Is God Omniscient?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2020 Book of the month, "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman.
Eunice Geres
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eunice-geres.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Re: Is God Omniscient?

Post by Eunice Geres »

God is omniscient, but I believe that He gives human beings a free will. He knows everything that will happen to us but God gave us the choice to do want when want. It's like He knows what we would choose. And if He thinks that what we chose is bad for us, then He will wait for us to ask Him to save us.
Imstaci-1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imstaci-1.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Imstaci-1 »

Definitely omniscient. If the book portrays it differently then there is a possibility of it leading some people astray. God is here, he sees all and knows all. He knew each of us even before we were conceived. Because we have freewill, we keep making "shocking" decisions...
Imstaci-1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imstaci-1.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Imstaci-1 »

Fae Liesl Enchantee wrote: 10 Aug 2020, 23:21 God is omniscient, but I believe that He gives human beings a free will. He knows everything that will happen to us but God gave us the choice to do want when want. It's like He knows what we would choose. And if He thinks that what we chose is bad for us, then He will wait for us to ask Him to save us.
I agree with you. Together with reading the word, prayer and fasting are meant to help us overcome temptation so we can stay in God's grace. Choices, choices, choices!
Leecedar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leecedar.html
Latest Review: The Godfathers of Sex Abuse, Book I: Jeffrey Epstein by Deana Pollard Sacks

Post by Leecedar »

Fae Liesl Enchantee wrote: 10 Aug 2020, 23:21 God is omniscient, but I believe that He gives human beings a free will. He knows everything that will happen to us but God gave us the choice to do want when want. It's like He knows what we would choose. And if He thinks that what we chose is bad for us, then He will wait for us to ask Him to save us.
I agree with you, Fae... and when I get up to heaven, I wish to ask Him, "wouldn't it have been okay to leave everything 'very good', as you yourself said? Free will has led to no end of problems..." I have only human comprehension, but perfect is, at least to this human, well... perfect!
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

Yes I believe that He is. Nothing ever catches Him by suprise.
snowbear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowbear.html
Latest Review: What am I by stephen Thiele

Post by snowbear »

Yes, God is omniscient, but I think the author wanted God to have some characteristics of a human too that's why he made God's character that way. But God is all-knowing, and he is too far from how we humans are like, that I think our human minds can't really comprehend what his whole being is like or its characteristics.
Inkroverts
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkroverts.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Inkroverts »

I saw a lot of people making this mistake when writing in God's perspective. As humans, we have no concept of how it feels like being Omniscient, and we are incapable of truly loving everything and everyone. So naturally, we write God like a man.
tieman55
Favorite Author: Michael Tieman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 167631

Post by tieman55 »

Anna Dougherty wrote: 25 Jun 2020, 12:45 I believe that God is omniscient, meaning that he knows all things that happened in the past, are currently happening, and will happen in the future. In Killing Able God is seemingly unaware of some of the effects of the curses he bestowed on Adam and Eve. He seems surprised that the curses did not do exactly what he had in mind. How could this happen if he is God? I think it is interesting that the author chose to portray God in this way.
Can you force God to do as you describe above? Can you?

What if God chooses not to know something? What if God wants to forget something, can you stop Him? What if God forgives your sin, can you force Him to remember something that He has chosen to forgive?

When Abraham went to kill Issac, God said, Now I know you love me, because you haven't withheld your only son.
So are you right or is the Bible right?

For us, forgetting something can be hard to do, but God can forget things without difficulty.

God knows all that is Knowable, all that He wants to know and chooses to remember.
mraphael1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mraphael1.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Post by mraphael1 »

I agree that God is omniscient and all knowing, but I think that in a novel it would be hard to portray God in such a way and would take away from parts of the story.
Lilyflower-x2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilyflower-x2.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Lilyflower-x2 »

do20 wrote: 29 Jun 2020, 12:31 I believe that God is omniscient, he knows everything about the past, the present and the future. God was not surprised but rather angry because human being had disobeyed him.
Well said.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin
Clancy193
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clancy193.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Clancy193 »

Yes. God is omniscient. But speaking of the author's decision, I could as well say he wrote it from a fictional perspective. So anything writen could be what he thinks and his perspective towards the aforementioned fact.
Leecedar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leecedar.html
Latest Review: The Godfathers of Sex Abuse, Book I: Jeffrey Epstein by Deana Pollard Sacks

Post by Leecedar »

tieman55 wrote: 17 Aug 2020, 11:19
What if God chooses not to know something? What if God wants to forget something, can you stop Him? What if God forgives your sin, can you force Him to remember something that He has chosen to forgive?
Jesus Christ and the New Testament are verifications of what you said, Tieman. Christ said that nobody but the Father knows the day of the coming of the Lord. The Bible's explanation of salvation is that our sins will be cast as far from God the Father as the East is from the West, and nobody comes to the Father except through the Son.

So, the reason that God can enforce his decision to forget sin lies in his omnipotence.
Lhammamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lhammamy.html
Latest Review: Manasakd by Kelly May Andrews

Post by Lhammamy »

I am a Muslim and it really interests me to see how different religions tell the same from different views. So I definitely believe that God knew everything going to happen since before the creation. I also believe that his knowledge didn't affect our free well. So God know our choices but didn't choose it for us. However for Killing Abel... no facts or beliefs should be inferred from the author's style of writing as he is narrating stories from his views.
AbhyarnaAman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abhyarnaaman.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by AbhyarnaAman »

Vic Chimezie wrote: 30 Jun 2020, 02:15 Ever pondered on this topic too? Well, I still believe that God is omniscient. I like how the author portrayed God's surprise. I think the freedom of 'will' comes with unpredictable consequences. Man had free will. The rest makes this book exciting.
However omniscient the god is, it is up to humans to choose the path (as you mention of free will), God might be surprised of the path humans choose.
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
Nicholas Christian
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicholas-christian.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Nicholas Christian »

The author erred in giving God some human characteristics. He may have been well-meaning, but it was a faux pas all the same. God is omniscient, meaning He knows all the different permutations of our probable actions, ie. He knows the future. Therefore, it would be implausible for him to be surprised by Cain's actions.

Return to “Discuss "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman”