The First Murder

Use this forum to discuss the June 2020 Book of the month, "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman.
Kemmy11
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemmy11.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Re: The First Murder

Post by Kemmy11 »

JM Reviews wrote: 08 Jun 2020, 05:09 We're naturally born sinful because if the misdeeds of Adam and Eve. No, we can't blame our current sins in the devil because God has given us freewill to choose between the good and the bad.
God specifically gave instructions to man and not the devil. He also gave us freedom of choice. The devil as we know only comes to steal, kill, and destroy. Hence, he talked man into disobeying these instructions, but it was left for man to chose and man disobeyed. So, the blame should be blamed on Adam and Eve and not the devil.
aacodreanu
Favorite Book: The Billionaires’ Handbook
Currently Reading: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?
Bookshelf Size: 450
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aacodreanu.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by aacodreanu »

slj3988 wrote: 03 Jun 2020, 07:29 There is much debate amongst the religious community over the birth of murder as a sin. My question is if the devil hadn't tricked or persuaded mankind to commit such sins, would humanity have gone a different way?

It is argued by some that we are all born with original sin. We are all capable of such monstrosity. Given that we have free will, can we fairly blame evil on an entity outside ourselves?
Free will means that we can willingly let evil enter our minds and direct us towards committing the murder or whatever crime we are able to do, as well as oppose any attempt by such. We have God's help in fighting the evil, as long as we are humble enough to ask for His help.
Mutai Marshal
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 518
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutai-marshal.html
Latest Review: Supercharge Your Production with 5 Time Management Hacks by Lucy Ledet

Post by Mutai Marshal »

I believe God had it all figured out right from the start. Human beings are just fulfilling His will
Alice Festo
Favorite Book: Deceitful Survival
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-festo.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Alice Festo »

I believe if the first sin never happened the story would definitely be different. We are born with sin but God gave as a free will to make the right choice.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Satan is known as the "tempter" and the "deceiver." I think that if Eve had resisted the temptation, the devil would have continued to stalk her until she eventually gave in. Can we blame Satan for our sins? We can truthfully say that he tempts and deceives us, but we are responsible for our actions. When Adam and Eve tried to blame the devil, God didn't accept their excuses. He told Adam, YOU ate from the tree that I told you not to eat from!
Mrunalpatki
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunalpatki.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Mrunalpatki »

To answer the question is again about each one's perspective. I think we should go by what most experts in this subject believe.
Think before you review. Read before you think. :techie-studyinggray:
Bison_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bison.html
Latest Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Post by Bison_ »

i believe without the death of Abel, humanity would have followed a different course
Nedbrian
Currently Reading: Into the Hand of a Woman
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nedbrian.html
Latest Review: Different Family Structures by Mildred Stallworth

Post by Nedbrian »

This historically was the first murder in the Bible viewing from a logical perspective. On the other hand, one can not really be affirmative if there were any such situations occurring before Abel was killed. So, it can just be surmised that the answer is not quite clear.
Rubbi
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rubbi.html
Latest Review: Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

Post by Rubbi »

kdstrack wrote: 13 Jun 2020, 17:04 Satan is known as the "tempter" and the "deceiver." I think that if Eve had resisted the temptation, the devil would have continued to stalk her until she eventually gave in. Can we blame Satan for our sins? We can truthfully say that he tempts and deceives us, but we are responsible for our actions. When Adam and Eve tried to blame the devil, God didn't accept their excuses. He told Adam, YOU ate from the tree that I told you not to eat from!
I agree with you that Satan will keep pushing us to sin but the final action and its consequence it's on us. One has to be responsible for the sins.
Jeff101
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeff101.html
Latest Review: E&N Escape by P.N.Holland

Post by Jeff101 »

I think that Adam and Eve were not born with the original sin, but because of their sin every now is born with original sin.
Becccccca+98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becccccca-98.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Becccccca+98 »

Yeah, this has confused me for some time. I mean, we're all born with original sin correct? but people also say that Jesus died for our sins and so that we would be reborn. So does that mean that his blood washed away our original sin? or am I getting it all mixed up?
Alexandros92
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandros92.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Alexandros92 »

Nerea wrote: 03 Jun 2020, 15:58
Kirsi_78 wrote: 03 Jun 2020, 09:49 That is a very good question. Unfortunately, we'll never know the answer.

And what comes to your second question, I suppose Eve and Adam were not born with original sin, but they used their freedom of choice and as a result, everyone who's come after them is born with original sin. But even with this original sin we still have the freedom to choose what we do and what we don't do... That's what I've reasoned about this difficult topic so far.
Perfectly explained. :tiphat:
This is truly perfectly explained. The idea of sin is really interesting, especially in Catholicism. In the Greek Orthodox Church, we focus more on forgiveness :) :D :D :D

:techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyingbrown:
Nicole_Boyd
Currently Reading: A Captive in Algiers
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-boyd.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Nicole_Boyd »

Kirsi_78 wrote: 03 Jun 2020, 09:49 That is a very good question. Unfortunately, we'll never know the answer.

And what comes to your second question, I suppose Eve and Adam were not born with original sin, but they used their freedom of choice and as a result, everyone who's come after them is born with original sin. But even with this original sin we still have the freedom to choose what we do and what we don't do... That's what I've reasoned about this difficult topic so far.
I agree. I think that even if Adam and Eve hadn’t sinned in the garden, someone would have eventually.
almeidabel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-almeidabel.html
Latest Review: The Juicy Fruit Man by LaMar Going

Post by almeidabel »

I guess the possibility of making a mistake is God way of saying to us that he believes in us and is up to us to do the right thing
moowshiri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moowshiri.html
Latest Review: The Kings Death by Ed Cannon

Post by moowshiri »

I think it all depends on the environment that surrounds us. Most of the evil acts that we do are, in most cases, directly influenced by the situations around us at that moment.

Return to “Discuss "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman”