Inconsistencies

Use this forum to discuss the June 2020 Book of the month, "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman.
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Inconsistencies

Post by Leen282 »

Did anyone else notice contradictions or inconsistencies in the book?

Two examples: Eve asks Adam how he will pay for their rebellion. A few pages later Adam talks about payment, and Eve asks what a payment is. Where she did use the word herself before.

Adam advised Abel to show better judgment when helping his brothers, especially Cain. A few paragraphs later, the author says that both Adam and Abel knew they were talking about Cain without naming him.
slj3988
Currently Reading: Lord of the rings
Bookshelf Size: 180
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slj3988.html
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

Post by slj3988 »

Perhaps the author meant to say Eve was asking what their payment would be? Or she didn't fully understand the concept of payment or consequence. We are talking about the first humans ever here. In a world before trade. What is payment? Think of them as innocent children who didn't know right from wrong yet.

Adam pointing out especially Cain needing better judgment lets Abel know he meant be more careful with Cain, so later they had that understanding he meant especially Cain.
Leen282

Post by Leen282 »

slj3988 wrote: 03 Jun 2020, 08:55 Perhaps the author meant to say Eve was asking what their payment would be? Or she didn't fully understand the concept of payment or consequence. We are talking about the first humans ever here. In a world before trade. What is payment? Think of them as innocent children who didn't know right from wrong yet.
If Eve doesn't know what payment is, how come she uses that very same word and concept a few pages before her question?

The instances are about Adam paying for his rebellion and Adam paying for his debt. So very much the same concept.
FaithMO19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmo19.html
Latest Review: Final Diagnosis by J. T. Madicus

Post by FaithMO19 »

You are right about these inconsistencies, better editing could have fixed them.
Snowflake
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowflake.html
Latest Review: Don't Think Twice by Barbara Schoichet

Post by Snowflake »

You have a very good eye to catch these inconsistencies. Hopefully future editing will take care of the issues.
peace starts with a smile...
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death 
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

Post by Laura Lee »

Wow! Good catch! I guess I missed that.
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
Timothy Rucinski
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Dead Bob
Currently Reading: The Captive
Bookshelf Size: 607
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-rucinski.html
Latest Review: The Socratic Contract by D C Russell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 81
2024 Goal Completion: 27%

Post by Timothy Rucinski »

The book is full of inconsistencies, and I'm only 2/3 through. In addition, the anachronisms are piled one on top of the other. And then of course there is the concept of jumping directly from the Stone Age to the Iron Age, all during the time of Adam, including the forging of iron into steel. The time of Moses was within the Bronze Age, the Iron Age not coming until well after the time the Hebrews settled into the Promised Land. I know this isn't a history book, but a better command of time and place would have made this more palatable.
Leen282

Post by Leen282 »

Mstrtim wrote: 07 Jun 2020, 14:46 The book is full of inconsistencies, and I'm only 2/3 through. In addition, the anachronisms are piled one on top of the other. And then of course there is the concept of jumping directly from the Stone Age to the Iron Age, all during the time of Adam, including the forging of iron into steel. The time of Moses was within the Bronze Age, the Iron Age not coming until well after the time the Hebrews settled into the Promised Land. I know this isn't a history book, but a better command of time and place would have made this more palatable.
I agree, I also got annoyed by the inconsistencies and the mistakes unfortunately.
kljrox
Favorite Book: The Pentagon Years
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kljrox.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by kljrox »

I noticed the inconsistencies in several instances also. It seems the author had a little difficulty with dialogue between the first people on Earth and picked words randomly to emphasize their newness in life. For instance, Eve knew what swimming meant because when Adam asked if she had tried swimming yet, she said, "No, I haven't. Not yet. You will have to teach me." There was no form of reference for the word swim, but she understood it. However, he picked payment as a word to show that they were learning new words and I guess forgot that she had already said the word as if she understood it.
"I promised myself that I would take the time to notice simple beauty every day."
Richard L. Haight
Yere123
Currently Reading: Shantaram
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnwagu1.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Yere123 »

slj3988 wrote: 03 Jun 2020, 08:55 Perhaps the author meant to say Eve was asking what their payment would be? Or she didn't fully understand the concept of payment or consequence. We are talking about the first humans ever here. In a world before trade. What is payment? Think of them as innocent children who didn't know right from wrong yet.

Adam pointing out especially Cain needing better judgment lets Abel know he meant be more careful with Cain, so later they had that understanding he meant especially Cain.
I agree with your explanations for the inconsistencies but feel that the author could have taken up better word choice in order to prevent such confusion.
Coud
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-coud.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Coud »

Leen282 wrote: 03 Jun 2020, 08:59
If Eve doesn't know what payment is, how come she uses that very same word and concept a few pages before her question?

The instances are about Adam paying for his rebellion and Adam paying for his debt. So very much the same concept.
Definitely something the author should have checked better or the editor because it makes Eve a little inconsistent
Kenesha Latoya Fowler
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenesha-latoya-fowler.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible

Post by Kenesha Latoya Fowler »

kljrox wrote: 09 Jun 2020, 16:31 I noticed the inconsistencies in several instances also. It seems the author had a little difficulty with dialogue between the first people on Earth and picked words randomly to emphasize their newness in life. For instance, Eve knew what swimming meant because when Adam asked if she had tried swimming yet, she said, "No, I haven't. Not yet. You will have to teach me." There was no form of reference for the word swim, but she understood it. However, he picked payment as a word to show that they were learning new words and I guess forgot that she had already said the word as if she understood it.
I found the use of language entirely inconsistent with the setting of the novel. The dialogue was too modern. It's unbelievable that the people of that time would have a conversation along the lines of, "Cain, do you understand the concept of 'until death do we part'?"
"No one is ever satisfied where he is," said the switchman.
~from The Little Prince by Antoine De Saint-Exupéry~
Pretty giftee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pretty-giftee.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Pretty giftee »

Yes they were a quite a number of contradictions and inconsistencies in this book
ardalgarcia
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ardalgarcia.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by ardalgarcia »

There are also quite a few compared to what it actually says in the Bible. I know they're only supposed to be based on biblical stories, but it just seems a bit odd to actually change details and not just fill in the gaps.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

Eva is born before Cain and Abel and assists at their birth. Later on towards the end Abel is shown a vision of Eva and she is his younger sister.

Return to “Discuss "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman”