Was sending Adam and Eve from the Garden of Eden a blessing or a curse?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2020 Book of the month, "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman.
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Was sending Adam and Eve from the Garden of Eden a blessing or a curse?

Post by Melisa Jane »

Just after Adam and Eve had eaten from the tree of knowledge, God drove them away from the Garden. The author of this book seems to justify every curse that God put on Adam. At some point, Adam seems grateful for the curses. What really captured my attention was the justification of the fact that God sent them away from Eden. Do you think the main purpose was to protect them from Lucifer? Do you believe that eating from the tree of life would have worsened the situation?
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
Yuffielyn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Yuffielyn »

JM Reviews wrote: 04 Jun 2020, 04:38 Just after Adam and Eve had eaten from the tree of knowledge, God drove them away from the Garden. The author of this book seems to justify every curse that God put on Adam. At some point, Adam seems grateful for the curses. What really captured my attention was the justification of the fact that God sent them away from Eden. Do you think the main purpose was to protect them from Lucifer? Do you believe that eating from the tree of life would have worsened the situation?
I think God sent them away to know how much they have fait to are God and protect them because God still forgiven people who have sins thats why he sent his only son Jesus to save us/forgive or sins.
Alice Ngugi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-ngugi.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Alice Ngugi »

I believe it was both a blessing and a curse. In the garden they could not enjoy the varying levels of emotions such as sadness and pain, at that they would not be able to fully appreciate the good times. The curse comes with separation from God and even facing death ultimately.
Alexandros92
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandros92.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Alexandros92 »

Sending them out of the Garden is neither. It is just the natural outcome of their choice. Since the fruit basically symbolizes the lack of trust toward nature and God and thus the awaking of the Ego and the need for knowledge, it is only natural that human beings found themselves to be isolated. It is not a curse and not a blessing.

If humans trusted God and let go of their Ego, the gates of Eden would reopen in the afterlife. It is a choice, nobody is punishing us.
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 672
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

JM Reviews wrote: 04 Jun 2020, 04:38 Just after Adam and Eve had eaten from the tree of knowledge, God drove them away from the Garden. The author of this book seems to justify every curse that God put on Adam. At some point, Adam seems grateful for the curses. What really captured my attention was the justification of the fact that God sent them away from Eden. Do you think the main purpose was to protect them from Lucifer? Do you believe that eating from the tree of life would have worsened the situation?
He wasn't protecting them from Lucifer because both Adam and Eve joined him to rebel against God. God drove them away so that they may not eat from the tree of life and become immortal souls.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Wyzdomania_Gskillz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyzdomania-gskillz.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Wyzdomania_Gskillz »

First of all, God didn't put any curse what so ever on man. He only cursed the ground because of man and then increased the pains of childbearing for the woman. He didn't even introduce the pains at that time, He only increased it.....meaning the woman was already meant to experience some pain during childbirth, but probably not much.

Secondly, sending the man and woman away from the garden was for their good and that of mankind to come. That was the singular act that ensured they could be redeemed again. Because if they had gone ahead to eat from the tree of life after the fall (which I suppose they were already eating from before the fall, seeing as the tree of knowledge of good and evil was the only forbidden one), they would have lived perpetually in that fallen state with no possibility of redemption....
Marion Jepkosgei
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marion-jepkosgei.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Marion Jepkosgei »

While sending Adam and Eve from the garden is a consequence of their disobedience, I would love to take Adam's thinking that despite that being a curse initially, it turned out to be a blessing. It shaped Adam and Eve on matters of parenthood that came to them later. I also like to believe God was protecting them against Satan and also giving the free will. He was giving them a chance to choose what tree to eat from: of life or of knowledge.

In my opinion therefore, it was blessing in disguise. Them being sent away paved way for redemption, something they needed more than ever after being sent from the garden.
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

I didn't read it as a curse. To me, it's a consequence of their actions. Since there's no comparison to what their life would have been had they been allowed to stay, it's hard to say if in the end it's more a curse or more a blessing.
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The White Coat Effect
Bookshelf Size: 1652
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Juris Ex Machina by John W. Maly
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

I don't believe that God would ever curse people. I saw this as more of a disciplinary action due to disobeying his rule. This is also a debatable issue that is best resolved by the Bible.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Sheetal_22564
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheetal-22564.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Sheetal_22564 »

I don't see it as a curse because I don't think they ever knew the prospects of humanity on earth. It was more of a blessing to be able to have the feel to live on the earth and to live their lives on their choices. Whether one sees the outcome as a good or a bad one, it all depends on the choices you make with your own ability. And for the case of Adam and Eve, they did live happily and satisfied apart from the usual stress of parenthood.
- Sheetal
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I don't believe Adam and Eve were sent away from the Garden of Eden to protect them from Satan, I believe they were sent away because of their sin. Satan is in the world so when they were sent out of the Garden they became even more vulnerable to him.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Rwill0988
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 499
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rwill0988.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by Rwill0988 »

Free will is a wonderful thing. Eating from the tree of knowledge was a blessing. While being exiled from the Garden was a punishment, I don't know if I'd go so far as to say curse. They now had to the understanding of when they felt joy and when they felt pain. Eden may be wonderful but without knowledge how can Adam, Eve or anyone really grasp the beauty, joy and bountifulness of it.
“Give me a man or woman who has read a thousand books and you give me an interesting companion. Give me a man or woman who has read perhaps three and you give me a very dangerous enemy indeed.” ~ The Witching Hour by Anne Rice
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
Jacktone Ogada
Currently Reading: A Cobbler's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacktone-ogada.html
Latest Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz

Post by Jacktone Ogada »

I don't think it was protection against Lucifer, since the serpent also had his own share of curses. Furthermore, the serpent and human beings were set to be enemies forever, and so there was no way of protecting them outside the garden. I think it is simply a punishment for defiance to God's commands.
:tiphat: Lead by reading :techie-studyinggray:
Edwin Amah
Currently Reading: Mug the Wumph the Dancing Wizard
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edwin-amah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by Edwin Amah »

Well, it was basically the consequences of disobedience. It was a way of letting them know that they have lost the trust and man has to rebuild back that trust and get back to the garden in the afterlife.
Ana-Maria-Diana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-maria-diana.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Ana-Maria-Diana »

I think that this was how the things were meant to be. God had and has plans for us all. If He didn't want for Adam and Eve to eat from the tree of knowledge, the tree wouldn't have been there. If they lived in the Garden of Eden maybe none of us would've been here today.

Return to “Discuss "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman”