The First Murder

Use this forum to discuss the June 2020 Book of the month, "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman.
Ogbara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86

Re: The First Murder

Post by Ogbara »

Nerea wrote: 03 Jun 2020, 15:58
Kirsi_78 wrote: 03 Jun 2020, 09:49 That is a very good question. Unfortunately, we'll never know the answer.

And what comes to your second question, I suppose Eve and Adam were not born with original sin, but they used their freedom of choice and as a result, everyone who's come after them is born with original sin. But even with this original sin we still have the freedom to choose what we do and what we don't do... That's what I've reasoned about this difficult topic so far.
you are right about the first question, for the second question, It all come down to freedom of choice. Originally man was not built for sin, but along the line, it became part of us, but the redemption on the cross has taken that compulsion to sin away from us. So it is left for us to chose rightly and stay away from sin for good.
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

slj3988 wrote: 03 Jun 2020, 07:29 There is much debate amongst the religious community over the birth of murder as a sin. My question is if the devil hadn't tricked or persuaded mankind to commit such sins, would humanity have gone a different way?

It is argued by some that we are all born with original sin. We are all capable of such monstrosity. Given that we have free will, can we fairly blame evil on an entity outside ourselves?
Good questions.

I guess if we blame everything on the devil. Then who caused the devil to go astray in the first place?

There definitely is a part of ourselves that pushes us to go beyond bounds.
I don't believe in original sin, we each take responsibility for our actions.

Some are caused by the devil, yes, and some are from ourselves.

Free will, after all.
:techie-reference:
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html

Post by zainherb »

Nonny2208 wrote: 02 Sep 2020, 03:45 I believe there's a light and darkness in everyone, but we have the ability to control which part that manifests, so ultimately we are responsible for everything including murder.
Exactly!
:techie-reference:
GianKosi77
Favorite Author: M. Curtis McCoy
Currently Reading: Divided World
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-giankosi77.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 197138

Post by GianKosi77 »

If the first man and women remained to be obedient, we would be living in Eden even now.

Adam and Even were created in the Image of God. But after the fall, the people that they begat were in Adam's (sinful) image.
And a highway will be there; it will be called the Way of Holiness.
Gift5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gift5.html
Latest Review: Shield Down by William de Berg

Post by Gift5 »

I believe that the course of humanity would have been shaped differently if the Devil had not tricked mankind to commit sin.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

This is an interesting question. Freewill is what allows one to make their own choices. Even if someone is tricked to do something, I'd imagine there would have to be something innate inside the person to make them more or less likely fall for the trick. :?
Dramani Daniel
Favorite Book: Twisted But True
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dramani-daniel.html
Latest Review: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by Dramani Daniel »

What a crucial question for understanding the history and status of our race as a people. Some people wonder why God gave man such an endowment as free will if the consequences are downright deadly. I think it would have been better if no third party was involved in the issues of mankind. At times letting matters of two people concern only the both of them yields responsible results.
jimmy02
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimmy02.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by jimmy02 »

Human nature/psyche by default is chaotic. We can see this tendency in real life situations as well. In the documentaries about the Iraq Invasion, one can see how people resorted to looting and vandalism once the local police and military had been removed. The regulations of a modern civil society, and the fear and shame associated with it is what keeps those inherent maniacal urges at bay. The First Murder didn't give rise to the idea of a Sin, but instead was simply a manifestation of the inner chaos.
There is no friend as loyal as a book.
~ Ernst Hemingway

:techie-studyingbrown:
Chinazo Anozie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

slj3988 wrote: 03 Jun 2020, 07:29 There is much debate amongst the religious community over the birth of murder as a sin. My question is if the devil hadn't tricked or persuaded mankind to commit such sins, would humanity have gone a different way?

It is argued by some that we are all born with original sin. We are all capable of such monstrosity. Given that we have free will, can we fairly blame evil on an entity outside ourselves?
I think all man is inherently evil. Everyone has a bit of a dark side, it's our choices (free will) that makes the difference. This inherent evil (which God also noted in Genesis) originated as soon as Adam and Eve ate the fruit from the tree of knowledge therefore knowing good and evil.
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Janet Kimetto »

It's often said that magic is neither good nor bad, that it depends on the intention of the user, and I think it's the same thing with human beings. We all have the capacity to either do good or bad, but we also have free will and that means we are fully responsible for the choices we make.
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
Rachel Gillig, One Dark Window
Bennaji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bennaji.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by Bennaji »

The choice to do good or bad is primarily in our hands. The devil does his duty and it is in our hands to either resist or succumb to the temptation.
fire_spice
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fire-spice.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by fire_spice »

With knowledge comes free will and responsbility. It doesn't matter who tempted you, what matters is that finally you are the one who decided to sin. God was linient because our nature is weak. But that does not excuse us in anyway. Neither can we blame our decisions on Lucifer. What makes it more serious is that God gave man his power to lean on and so men like Abel were able to live a sinless life of faith. We are given despite our weakness the chance to choose the right path.
Prestige-best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prestige-best.html

Post by Prestige-best »

I think God gave man free will so the could have the feeling of good and bad.
Maris Charles M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maris-charles-m.html

Post by Maris Charles M »

It remains a fact that if Adam and Eve had not sinned humility would be different today. And I think we were also born with original sin. We just have a choice to make decisions either as our first parents or as those redeemed from sin by Christ.
Moneybag
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moneybag.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Moneybag »

Raju Chacko wrote: 03 Jun 2020, 22:38 We are all prone to commit sin but we don't necessarily have to. We live in a world where we have been made aware of the influence of both God and Satan on us. God, as someone who always wants our good, has exposed Satan to us and warned us of the consequences of following him (in other words, of disobeying God). It's up to us to choose. Known only too well today, Jesus is man's friend and Savior who saves us from Satan's traps and helps us in our battle against the deceiver. So it ultimately depends on us to refrain from or succumb to evil.
I agree to this
Thanks for the comment.

Return to “Discuss "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman”