah with Building the Ark before the Flood?

Post by timd »

Commenting in general that books like these may contradict what is referred to as God's plan, raises interesting arguments about free will and whether everything in store for us is predetermined and that what we perceive as free will, is in fact an illusion. It is interesting to learn that modern studies appear to support this view and that our consciousness is in fact an illusion and yhat we think that we are making choices when in fact, our brain has already made the choice for us and we follow it blindly.
Latest Review: Mobius by Garon Whited
Ms_Rita30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ms-rita30.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Ms_Rita30 »

I believe it's just the author's opinion. I haven't encountered any passage that spoke of Nephilims helping Noah to build the ark in the Bible.

But it did make sense that they helped in the story. Except the part where they were left behind was really sad.
Kola+wole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kola-wole.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Kola+wole »

The Bible never mentioned Noah receiving any help from Nephilim. I think it is the author's imagination at work concerning the Nephilim.
Wesley Friday
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesley-friday.html
Latest Review: Bar Maid by Daniel Roberts

Post by Wesley Friday »

Son of the Nephilim were the ones God sought to destroy with the coming flood. Yes, the author tries to fill gaps with his imagination but this sometimes leads to loose ends. For instance, "Why would the Nephilim refuse to board the Ark when they had believed in Noah's motive for building it?" On the other hand, cranes and huge equipment weren't made mention of in the actual Biblical story or utilized by the author in his imagination. Considering the size of the Ark, it is easy to say that putting something of that sort together would be quite a huge task for a man of regular stature like Noah and thus the employment of the Nephilim. Just as unbelievable as the idea of employing the Nephilim may seem, it would also make sense if observed from other angles.
Inkroverts
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkroverts.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Inkroverts »

I don't think it's written in the Bible, but I think it's a cool interpretation. It makes sense that Noah got help from giants to build something so extraodinary.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Anatomy of Revenge by Fred Grace

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

I have never read nor heard of the assistance offered by Nephilim to Noah when he was buidling the ark. I would appreciate being directed to that scripture.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Nicholas Christian
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicholas-christian.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Nicholas Christian »

book_fanatic_ wrote: 02 Jun 2020, 03:12 The author just tried to fill gaps that were left in the biblical stories. This one is one of the fillers that the author uses through his perception and imagination.
I agree... Actually, I have read the entire Bible several times and there is no Bibilical evidence even remotely giving such a suggestion.
ews2406+9497
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ews2406-9497.html
Latest Review: Effective Thinking by William Taddit
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by ews2406+9497 »

I have always wondered who helped Noah build the ark that large, i feel the author just wanted to share his imagination on how he thinks and feels Noah built the ark.
D3R3ZZ3D
Currently Reading: Star Wars
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-d3r3zz3d.html
Latest Review: Blessed in the Midst of the Storm by Monique Lynelle

Post by D3R3ZZ3D »

The author was using creative license for the sake of the story he wanted to tell.
Numbers 6:24-26
Zechariah 4:6
Saint Bruno
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

While there is no record of such in the bible, I believe that this book is a work of fiction. In fact, I found the inclusion to be intriguing and fascinating!
Maconstewart
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading: Black Beach
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maconstewart.html

Post by Maconstewart »

I don't recall it being mentioned in the Bible, but it does make sense. Just the size and scope of building the Ark makes it likely that Noah dud need help.

I don't recall Nephilim being mentioned in the Bible. Can someone give me a chapter and verses where they are in the original text?
Lisa

My greatest accomplishment is that I raised two daughters that love to read.
:techie-reference: :techie-reference:
Maconstewart
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading: Black Beach
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maconstewart.html

Post by Maconstewart »

Dee_Robert wrote: 02 Jun 2020, 05:40
book_fanatic_ wrote: 02 Jun 2020, 03:12 The author just tried to fill gaps that were left in the biblical stories. This one is one of the fillers that the author uses through his perception and imagination.
Yes, but most Christians may be offended by this perception or imagination
I am a Christian and take no offense to this. The author is very clear that the book is filled with his imaginated fillers, to expand the stories. As a Christian, I found the book illuminating and thought provoking.
Lisa

My greatest accomplishment is that I raised two daughters that love to read.
:techie-reference: :techie-reference:
Njericate19
Currently Reading: Her surrender
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Njericate19 »

I could be wrong but Nephilim didn't help Noah in building the ark. As i know his family helped in building it which was meant to save the animals and his family.
cheb
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by cheb »

The reference to 'Nephilim' comes in Genesis 6 v 4. In the King James Bible, still the most accurate of all the English translations, the word is translated 'giants'.

Before the Flood, in about 2,345 BC, the environment was very conducive to strong growth. The fossils bear witness to this. Nearly all fossils are the result of the Flood. Fossilisation arises from instant or near-instant burial. Any palaeontologist will tell you that creatures - otherwise identical to today's - are found in the fossil record in much larger sizes, across all species. So it was probably the same with pre-Flood humans. Many were probably very tall.

There is no record otherwise of the Nephilim/giants 'helping' Noah and his family to build the Ark, which was brick-shaped and approximately 450 ft x 75 ft x 45 ft in its dimensions - a design which assured stability. It came to rest on the Ararat mountain range in modern south-east Turkey. Jesus Christ spoke often of the Flood and clearly verified that it was an actual event
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Anatomy of Revenge by Fred Grace

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

I have read and heard the story of Noah and his ark but never have I ever heard nor read about Nephillim's contribution towards building the ark. I therefore do not think it is true.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM

Return to “Discuss "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman”