Doing the most?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2020 Book of the month, "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman.
iknwuzoh
Currently Reading: We Are Voulhire: Fires of Virko
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iknwuzoh.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Re: Doing the most?

Post by iknwuzoh »

This is blasphemy. Book that portray God as less than He is are books of blasphemy. They tend to lead people astray. Religious books are meant to say the truth about God and not otherwise.
Laura Mich
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-mich.html
Latest Review: A Woman's Rise To Courage by Birgit T Klare

Post by Laura Mich »

This book will be well understood by people who are conversant with Biblical doctrines. Non religious people are likely to be led astray so yes, I think that this novel is confined within religious people.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

David_Kariuki wrote: 10 Aug 2020, 10:41
tieman55 wrote: 17 Jun 2020, 16:53
Adanna Inya wrote: 17 Jun 2020, 15:38 This book is a thoroughly enjoyable read if you ask me. If you're a Christian, then you're conversant with the biblical versions of the different stories recorded in the book. You can easily separate fact from fiction.

However, in this book, the Godhead who is regarded as the all knowing and omnipotent was said to be limited, get worried, second guess, and have doubts. Nephilim came in from nowhere to help Noah build the ark. And the human Adam was even contemplating on the best retribution for the murder of Abel.

Did the author do too much with this in the name of fiction? Do you think that the author blasphemed? Will this book lead non Christians who don't know better astray?
A great question that must be considered but, I think your question was lacking in one sense, You should have added this . . . "Will this book possibly lead Christians to rethink their theology? "

Is God offended by anything that was said or inferred by me in Killing Abel? I say no. (And I pray no, just in case)

Will non-Christian's somehow think less of God as they read Killing Abel? I say no and I can't find anything in Killing Abel that doesn't portray God as anything other than a loving Father.

Will both Christian and non-Christian's think about God and the obstacles He faced when He decided to be come a parent? And in doing so rethink their theology? I hope so.

I am guessing the biggest concern are the dialog's concerning the God Head where the three natures of God are discussing an issue. God the Father or Father time. God the Son, or the Life and God the Holy Spirit, which records the past for the Godhead, and informs the Others to His view of what may transpire in the future.

I believe that God, thinks, listens and learns from His creation. Now that will be blasphemy to many. But please consider the very first action that God took with Adam before you cast me aside as a heretic.

God has Adam name the Animals. Why would that be the very first thing God have had Adam to do? I propose that Adam naming the animals was not arbitrary, it was mandatory. God gave Adam free will and with that came eternal life and with that the ability to love, but God for now had withheld procreation from Adam as there was no women. But there were the animals.

Adam is naked, as he names the animals . . . and the bible tells us when a mate wasn't found God created Eve. We would not be here if Adam had become aroused when naming the animals.

I say the above without any desire to offend but many will be offended. But the Bible states the above, about as clear as it states anything. It is early in Geneses, and therefore it is foundational to Christianity yet no one knows it, so I risk saying it just so one person might hear it and think anew.

God did not know until He knew what Adam's reaction would be in naming the animals. . .

The bottom line comes down this one question. I hope if you chose to respond to this post you will answer this simple question. "If" God wanted to, does God have the ability to create Adam in a way that He would not for sure what Adam would do in naming the animals? Yes or No.

My answer is that God can do things to limit Himself, and becoming a Father did just that in a big big way!
On naming animals: '' Before the woman came, God gave the man one last responsibility:
Now the LORD God had formed out of the ground all the beasts of the field and all the birds of the air. He brought them to the man to see what he would name them; and whatever the man called each living creature, that was its name. So the man gave names to all the livestock, the birds of the air and all the beasts of the field. (Gen. 2:19–20)
Did you know that the Hebrew concept of naming things actually means to possess them? This idea is very important in the Bible. Why did God tell the male to name the animals? Why didn‘t God name them Himself ? It is because whatever you name, you own. Whatever you name, you control. Very interesting. That‘s why God named the male. Can I take you one step further? This is why God did not name the woman. Now, men, that‘s a lot of weight on our shoulders. God chose not to name the female. He wanted the man to be totally responsible for her. Real men are very careful about naming things, because they know the truth of this principle: what you name, you
claim; and what you claim, you have the responsibility for.'' Understanding Purpose and Power of Men by Dr. Myles Munroe.
Myles Munroe was a great teacher. I like this. It is so profound. Now I think that I should look for his book.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

Fae Liesl Enchantee wrote: 10 Aug 2020, 22:58 I think readers should first understand that this is a work of fiction based on the Bible. If someone decided to pick it up and read it, he or she should never use this as a guide to the Christian ways and just enjoy it for the entertainment it serves.
Exactly....It should never be used as a guide. It is a work of fiction although based on the Bible has a lot of additions that are not in the Bible.
Drado_27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drado-27.html
Latest Review: Manasakd by Kelly May Andrews

Post by Drado_27 »

The book might be confusing for the readers that are not knowledgeable about Christianity. I don't know if I would recommend this book to non-Christians as it may give them wrong impressions about the religion. However, through the lenses of the fiction, it is acceptable.
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

I think since the author already called the book fictional, then any thoughts about blasphemy, become moot.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
tieman55
Favorite Author: Michael Tieman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 167631

Post by tieman55 »

David_Kariuki wrote: 10 Aug 2020, 10:41
tieman55 wrote: 17 Jun 2020, 16:53
Adanna Inya wrote: 17 Jun 2020, 15:38
God has Adam name the Animals. Why would that be the very first thing God have had Adam to do? I propose that Adam naming the animals was not arbitrary, it was mandatory. God gave Adam free will and with that came eternal life and with that the ability to love, but God for now had withheld procreation from Adam as there was no women. But there were the animals.

Adam is naked, as he names the animals . . . and the bible tells us when a mate wasn't found God created Eve. We would not be here if Adam had become aroused when naming the animals.

I say the above without any desire to offend but many will be offended. But the Bible states the above, about as clear as it states anything. It is early in Geneses, and therefore it is foundational to Christianity yet no one knows it, so I risk saying it just so one person might hear it and think anew.

God did not know until He knew what Adam's reaction would be in naming the animals. . .

The bottom line comes down this one question. I hope if you chose to respond to this post you will answer this simple question. "If" God wanted to, does God have the ability to create Adam in a way that He would not for sure what Adam would do in naming the animals? Yes or No.

My answer is that God can do things to limit Himself, and becoming a Father did just that in a big big way!
On naming animals: '' Before the woman came, God gave the man one last responsibility:
Now the LORD God had formed out of the ground all the beasts of the field and all the birds of the air. He brought them to the man to see what he would name them; and whatever the man called each living creature, that was its name. So the man gave names to all the livestock, the birds of the air and all the beasts of the field. (Gen. 2:19–20)
Did you know that the Hebrew concept of naming things actually means to possess them? This idea is very important in the Bible. Why did God tell the male to name the animals? Why didn‘t God name them Himself ? It is because whatever you name, you own. Whatever you name, you control. Very interesting. That‘s why God named the male. Can I take you one step further? This is why God did not name the woman. Now, men, that‘s a lot of weight on our shoulders. God chose not to name the female. He wanted the man to be totally responsible for her. Real men are very careful about naming things, because they know the truth of this principle: what you name, you
claim; and what you claim, you have the responsibility for.'' Understanding Purpose and Power of Men by Dr. Myles Munroe.
You need not guess why God had Adam name the animals, it says in the Bible and you failed to quote that part of the Bible.
Depending on the version of the bible you choose to quote, it says something like this "when a mate wasn't found" God made Eve. God had Adam name the animals to see if there was a mate for him.

Plus, Adam named Eve and Eve never belonged to Adam.
Chinazo Anozie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

Adanna Inya wrote: 17 Jun 2020, 15:38 This book is a thoroughly enjoyable read if you ask me. If you're a Christian, then you're conversant with the biblical versions of the different stories recorded in the book. You can easily separate fact from fiction.

However, in this book, the Godhead who is regarded as the all knowing and omnipotent was said to be limited, get worried, second guess, and have doubts. Nephilim came in from nowhere to help Noah build the ark. And the human Adam was even contemplating on the best retribution for the murder of Abel.

Did the author do too much with this in the name of fiction? Do you think that the author blasphemed? Will this book lead non Christians who don't know better astray?
I don't think the author blasphemed in any way. This book is pure fiction based on the bible. I agree the author did use his poetic license as much as he could. For non christians, I believe the description of the book should adequately state that it is a fiction.
Bennaji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bennaji.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by Bennaji »

I think the author merely used his human thinking in rationalizing the events of the creation story. You are also right when you say that the author presented God in a limited form.
fire_spice
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fire-spice.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by fire_spice »

It is possible that the book can lead non Christians astray. The way it is written, it appears almost authentic. The author did go overboard with his imagination. To an extent at some point it wasn't making sense anymore. God is said to be omnipotent, omniscient. So the idea of God experimenting with human beings is a bit alarming.
Maris Charles M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maris-charles-m.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Maris Charles M »

I think the author crossed the line over-exaggerating those stories contained in the Bible. I will not really call that blasphemy it was just his imaginations. And yes I think this book could lead those who are not too conversant with the Bible astray.
Maris Charles M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maris-charles-m.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Maris Charles M »

I think the author crossed the line abit over-exaggerating those stories contained in the Bible. I won't really say the author blasphemed it was just his imaginations he wrote down. Yes I think this book could lead those who are not too conversant with the Bible astray.
Moneybag
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moneybag.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Moneybag »

I think this is a very controversial question. I don't think the author blasphemed in anyway. The combination of the facts from the Bible and fiction was just perfect.
Donald Trust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-trust.html
Latest Review: Rosa by Barbara de la Cuesta

Post by Donald Trust »

It's fiction so every reader should expect it. It's also important that readers of this book should have a basic knowledge of the Holy Bible.
Cocobutta
Currently Reading: Hidden Current
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cocobutta.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Cocobutta »

Pretty giftee wrote: 18 Jun 2020, 18:41 I think the most amazing part of this book for me, is that the addition of fiction to this Bible stories, this alone triggers the urge to search the Bible in other to separate fiction from fact and this can be helpful to Christians.

The author did not blaspheme and I doubt if this book is capable of leading Christians who don't know better astray.
I doubt it would lead Christians astray but I feel like it may confuse non-Christians.

Return to “Discuss "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman”