Doing the most?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2020 Book of the month, "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman.
Micah_1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micah-1.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Re: Doing the most?

Post by Micah_1 »

tieman55 wrote: 17 Jun 2020, 16:53
Adanna Inya wrote: 17 Jun 2020, 15:38 This book is a thoroughly enjoyable read if you ask me. If you're a Christian, then you're conversant with the biblical versions of the different stories recorded in the book. You can easily separate fact from fiction.

However, in this book, the Godhead who is regarded as the all knowing and omnipotent was said to be limited, get worried, second guess, and have doubts. Nephilim came in from nowhere to help Noah build the ark. And the human Adam was even contemplating on the best retribution for the murder of Abel.

Did the author do too much with this in the name of fiction? Do you think that the author blasphemed? Will this book lead non Christians who don't know better astray?
A great question that must be considered but, I think your question was lacking in one sense, You should have added this . . . "Will this book possibly lead Christians to rethink their theology? "

Is God offended by anything that was said or inferred by me in Killing Abel? I say no. (And I pray no, just in case)

Will non-Christian's somehow think less of God as they read Killing Abel? I say no and I can't find anything in Killing Abel that doesn't portray God as anything other than a loving Father.

Will both Christian and non-Christian's think about God and the obstacles He faced when He decided to be come a parent? And in doing so rethink their theology? I hope so.

I am guessing the biggest concern are the dialog's concerning the God Head where the three natures of God are discussing an issue. God the Father or Father time. God the Son, or the Life and God the Holy Spirit, which records the past for the Godhead, and informs the Others to His view of what may transpire in the future.

I believe that God, thinks, listens and learns from His creation. Now that will be blasphemy to many. But please consider the very first action that God took with Adam before you cast me aside as a heretic.

God has Adam name the Animals. Why would that be the very first thing God have had Adam to do? I propose that Adam naming the animals was not arbitrary, it was mandatory. God gave Adam free will and with that came eternal life and with that the ability to love, but God for now had withheld procreation from Adam as there was no women. But there were the animals.

Adam is naked, as he names the animals . . . and the bible tells us when a mate wasn't found God created Eve. We would not be here if Adam had become aroused when naming the animals.

I say the above without any desire to offend but many will be offended. But the Bible states the above, about as clear as it states anything. It is early in Geneses, and therefore it is foundational to Christianity yet no one knows it, so I risk saying it just so one person might hear it and think anew.

God did not know until He knew what Adam's reaction would be in naming the animals. . .

The bottom line comes down this one question. I hope if you chose to respond to this post you will answer this simple question. "If" God wanted to, does God have the ability to create Adam in a way that He would not for sure what Adam would do in naming the animals? Yes or No.

My answer is that God can do things to limit Himself, and becoming a Father did just that in a big big way!
This is absolutely right. Seems like you read my mind while writing this. I totally agree that God can do all things to limit Himself.
IbrahimOtegbade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ibrahimotegbade.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by IbrahimOtegbade »

I don't think the book is blasphemous; it is clearly a fiction and must be regarded as such. However, the author's many references to the Bible is needless.

There are many controversial ideas in the book, and readers that do not understand the Bible may get confused. Therefore, I would advise anyone reading it to not take it as a kind of theological work.
Obi Egbuniwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obi-egbuniwe.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Obi Egbuniwe »

I don't think the author "did too much". At the end of the day, this book is no definitive authority. It's someone's perspective on a subject matter, which many early Biblical texts were. I think he has stirred interesting conversations and ideas.
Obi Egbuniwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obi-egbuniwe.html

Post by Obi Egbuniwe »

I don't think the author "did too much". At the end of the day, this book is no definitive authority. It's someone's perspective on a subject matter, which many early Biblical texts were. I think he has stirred interesting conversations and ideas.
Philosopher2022
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-philosopher2022.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Philosopher2022 »

As a christian, i think the author went a bit too far when he talked about the nephillim helping Noah with the ark. One thing i loved so much about this book was how the author portrayed God to be a very loving father who cares so much about his creation. Some sections of this book will definely lead non-believers astray that why i strongly recommend this book to those who know the Bible.
Phooko Tebogo PC
Favorite Author: Walter E. Broach
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phooko-tebogo-pc.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe
fav_author_id: 202169

Post by Phooko Tebogo PC »

Mutai_ wrote: 18 Jun 2020, 11:47 I think the first step is for the reader appreciating that this is a fictional book based on the author's imagination. To non-believers, it may create conflicting thoughts especially if they are not well Cognizant about the Bible. This is because the Bible only provides the necessary information leaving out some other aspects that would have made it very bulk, which is unnecessary
Thank you for putting it this way, you have indeed captured my mind. The author of the book did a very great job to fill the gabs, those who read the bible before would see how he made it easier to understand God. Anyone who would think of God in anyway because of this book, it will not be because the writer possed God differently. It is exactly how God is portryed in the bible but with little detail presented
"Live to leave a mark, the footprints of the greatest" :obscene-drinkingcheers:
~Phooko tebogo
Moo Reny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moo-reny.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Moo Reny »

It's a "frictional account". That should be emphasised on in a way readers will see and understand that it's not the entire real thing.
Not available anymore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-covenant-morolayo-olusegun.html
Latest Review: Stones by James C. Hendee

Post by Not available anymore »

Non Christians must know that this is a FRICTIONAL ACCOUNT and I hope they choose to see it that way and read the Bible for clarity.
Maria Ferreira Silva
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-ferreira-silva.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Maria Ferreira Silva »

This book has a different approach to the stories that we've been told about the bible. i think its a unique perspective that makes the reader wonder what really happened.
Jay David Randall
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-david-randall.html
Latest Review: Scrooge's Folly - Saving Jacob Marley by David Jay Weinberg

Post by Jay David Randall »

No, I do not think the author would lead Christians and non-Christians astray, he didn't commit blasphemy the against any religion in the description of his novel.
"Keep your face always toward the sunshine, and shadows will fall behind you."Walt Whitman :tiphat:
Online Concept
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ezel-dornelles.html

Post by Online Concept »

Yes, I think the deviations were much. And I did mention this in my review. Non-christians might get the wrong ideas about the Bible, but I wouldn't say he blasphemed, considering his intent for writing this book in the first place, which I believe is to bring us to the knowledge of our origination. But I do think it is inappropriate.
Praiyz Pearlumie Olushegun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praiyz-pearlumie-olushegun.html
Latest Review: Because He Loved Us by Sharon Williams

Post by Praiyz Pearlumie Olushegun »

This is a very crucial question and people may tend to judge the author but I believe he could have done more to make people know it's just a fictional book not the real story.
Mellino Itz
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mellino-itz.html
Latest Review: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude by Anthony A. Morris

Post by Mellino Itz »

I think the author did so much with the fiction but I wouldn't say he blasphemed, that would depend on how most readers perceived the content of this book. But I feel the author had no intention to blaspheme. This book could lead some non-believers astray that is why I recommend that readers of this book should have very good understanding of the Bible.
Samantha Calderon 1
Favorite Book: Dying Well
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-calderon-1.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Samantha Calderon 1 »

I think that this author did too much in the name of Biblical interpretation. I did not like how the author mentioned that he referenced the Bible because those references were quite stretched in order to be connected, I even mentioned this in my review. I do not think this is considered blasphemy, but I think the author should not have stated that this book used Biblical references because this will confuse non Christians into believing this to be the Christian faith, which it is not.
Azuka Jessica
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azuka-jessica.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Azuka Jessica »

I think that the author clearly stated that it was a work of fiction, work of his imagination. Yes, it might mislead people who have never heard or read the Bible, but like I said, the author stated that it's fiction.

Return to “Discuss "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman”