Is God Omniscient?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2020 Book of the month, "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Re: Is God Omniscient?

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

Although an ominiscent God is what I was expecting, I didn't dislike this vulnerable side. Taking it as fiction, this really didn't bother me, but it doesn't follow the way God is portrayed in the Christian religion.
iknwuzoh
Currently Reading: We Are Voulhire: Fires of Virko
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iknwuzoh.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by iknwuzoh »

Yes, God is Omniscient, portraying God as someone less than Omniscient is a blasphemy. God is Omniscient.
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

Yes! I believe God is Omniscient because he made the whole universe and he knows the end from the beginning, nothing takes Him by surprise.
Deval Sodha
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 372
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deval-sodha.html
Latest Review: Speaks for Itself by Jeffrey Paul Bailey.

Post by Deval Sodha »

Yes God is omniscient I believe.
Though author has not protrayed him like that.
But I think everyone have their own perspective and I respect that.
Alya17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 612
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alya17.html
Latest Review: Rebecca's Adventure by Diana Johnson Narod

Post by Alya17 »

This is an interesting question. We were taught to believe that God is omniscient, but in this book God seems almost human. It is an interesting way to portray God and it does work in this context because in a sense God created humans for the first time. So, theoretically, it's His first experience with humans and that could lead to the lack of awareness and surprise.
Faithy_Goody_Star
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithy-star.html
Latest Review: Autism: One Grandparent's Roadmap by Geoffrey Robinson

Post by Faithy_Goody_Star »

Of course, God is completely omniscient. We cannot say that God does not have this quality simply because the author chose to portray him as one who is not all-knowing in the book. And yeah, I actually loved the way the writer portrayed God, it is quite thought-provoking.
Laura Mich
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-mich.html
Latest Review: A Woman's Rise To Courage by Birgit T Klare

Post by Laura Mich »

The God I worship is omniscient and all-powerful. However, in killing Abel, God seems surprised on some actions he actually bestowed on His people, for instance some curses.
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

Elvis Best wrote: 27 Jun 2020, 13:19 In the book, I think what the author tried to do was to humanise God. God was portrayed as a being who could also make mistakes. But this goes contrary to our believe that God is omniscient.

It's a different way to look at God, and I think what the author was trying to do was to challenge our former theology about God.
Okay, this is an interesting way to think of it.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
Gift5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gift5.html
Latest Review: Shield Down by William de Berg

Post by Gift5 »

Elvis Best wrote: 27 Jun 2020, 13:19 In the book, I think what the author tried to do was to humanize God. God was portrayed as a being who could also make mistakes. But this goes contrary to our believe that God is omniscient.

It's a different way to look at God, and I think what the author was trying to do was to challenge our former theology about God.
For me humanizing God is not something that should be encouraged on any level at all, because even the bible says it "God is not a man that He should lie nor is He the son of man that He should repent."
jimmy02
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimmy02.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by jimmy02 »

I feel, I haven't quite comprehended the idea of God yet. As a student of science, I can't help but look for a scientific explanation, or atleast a theory to support the idea of the entity known as 'God'. Most of all, I'm still confused.
There is no friend as loyal as a book.
~ Ernst Hemingway

:techie-studyingbrown:
Tabuya Dube
Favorite Book: Killing Abel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tabuya-dube.html
Latest Review: Without Redemption by David Griffith

Post by Tabuya Dube »

I also believe that God is omniscient. But I think the author is right in saying that people make their own choices - independent of God - and the consequences of those choices cannot be blamed on God.
Chinazo Anozie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

Anna Dougherty wrote: 25 Jun 2020, 12:45 I believe that God is omniscient, meaning that he knows all things that happened in the past, are currently happening, and will happen in the future. In Killing Able God is seemingly unaware of some of the effects of the curses he bestowed on Adam and Eve. He seems surprised that the curses did not do exactly what he had in mind. How could this happen if he is God? I think it is interesting that the author chose to portray God in this way.
I think that the author using his poetic license on his own perception of who God is.
Bennaji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bennaji.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by Bennaji »

The author really told this story from the human perspective which can be quite limited and myopic.
Ola_Elise
Currently Reading: The Dream Keepers
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ola-elise.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Ola_Elise »

I believe God is omniscient, meaning he knows everything about the past, present, and future. Nothing gets him off guard.
Books are a unique form of accessible magic. Reading is required for those who wish to rise above the mundane. If you dislike reading, it's most likely because you haven't found the right book.
fire_spice
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fire-spice.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by fire_spice »

Anna Dougherty wrote: 25 Jun 2020, 12:45 I believe that God is omniscient, meaning that he knows all things that happened in the past, are currently happening, and will happen in the future. In Killing Able God is seemingly unaware of some of the effects of the curses he bestowed on Adam and Eve. He seems surprised that the curses did not do exactly what he had in mind. How could this happen if he is God? I think it is interesting that the author chose to portray God in this way.
I don't know.. did God know man would fail inspire of his efforts? I feel like through out the Bible until the new testament, God was experimenting with our salvation. That's my take..or he probably had a plan you know by sending prophets etc building towards the climax. In which case he would be omniscient like you said.

Return to “Discuss "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman”