Inconsistencies

Use this forum to discuss the June 2020 Book of the month, "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman.
nanglada
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nanglada.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Re: Inconsistencies

Post by nanglada »

kljrox wrote: 09 Jun 2020, 16:31 I noticed the inconsistencies in several instances also. It seems the author had a little difficulty with dialogue between the first people on Earth and picked words randomly to emphasize their newness in life. For instance, Eve knew what swimming meant because when Adam asked if she had tried swimming yet, she said, "No, I haven't. Not yet. You will have to teach me." There was no form of reference for the word swim, but she understood it. However, he picked payment as a word to show that they were learning new words and I guess forgot that she had already said the word as if she understood it.
The author should have definitely checked all this inconsistencies, no matter how unimportant they may seem in order to make this book the best it could be.
InventorT
Currently Reading: One Way or Another
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inventort.html
Latest Review: Better Dead Than Divorced by Lukas Thanasis Konandreas, M.D.

Post by InventorT »

Yes I think the Author has some editing to do
WardahEbrahim
Currently Reading: Little Women
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wardahebrahim.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by WardahEbrahim »

Mstrtim wrote: 07 Jun 2020, 14:46 The book is full of inconsistencies, and I'm only 2/3 through. In addition, the anachronisms are piled one on top of the other. And then of course there is the concept of jumping directly from the Stone Age to the Iron Age, all during the time of Adam, including the forging of iron into steel. The time of Moses was within the Bronze Age, the Iron Age not coming until well after the time the Hebrews settled into the Promised Land. I know this isn't a history book, but a better command of time and place would have made this more palatable.
But it is a history book, in a way :eusa-think:
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

Eve is 7 days old at the beginning of the book. Even Adam remembers jow he met Eve his nap on the day of naming the ewe. However, Adam says that he was only 6 days old at the time he ate of the tree of knowledge. How could Eve be older than Adam?
Alexandros92
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandros92.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Alexandros92 »

Well it is not supposed to be realistic and I cannot see how it could be consistent anyway. It is supposed to describe situations that are out of this world.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I agree about the inconsistencies in this book. I noticed several that others mentioned, and I was also not a fan of the excessively long chapters.
iknwuzoh
Currently Reading: We Are Voulhire: Fires of Virko
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iknwuzoh.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by iknwuzoh »

Mstrtim wrote: 07 Jun 2020, 14:46 The book is full of inconsistencies, and I'm only 2/3 through. In addition, the anachronisms are piled one on top of the other. And then of course there is the concept of jumping directly from the Stone Age to the Iron Age, all during the time of Adam, including the forging of iron into steel. The time of Moses was within the Bronze Age, the Iron Age not coming until well after the time the Hebrews settled into the Promised Land. I know this isn't a history book, but a better command of time and place would have made this more palatable.
The author needs to adjust these inconsistencies and make the book more comprehensive to read. I agree with you.
Laura Mich
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-mich.html
Latest Review: A Woman's Rise To Courage by Birgit T Klare

Post by Laura Mich »

There are a few inconsistencies in the book since it is a fictional. Some of the curses God imposes on His people come by surprise when they actually occur.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:

Post by Magnify3 »

nanglada wrote: 09 Jul 2020, 19:34
kljrox wrote: 09 Jun 2020, 16:31 I noticed the inconsistencies in several instances also. It seems the author had a little difficulty with dialogue between the first people on Earth and picked words randomly to emphasize their newness in life. For instance, Eve knew what swimming meant because when Adam asked if she had tried swimming yet, she said, "No, I haven't. Not yet. You will have to teach me." There was no form of reference for the word swim, but she understood it. However, he picked payment as a word to show that they were learning new words and I guess forgot that she had already said the word as if she understood it.
The author should have definitely checked all this inconsistencies, no matter how unimportant they may seem in order to make this book the best it could be.
So true. I agree with you totaly. The author should have checked all the inconsistencies no matter how unimportant.
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by KitabuKizuri »

It's a display of the struggle to understand how Adam and Eve first interacted. Did Adam have to teach Eve how to speak or did she wake him up from his slumber asking him questions...?
Magnify3
Currently Reading:

Post by Magnify3 »

Laura Mich wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 10:53 There are a few inconsistencies in the book since it is a fictional. Some of the curses God imposes on His people come by surprise when they actually occur.
A lot of fiction books that I have read are very consistent. It helps the story flow better.
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

Leen282 wrote: 03 Jun 2020, 03:05 Did anyone else notice contradictions or inconsistencies in the book?

Two examples: Eve asks Adam how he will pay for their rebellion. A few pages later Adam talks about payment, and Eve asks what a payment is. Where she did use the word herself before.

Adam advised Abel to show better judgment when helping his brothers, especially Cain. A few paragraphs later, the author says that both Adam and Abel knew they were talking about Cain without naming him.
Indeed!
Good catch. I guess a more thorough editing would have prevented these.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
Magnify3
Currently Reading:

Post by Magnify3 »

zainherb wrote: 19 Nov 2020, 12:21
Leen282 wrote: 03 Jun 2020, 03:05 Did anyone else notice contradictions or inconsistencies in the book?

Two examples: Eve asks Adam how he will pay for their rebellion. A few pages later Adam talks about payment, and Eve asks what a payment is. Where she did use the word herself before.

Adam advised Abel to show better judgment when helping his brothers, especially Cain. A few paragraphs later, the author says that both Adam and Abel knew they were talking about Cain without naming him.
Indeed!
Good catch. I guess a more thorough editing would have prevented these.
I totally agree with you. However, I wonder if the author meant to keep all those inconsistencies in the book. Just thinking!
Chinazo Anozie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

I didn't notice the first one, but I did notice the second.
Bennaji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bennaji.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by Bennaji »

Honestly, I didn't notice this while reading. I must commend your sharp mind. If there truly are inconsistencies, the author should do better next time.

Return to “Discuss "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman”