Relevance

Use this forum to discuss the June 2020 Book of the month, "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman.
Patrick Maina1
Currently Reading: The Power of Habit
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patrick-maina1.html
Latest Review: How To Keep Your Daughter From Slamming the Door by Deborah Ann Davis
Reading Device: Moonreader

Relevance

Post by Patrick Maina1 »

What is the relevance of the stories in this book to contemporary living?
Maconstewart
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading: Black Beach
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maconstewart.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Maconstewart »

I think several elements of relevance can be found. Just as they can be found in many historical novels. Our surroundings may have changed, but we still have the basic human needs, desires, and functions. Each individual has to ask themselves, "am I going to be a good person or an evil one?" We have to eat, love, hate, and then decide how to act on those feelings. I also think a large one, in respect to this book, is the concept of consequences to ones actions.
Lisa

My greatest accomplishment is that I raised two daughters that love to read.
:techie-reference: :techie-reference:
Ogbara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86

Post by Ogbara »

Maconstewart wrote: 06 Sep 2020, 10:57 I think several elements of relevance can be found. Just as they can be found in many historical novels. Our surroundings may have changed, but we still have the basic human needs, desires, and functions. Each individual has to ask themselves, "am I going to be a good person or an evil one?" We have to eat, love, hate, and then decide how to act on those feelings. I also think a large one, in respect to this book, is the concept of consequences to ones actions.
Yes I have to agree with you, the consequence of one's actions is a large one. We have to weigh our choices carefully, for they define the life we live.
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

Maconstewart wrote: 06 Sep 2020, 10:57 I think several elements of relevance can be found. Just as they can be found in many historical novels. Our surroundings may have changed, but we still have the basic human needs, desires, and functions. Each individual has to ask themselves, "am I going to be a good person or an evil one?" We have to eat, love, hate, and then decide how to act on those feelings. I also think a large one, in respect to this book, is the concept of consequences to ones actions.
Very correct and comprehensive.
I agree totally.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
Chinazo Anozie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

Patrick Maina1 wrote: 07 Aug 2020, 00:50 What is the relevance of the stories in this book to contemporary living?
There are so many things that the author talked about that are still issues today such as the justice system, rivalry, the markings of a good marriage, and so on.
Bennaji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bennaji.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by Bennaji »

It is relevant in our contemporary time in the way God is displayed. It reveals God in a different light as we are used to. This will help a lot of people to love God more in this generation.
fire_spice
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fire-spice.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by fire_spice »

Patrick Maina1 wrote: 07 Aug 2020, 00:50 What is the relevance of the stories in this book to contemporary living?
I think we learn a lot. From Lamech's obsession with wealth and power to Cain's Killing of Abel. There are many points of reflection that I think are relevant even today. The concept of law and punishment too. I personally understood for instance why the death penalty came about and why it's so important for some people.
Maris Charles M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maris-charles-m.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Maris Charles M »

So thoughtful of you. I am taking your side on this.
Moneybag
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moneybag.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Moneybag »

Great comment!
I totally agree with you on this.
Donald Trust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-trust.html
Latest Review: Rosa by Barbara de la Cuesta

Post by Donald Trust »

Maconstewart wrote: 06 Sep 2020, 10:57 I think several elements of relevance can be found. Just as they can be found in many historical novels. Our surroundings may have changed, but we still have the basic human needs, desires, and functions. Each individual has to ask themselves, "am I going to be a good person or an evil one?" We have to eat, love, hate, and then decide how to act on those feelings. I also think a large one, in respect to this book, is the concept of consequences to one's actions.
My exact thought totally I agree with you.
Cocobutta
Currently Reading: Hidden Current
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cocobutta.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Cocobutta »

fire_spice wrote: 30 May 2022, 01:32
I think we learn a lot. From Lamech's obsession with wealth and power to Cain's Killing of Abel. There are many points of reflection that I think are relevant even today. The concept of law and punishment too. I personally understood for instance why the death penalty came about and why it's so important for some people.
I agree with your point of view. The book shows the beginning of law and punishment and the concept of consequences as well.
Micah_1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micah-1.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Micah_1 »

In our contemporary living today, people kill or do one act of wickedness or another to others because of jealousy, it still happens. So I think this book is teaching us about that and the consequences of been bad to another.
IbrahimOtegbade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ibrahimotegbade.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by IbrahimOtegbade »

There are some contemporary ideas in the story; anachronisms are all over the book. The ideas of justice and guilt are contemporary. They are things everyone can relate with.
Obi Egbuniwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obi-egbuniwe.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Obi Egbuniwe »

I personally don't see much relevance. It's a thought provoking piece which prompts introspection. After that, I went about my life as usual. Can't say there I experienced a massive paradigm shift.
Moo Reny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moo-reny.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Moo Reny »

Parenting! Nobody was taught how to be a parent and the fact that God was portrayed this way as a loving father is cool.

Return to “Discuss "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman”