Apple vs fig

Use this forum to discuss the June 2020 Book of the month, "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman.
Angie Lola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angie-lola.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Re: Apple vs fig

Post by Angie Lola »

Never mentioned anywhere in the bible what type of fruit it was, human conclusions
Chinazo Anozie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

B Creech wrote: 07 Jun 2020, 11:30 It doesn't tell us anywhere in the Bible what fruit Adam and Eve are from the tree of knowledge in the Bible. I always have heard that it was an apple. I had never heard anyone say it was a fig or any other fruit. God told them (Adam and Eve) not to eat of the "fruit." To my knowledge, the apple is not mentioned anywhere in the Bible, however, the fig tree is. In Mark 11:12-25 Jesus curses the fig tree as a sign the Jewish people don't accept him as the Messiah.

Could the fruit Adam and Eve had eaten in the garden have been a fig as the author portrays? Or was it actually an apple? Or, will we ever know for sure?
Lol, I don't think we'll ever know for sure what fruit it is. I think we all at some point just like to fill in the blanks with our imagination, the same way the author did.
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Janet Kimetto »

I also wondered at that because I've only ever heard of it referred to as an apple. But I guess what really matters is that Adam disobeyed God, and that there were consequences.
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
Rachel Gillig, One Dark Window
Aeesha Bashir
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aeesha.html
Latest Review: The Bridge by Andrew Palmer
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Aeesha Bashir »

I was taught it was an apple so I was surprised to when the author referred to a fig tree, I guess we'll never know
Aeesha :techie-studyinggray:
Bennaji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bennaji.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by Bennaji »

The truth is that we would never know. The Bible does not specifically mention any fruit. We can only assume.
Marsha JJ
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: On the Precipice of the Labyrinth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marsha-jj.html
Latest Review: Tyler's Promised Gift by M. C. Abushar

Post by Marsha JJ »

I was curious about the apple vs. the fig myself, so I'm glad you posed this question. I always assumed that an apple was specified.
Zaynnie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zaynnie.html
Latest Review: The Weed Lady by Shea R Embry

Post by Zaynnie »

I've always believed the fruit Adam and Eve ate from the forbidden tree was an apple. Even after reading the book I assumed the author just decided to rename the fruit. But then, we'll never know for sure which one it really is
fire_spice
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fire-spice.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by fire_spice »

B Creech wrote: 07 Jun 2020, 11:30 It doesn't tell us anywhere in the Bible what fruit Adam and Eve are from the tree of knowledge in the Bible. I always have heard that it was an apple. I had never heard anyone say it was a fig or any other fruit. God told them (Adam and Eve) not to eat of the "fruit." To my knowledge, the apple is not mentioned anywhere in the Bible, however, the fig tree is. In Mark 11:12-25 Jesus curses the fig tree as a sign the Jewish people don't accept him as the Messiah.

Could the fruit Adam and Eve had eaten in the garden have been a fig as the author portrays? Or was it actually an apple? Or, will we ever know for sure?
I think we all just imagined it was an apple. The apple is juicy and we can totally see some one biting into it. Plus a fig tree I don't think just one fig would have been enough for Adam and Eve. Also in the Bible everything happened almost immediately after they took a bite, not after several bites. It must have been a fruit that was a lot like an apple.
Maris Charles M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maris-charles-m.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Maris Charles M »

My mind never crossed this subject. The bible said the fruit was pleasing to the eyes. Each time I read that part l Imagined some kind of succulent, juciy good looking fruit. It could be an apple, strawberry,... Just any nice looking fruit.
Drmol
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drmol.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Drmol »

Omg I always thought it was apple, even I never read it from the Bible. Many people think it is also apple but the fig one got me to actually do my research.
Drmol
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drmol.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Drmol »

Amesthenerd wrote: 07 Jun 2020, 16:41 I was always told it was an apple, except the time I was told that the actual real sin was that Eve slept with Satan and that’s where Cain came from. Otherwise it was always an apple. Maybe that’s why apples are so delicious?
Wait so you're saying that Cain is the product of satan and Eve, but the book says otherwise because they are not the first children. I know that they are some sleeping together but it did not think it was with satan.
Moneybag
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moneybag.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Moneybag »

I really don't what they ate but what ever it was it was very appetizing and pleasing to the eyes. Maybe that is why many people choose apples because it fits into the description.
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: Lost in Plan Sight by Karen Magee

Post by Laney K »

Julyet_Chris wrote: 07 Jun 2020, 16:41 I’ve never thought about this but it actually makes sense now one does, The particular fruit was not mentioned and honestly it doesn’t really matter to me.The apple was generally accepted just like most things we accept without questioning.
I agree that the fruit itself doesn't really matter. There is no way to know for sure what kind of fruit it was, but generally it seems that people tell it to be an apple.
Agbata precious
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-precious.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Agbata precious »

This was my first time hearing about fig. It has always been an apple.
Ohna Martin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ohna-martin.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Ohna Martin »

Interesting, I should find this discussion today. Just the other day this was a topic in one of my conversations with a friend and according to him, the forbidden fruit was sex. We all grew up with the idea it was an apple just think how shocked I was when he suggested this. Any thoughts on this?

Return to “Discuss "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman”