Was Eden a true paradise?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2020 Book of the month, "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman.
Becca_Als
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-als.html
Latest Review: A Woman to Blame by Vincent Panettiere

Re: Was Eden a true paradise?

Post by Becca_Als »

I'm not entirely sure what to think about Eden. I mean if it's supposed to be Heaven on Earth, then why was the snake there in the first place (forgive me for going into the bible)? The snake was cunning and tricked Eve, so surely it can't be a true Paradise. Besides, there was a murder there!
taejin jin
Currently Reading: My "Enemy" in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taejin-jin.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by taejin jin »

It was a paradise that God created for them. However Adam and Eve didn't resist the serpent and corrupted it.
Rabia Farooq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rabia-farooq.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Rabia Farooq »

That's an incredibly important question. I feel like I would side with your opinion on this. I get the perspective that the others are posing in this forum but somehow there is a nagging feeling that I can shake like if it was truly paradise, none of the incidents were possible
Lynch kobe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lynch-kobe.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben

Post by Lynch kobe »

Uncle_Praise wrote: 04 Jul 2020, 04:59 I do not really understand the question. But according to the Bible, the Garden of Eden was described as Heaven on Earth, which means something like a paradise. My own question is: is the Garden of Eden on planet earth. if yes where?
According to Wikipedia, it's at "southern Mesopotamia" which is now iraq
Laura Britos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-victoria2002.html
Latest Review: The Last Time I Saw Alice by Richard Kirschenbaum

Post by Laura Britos »

I think that theoretically Eden was a paradise, it was described as Heaven on Earth. However, the loneliness that Adam and Eve could have felt, even though the two of them were together could have broken this illusion of paradise. However this question is up to interpretation.
Laura Britos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-victoria2002.html
Latest Review: The Last Time I Saw Alice by Richard Kirschenbaum

Post by Laura Britos »

Rabia Farooq wrote: 13 Jul 2020, 10:38 That's an incredibly important question. I feel like I would side with your opinion on this. I get the perspective that the others are posing in this forum but somehow there is a nagging feeling that I can shake like if it was truly paradise, none of the incidents were possible
I partially agree with you. I think that perhaps without humans “misbehaving“ it could be considered more like a paradise. Because it is true, why would incidents be possible in a place considered Heaven on Earth. In addition, the people can also change the perception of a place and its description.
Reader047
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader047.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Reader047 »

According to theological writings, Eden was a true paradise on Earth. Though, this opinion is arguable depending on once understanding about the concepts of paradise and heaven.
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Miller56 »

I think Eden was designed as a true paradise. Unfortunately, there were requirements for it to remain a paradise and Adam and Eve did not follow the rules. I think Eden provides us a vision of what goodness and a plentiful life can look like where everything is provided and we do not have to worry.
Porcupineapple15
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-porcupineapple15.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Porcupineapple15 »

I think I understand your question, so I want to point out that the murder occurred after Adam and Eve had chosen to sin against God and were unfortunately cast out into the dry, dangerous world. Eden was designed specifically by God to be a true, safe, beautiful paradise for his children to live in and be happy. I do believe that it was indeed the paradise that the Bible describes. Hope that sheds some light on your question!
gelli_baranda wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 10:06 Eden has always been described as heaven on Earth. If it was, with all the good things there, shouldn't a murder a mishap in the so-called paradise?
Porcupineapple15
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-porcupineapple15.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Porcupineapple15 »

I agree with you about the modern part, but I also think that Eden was deliberately designed to be a physical paradise. In Genesis, it talks about there being every species of animal living in relative harmony, and humans walked among them as the “Ruler of the Beasts”. It’s important to remember that though Adam and Eve wore no clothes, they had no shame until Eve ate the apple, gave it to Adam, and their eyes were opened. So it’s vital to note that part of the whole “paradise” effect ties into the thought that Adam and Eve were at peace with themselves and talked with God freely. In that sense, it was quite literally a paradise before sin entered the world. Hope that helps!!!
BookLoverMC wrote: 08 Jul 2020, 07:45 I think that, from a modern perspective, maybe not. But life was born out of Eden, so in that sense it is quite a paradise.
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Beatus »

An act that gave birth to death. Consequence or a wilful decision?
Dreamer80
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dreamer80.html
Latest Review: How Trends Make You A Smarter Investor by Gabrielle Dahms

Post by Dreamer80 »

Sorry for not understand correctly, but I believe Eden was true paradise. Perhaps with clearer question, an interesting conversation can be sparked
Olabode Joshua
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olabode-joshua.html
Latest Review: Natural Born Gangster: The Legend of Chris Bell by C J H Moore
Reading Device: B0042D75TU

Post by Olabode Joshua »

Eden is a true paradise. The Cain and Abel incident didn't happen in Eden. Eden still exists until today. It's in a spiritual phase.
Remember, we are passers-by in this realm
Alexandros92
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandros92.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Alexandros92 »

Edem was a spiritual paradise of absolute good. Even there though, people have free choice.
tanner87cbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanner87cbs.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by tanner87cbs »

Considering that Eden is where Adam and Eve were placed after being created, is more evidence to me that it was a paradise. A piece of heaven on earth if you would. After the fall, Adam and Eve were removed from the garden. So it is up for theological debate if Eden was on a different scale compared to the rest of creation.

Return to “Discuss "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman”