Apple vs fig

Use this forum to discuss the June 2020 Book of the month, "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Re: Apple vs fig

Post by Magnify3 »

The tree of knowledge, good and evil definitely had fruit known as knowledge, good and evil. Just like Apple trees have Apple's andfig trees gave figs.
MissJill
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by MissJill »

I actually think this is a very interesting subject because of what the two fruits represent. An apple, obviously, represents knowledge, but a fig tends to represent sexuality and sensuality, so both fruits would be a valid fruit to get in trouble with.
Ada Ling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-ling.html
Latest Review: Catapulting Commissions by Anthony Garcia

Post by Ada Ling »

Before reading this book, I always thought they ate the apple. So when I read "fig" in the book, I was a little puzzled. But this does not affect me reading this book. Fig is a more mysterious fruit than apple. So it might fit the long, long time ago story better!
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

Bible tells us that not to eat the fruit from that tree, I can be any fruit that we can imagine. It can be apple or it can be fig.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

moowshiri wrote: 21 Jun 2020, 15:52
B Creech wrote: 21 Jun 2020, 15:43
moowshiri wrote: 21 Jun 2020, 14:44 Keeping in mind Adam's apple theory, among many other arguments, I have also always thought the fruit was an apple. However, much controversy hangs around that question.
There does seem to be a lot of controversy about the type of fruit it was. One interesting thing I heard while growing up was that the adam's apple men have was named that because of the fruit Adam and Eve ate from the tree was an apple. Hence the name "Adam's Apple!" I'm sure someone made that up and it caught on so that others repeated it; much like the fruit is an apple! Interesting the things we hold onto from our earlier lives!
I can't agree more. Perhaps we'll get to know whatever fruit it was once we get to Heaven.
Perhaps we will. An interesting fact I read from the internet is that Michelangelo's painting on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel has Eve holding a fig! All other famous painters have shown her with an apple. I guess this debate has been around forever!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

sanjus wrote: 21 Jun 2020, 23:46 Bible tells us that not to eat the fruit from that tree, I can be any fruit that we can imagine. It can be apple or it can be fig.
Absolutely! I think it is one of those things God chose not to tell us. Maybe He will tell us in Heaven, but I don't think we will care when we get there!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Ada Ling wrote: 21 Jun 2020, 18:45 Before reading this book, I always thought they ate the apple. So when I read "fig" in the book, I was a little puzzled. But this does not affect me reading this book. Fig is a more mysterious fruit than apple. So it might fit the long, long time ago story better!
Yes, it might! I discovered the type of fruit they ate has been debated as far back as the fourth century! So we are not the only ones who thought it was an apple! :lol: :lol:
B. Creech
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

MissJill wrote: 21 Jun 2020, 16:46 I actually think this is a very interesting subject because of what the two fruits represent. An apple, obviously, represents knowledge, but a fig tends to represent sexuality and sensuality, so both fruits would be a valid fruit to get in trouble with.
That's interesting! I had never looked at it like that! Thanks for the input on that.
B. Creech
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Magnify3 wrote: 21 Jun 2020, 16:31 The tree of knowledge, good and evil definitely had fruit known as knowledge, good and evil. Just like Apple trees have Apple's andfig trees gave figs.
That's true! And we know there was a fig tree close by in the garden because Adam and Eve used fig leaves to cover themselves.
B. Creech
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

B Creech wrote: 07 Jun 2020, 18:15
Julyet_Chris wrote: 07 Jun 2020, 16:41 I’ve never thought about this but it actually makes sense now one does, The particular fruit was not mentioned and honestly it doesn’t really matter to me.The apple was generally accepted just like most things we accept without questioning.
I think the majority of people grew up saying it was an apple. You're right, it doesn't really matter. I just thought it would be a fun discussion seeing what others thought. Also, the Author using a fig, and Jesus Cursing the fig tree, kind of made my eyebrows raise in thought!
I grew up knowing it was an apple. Coincidentally, apples are my favorite.
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

sanjus wrote: 21 Jun 2020, 23:46 Bible tells us that not to eat the fruit from that tree, I can be any fruit that we can imagine. It can be apple or it can be fig.
Which one did you grow up believing it was: a fruit or a fig?
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
LiLj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilj.html
Latest Review: The Two Worlds in Which we Live Physical and Spiritual by Evelyn Rozier

Post by LiLj »

There is no way to know for sure, but my guess is that they eat an apple, because the fruit was supposed to be pleasing to look at, and figs aren’t the most pleasing sight.
Sally_Heart
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sally-heart.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sally_Heart »

I think the apple has been exaggerated as a forbidden fruit. I don't think the fruit is any fruit that earth has. I mean, if God had to forbid a fruit why would He then come back and give it in abundance?
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Sally_Heart wrote: 22 Jun 2020, 14:34 I think the apple has been exaggerated as a forbidden fruit. I don't think the fruit is any fruit that earth has. I mean, if God had to forbid a fruit why would He then come back and give it in abundance?
You know what? That makes perfect sense! Thanks for that! :tiphat:
B. Creech
TrudiNZ
Favorite Book: Stranger in a Strange Land
Currently Reading: The Illuminatus! Trilogy
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trudinz.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by TrudiNZ »

I grew up in the Catholic faith and I can't remember it ever being referred to as other than an apple, which makes it being referred to as a fig a bit strange to me when reading Killing Cain. But at the end of the day I think that is a small problem compared to the other bigger issues the book deals with.

Return to “Discuss "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman”