Apple vs fig

Use this forum to discuss the June 2020 Book of the month, "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman.
Marvin85
Favorite Book: The Biblical Clock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marvin85.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Re: Apple vs fig

Post by Marvin85 »

Nobody knows what type of fruit it was. Apple, I think is just a general term loved by many maybe because of its taste. It might be that the author preferred the term fig because it has been mentioned in other biblical accounts, and also that the figs were a common fruit in ancient Israelite society.
baha Ibrahim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-baha-ibrahim.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by baha Ibrahim »

A fig does seem more historically accurate. I believe people have used an apple to replace the "fruit" term simply because it is the first thing people come to mind
:tiphat: Baha :tiphat:
Haywhyre7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haywhyre7.html
Latest Review: California: On the Edge of American History by Ronald Genini

Post by Haywhyre7 »

This has always been an interesting argument as I concur with the fact that an apple wasnt named in Eden. We would never know for sure as the Bible is one complete mystery
simplybyjenn
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simplybyjenn.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by simplybyjenn »

That is so true, I never thought of it as I have always been taught it was the apple as well. The fig is mentioned over the apple but it is not as common and not as appeasing to the eye. I wonder why the author chose to use something that is against the mainstream.
Astrolorraine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astrolorraine.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Astrolorraine »

As you point out, it doesn't say anywhere what fruit it was. That leaves us at liberty to imagine any fruit, apple or fig or any of the other thousands of fruit types. As for knowing for sure, I guess only a heavenly announcement would clarify that.
Kola+wole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kola-wole.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Kola+wole »

Like someone rightly said, we will never know. Whenever the story is being told, an apple is usually what is visualized (I wonder if I heard it somewhere or it just came naturally).
Nimisha_91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimisha-91.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Nimisha_91 »

I was always told it was an apple too.. Isnt that where "Adam's apple comes from"??
David_Kariuki
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-kariuki.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by David_Kariuki »

B Creech wrote: 07 Jun 2020, 11:30 It doesn't tell us anywhere in the Bible what fruit Adam and Eve are from the tree of knowledge in the Bible. I always have heard that it was an apple. I had never heard anyone say it was a fig or any other fruit. God told them (Adam and Eve) not to eat of the "fruit." To my knowledge, the apple is not mentioned anywhere in the Bible, however, the fig tree is. In Mark 11:12-25 Jesus curses the fig tree as a sign the Jewish people don't accept him as the Messiah.

Could the fruit Adam and Eve had eaten in the garden have been a fig as the author portrays? Or was it actually an apple? Or, will we ever know for sure?
If the Bible didn't mention the actual name of the fruit, then I guess God didn't find it necessary for us to know. Could it be that God made the tree extinct all-together? Could it also be that the 'tree'...the 'fruit' ....and even garden weren't meant to be taken literally, but instead symbolic?
Leecedar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leecedar.html
Latest Review: The Godfathers of Sex Abuse, Book I: Jeffrey Epstein by Deana Pollard Sacks

Post by Leecedar »

David_Kariuki wrote: 10 Aug 2020, 06:05
If the Bible didn't mention the actual name of the fruit, then I guess God didn't find it necessary for us to know. Could it be that God made the tree extinct all-together? Could it also be that the 'tree'...the 'fruit' ....and even garden weren't meant to be taken literally, but instead symbolic?
My pastor often compared the philosophy of taking the Bible as a cake recipe... if you only take it as suggestions, or think you can change ingredients at will, then you're not going to have a good cake. If you follow the recipe as written, you get a cake.

If you only follow the Word as suggestions, or metaphors, then you won't be correct. Take it literally. So, tree and fruit.
Eunice Geres
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eunice-geres.html
Latest Review: Reflections by Dan Babcock

Post by Eunice Geres »

I think it is a fruit that doesn't exist in our world. Maybe God kept it to himself so that no one will be tempted to use it again.
David_Kariuki
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-kariuki.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by David_Kariuki »

Leecedar wrote: 10 Aug 2020, 15:58
My pastor often compared the philosophy of taking the Bible as a cake recipe... if you only take it as suggestions, or think you can change ingredients at will, then you're not going to have a good cake. If you follow the recipe as written, you get a cake.

If you only follow the Word as suggestions, or metaphors, then you won't be correct. Take it literally. So, tree and fruit.
I think we have to look at it both ways...like when Jesus said that He would destroy the temple and rebuild it in 3 days...He didn't literally do that. It was symbolic....take also when The Bible says that the Son of man shall crush the head of the snake, we don't see Jesus literally doing that either. We can't just ignore the fact that the Bible is full of metaphors and symbolism.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

David_Kariuki wrote: 11 Aug 2020, 02:04
Leecedar wrote: 10 Aug 2020, 15:58

I think we have to look at it both ways...like when Jesus said that He would destroy the temple and rebuild it in 3 days...He didn't literally do that. It was symbolic....take also when The Bible says that the Son of man shall crush the head of the snake, we don't see Jesus literally doing that either. We can't just ignore the fact that the Bible is full of metaphors and symbolism.

I agree! That is why when we study the Bible we need to take our time and reflect to understand as much as God wants us to understand!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

I have never given it much thought as i grew up believing that the Bible mentioned an apple. For sure now that I know the Bible didn't mention an apple, i will never know the type of fruit it was.
Imstaci-1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imstaci-1.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Imstaci-1 »

A number of researchers have suggested that in Latin, malus means both apple and evil and this is where it might have started. However, in Genesis
1:27-29 God said to Adam and Eve that they could eat all fruit trees with seeds. As apples have seeds perhaps on a more literal note this is not the fruit. It took time before I understand that the "fruit" actually meant Eve slept with Lucifer- the shock!
Inkroverts
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkroverts.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Inkroverts »

You raised the question I've been thinking for a long time. In visual depictions, I always see apples. But in written words, they're sometimes figs and sometimes apple. It can possibly be neither. So we'll never know for sure.

Return to “Discuss "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman”