Is God Open?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2020 Book of the month, "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman.
Chinazo Anozie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Re: Is God Open?

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

tieman55 wrote: 19 Jun 2020, 11:57 Killing Abel has an Open view of God. Maybe you should as well, just think about it . . .

Can God decide to limit Himself?

If your answer is no, then you and you alone are limiting God.

Does God have the creative abilities and or powers to create beings who are, to some degree, unpredictable?

If your answer is yes, then you must consider whether or not God did just that.

When God decided to become a loving parent of a free will being, He and He alone limited Himself to their free will. WOW, that was one big decision! Becoming a parent always is.

Many readers of Killing Abel object to my open portrayal of God. God’s nature in Killing Abel is, admittedly, much different than much of Christian thought. Most Christians, whether they know it or not, have a Calvinist/ classic Greek view of God. I do not. Greek classical theism believes that God is immutable. I do not. Becoming a parent is a change, and the Son humbling Himself to become a man . . . WOW that is one giant change!
I agree to the extent that giving humans free will and not forcing us to choose Him does limit God in a way, and is also evident of His love.
Bennaji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bennaji.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by Bennaji »

I think God decided to limit himself, which can be a dicey situation because most times, one would be tempted to step in. It also happens with earthly parents too. God is open-minded too.
Ola_Elise
Currently Reading: The Dream Keepers
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ola-elise.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Ola_Elise »

We as humans have no power to limit God, but God, who is all-powerful, has the ability to do so if he so desires. And we can see how God's power is limited by his love for his children. He chose to limit himself because of his reckless, overwhelming, and uncommon love.
Books are a unique form of accessible magic. Reading is required for those who wish to rise above the mundane. If you dislike reading, it's most likely because you haven't found the right book.
fire_spice
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fire-spice.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by fire_spice »

tieman55 wrote: 19 Jun 2020, 11:57 Killing Abel has an Open view of God. Maybe you should as well, just think about it . . .

Can God decide to limit Himself?

If your answer is no, then you and you alone are limiting God.

Does God have the creative abilities and or powers to create beings who are, to some degree, unpredictable?

If your answer is yes, then you must consider whether or not God did just that.

When God decided to become a loving parent of a free will being, He and He alone limited Himself to their free will. WOW, that was one big decision! Becoming a parent always is.

Many readers of Killing Abel object to my open portrayal of God. God’s nature in Killing Abel is, admittedly, much different than much of Christian thought. Most Christians, whether they know it or not, have a Calvinist/ classic Greek view of God. I do not. Greek classical theism believes that God is immutable. I do not. Becoming a parent is a change, and the Son humbling Himself to become a man . . . WOW that is one giant change!
I think that that's reducing God to a human being, I am just saying.
tieman55
Favorite Author: Michael Tieman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 167631

Post by tieman55 »

I am not doing anything to God, you are. I am merely pointing out that God can do/be who He is. You on the other hand are saying God has to be a certain way, because you think it or you believe it. Only a vain person thinks they can force God to conform to their beliefs. God can do what He wants to do. If God "wanted" to He could humble Himself, He could walk the earth, He could succumb to earthly laws and traditions. He could even allow Himself to be crucified.
Prestige-best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prestige-best.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Prestige-best »

God is open yes, the reason why he tells his plans to those who love him.
Maris Charles M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maris-charles-m.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Maris Charles M »

I believe God is open. And despite his impeccable glory, God is unlimited yet he still limits himself when it comes to man he created in his likeness. This is so, that we can exercise our will power.
Moneybag
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moneybag.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Moneybag »

Nicole_Boyd wrote: 19 Jun 2020, 12:23 I think God does limit himself. I believe He is all-powerful but he chose to limit himself when he came to earth. Who could stand before Him in all his power and glory, he had to cover Moses’ eyes when he passed before him or else he would have died. It’s a beautiful tension isn’t it? An all-powerful God choosing to meet us where we are as humans in the form of Jesus Christ and yet still display what is possible when we partner with Him?
Wow...
Thanks for this comment.
Agbata precious
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-precious.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Agbata precious »

Yes God is good he doesn't lie, we do everything we chose and he let us but, the consequences dine with is at the end of every decision.
Donald Trust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-trust.html
Latest Review: Rosa by Barbara de la Cuesta

Post by Donald Trust »

God is open that why he reveals his plans to those who trust him. Also how he relates to Adam.
Cocobutta
Currently Reading: Hidden Current
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cocobutta.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Cocobutta »

I feel like to a very large extent we cannot understand the complexity of God. I think he can limit himself when he wants to like by making creations who can choose to turn away from him. I find it all mind blowing.
Micah_1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micah-1.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Micah_1 »

Nicole_Boyd wrote: 19 Jun 2020, 12:23 I think God does limit himself. I believe He is all-powerful but he chose to limit himself when he came to earth. Who could stand before Him in all his power and glory, he had to cover Moses’ eyes when he passed before him or else he would have died. It’s a beautiful tension isn’t it? An all-powerful God choosing to meet us where we are as humans in the form of Jesus Christ and yet still display what is possible when we partner with Him?
Well said... God can decide to limit Himself.
IbrahimOtegbade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ibrahimotegbade.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by IbrahimOtegbade »

The idea presented in the story shows that God is limited by humans' decisions because he gave us freewill to choose without any divine intervention. The argument is theological. Just as portrayed in the book, is God really omniscient if he is limited by our freewill?
Agbata Precious 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-precious-1.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Agbata Precious 1 »

I think God is even too open for we humans, because he is too powerful and can have any thing he desires. To me he even limits himself.
Obi Egbuniwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obi-egbuniwe.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Obi Egbuniwe »

As much as I want to. I have a hard time picturing God as open. Acresoble, all knowing, all powerful? Yes. But open and potentially flawed? Heavens no. Isn't that why God is God. To be as much different from human as can be?

Return to “Discuss "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman”