Doing the most?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2020 Book of the month, "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Re: Doing the most?

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

The author has tried to show the God as a loving father. So he has included some fartherly qualities in God's character and they might be taken as weaknesses, considering His Godliness. But considering the author's intentions, this is not blasphemy
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
tieman55
Favorite Author: Michael Tieman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 167631

Post by tieman55 »

[/quote]

This is what I thought initially. But after reading one of the author's replies, I think he meant literal limitation. Not knowing what to do. He gave an example of God observing whether or not Adam would mate with the animals.
[/quote]

The Bible could not be any clearer on this point.

"When a mate was not found" God made the women. It was the very first thing that God had Adam do. And Adam named Eve just as he named the animals.

It really can't be argued. Adam names the animals to see if a mate was to be found.

I totally understand people that don't want to think about what is written. The don't want to consider the clear meaning of the words. I get it.

Difficult verses in the Bible are by far the most important ones to get right!

This verse is very important for many other reasons. Like, there is no way Adam had time to name thousands of animals, but he had plenty of time to name, a doe, a sow, a cow . . . all females .. with the ewe being last and ten Eve V is the shape of a women and v v or the double v being the shape of the ewe.

Good fiction makes sense and this makes sense and follows the Bible exactly.
Pendrick reckon
Favorite Book: Pekari
Currently Reading: Heartaches 2
Bookshelf Size: 48

Post by Pendrick reckon »

Well, I think this book is right for me and I have so much interest in knowing more about the Good stories because it is too hard to find such kind of book. congrats on BOTD.
angela roura
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angela-roura.html
Latest Review: The Tempter's Bane by Kyle McCurry

Post by angela roura »

This book is a work of fiction. Therefore, the author can choose to do with the words as they wish. Any inconsistencies with the bible can just be traced back to the fact that this book is fiction.
InventorT
Currently Reading: One Way or Another
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inventort.html
Latest Review: Better Dead Than Divorced by Lukas Thanasis Konandreas, M.D.

Post by InventorT »

Whatever the author’s goals were while writing the book, a good Christian would remain a good Christian. To answer your questions, I don’t know. I’m not God
tieman55
Favorite Author: Michael Tieman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 167631

Post by tieman55 »

Duncann679 wrote: 28 Jun 2020, 06:02 Christians should read this book with the Bible at hand to avoid confusion. This book is fictional to a large extent.
Christians should read everything with the Bible in hand to avoid confusion, as everything today is to a large extent fictional.
mariya1214
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariya1214.html
Latest Review: Last Words from Above by Jeremy Brown

Post by mariya1214 »

I think for readers we need to appreciate the level of imagination and thought which was put into the book by the author despite one's personal belief.
Cyrus Michino
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyrus-michino.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Cyrus Michino »

When God created Adam and Eve, He gave them control over all other things. When they ate the fruit from the tree of knowledge, God kicked them out before they even built a decent family together. This, however, happened after God had given them dominion over all other things. To create a decent life for themselves, they had to toil the land and grow crops. This has been the case till to-date where we have to go out there and make a living in spite of Corona virus, fatal maladies, accidents, and that, is doing the most.
Ediomis_Enwongo01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ediomis-enwongo01.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Ediomis_Enwongo01 »

The author blasphemy and at the same time heretic. This work can be very misleading to both Christians and non-Christians alike.
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Post by Adanna Inya »

LiLj wrote: 22 Jun 2020, 13:00 I think that the other did a bit much, there was just a lot of parts of the book where it didn’t even look close to the Bible stories that they were supposed to be of.
Exactly.
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:

Post by Adanna Inya »

JM Reviews wrote: 27 Jun 2020, 06:53
tieman55 wrote: 17 Jun 2020, 19:18 Yes, the question is missing a word, the word "know"

"If" God wanted to, does God have the ability to create Adam in a way that He would not know for sure what Adam would do in naming the animals? Yes or No.
I think I'm missing something. How do you know that God didn't know what Adam would do while naming the animals? How did you associate mating with naming of animals? I don't get it.
Can't wrap my head around that either.
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:

Post by Adanna Inya »

JM Reviews wrote: 28 Jun 2020, 00:48
Topsey wrote: 27 Jun 2020, 14:52 I think that this is clearly a work of fiction. The author is in no way trying to claim that these retellings are facts therefore I don’t think it’s blasphemy. If anything this is positive work, almost evangelical, because it causes the readers to question what’s true and maybe lead them to research on their own. Since this book may even make people consider God as a reality, I believe it is in fact serving God as a work of fiction.
I agree with you. The author has made it clear that this is purely a work of fiction. I, therefore, don't think there's any blasphemy here. However, reading the author's replies in this forum gives me an impression that he reads the Bible out of context.
I wanted to agree with the author too, until his replies. His replies reinforced my thoughts.
Frannie Annie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frannie-annie.html
Latest Review: Emergence by Shira Shiloah

Post by Frannie Annie »

I didn't think it was accurate to say that God was sorry he made man. He knew the risks and went ahead anyway, and it's one thing to feel heartbroken over humanity's path and another to say I'm sorry I made them. That's like a parent saying I'm sorry I had this child when they turn out to be a criminal. I think this is a weak way of thinking since everyone knows humans have free will and there's never a guarantee how they'll turn out. An omniscient God is going to have a stronger character than a human will and it's one we can never fully understand.
simplybyjenn
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simplybyjenn.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by simplybyjenn »

I greatly enjoyed the book but I am not a very religious person and see this as a book of fiction. I think those who are more religious might see as too much and might dislike it because of that. I think if you realize the genre and understand where this interpretation is coming from than you can read it with enjoyment.
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

I personally found Adam's uncertainty towards the death of Abel justified and an honest portrayal of the transcendent nature of God. He clearly depicted how God's perspective differs with human perspective no matter the situation.

Return to “Discuss "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman”