Cain's mark

Use this forum to discuss the June 2020 Book of the month, "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman.
Chinazo Anozie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Cain's mark

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

Another interesting depiction by the author was Cain's mark. I thought the author really stretched his poetic license in calling Cain's mark an angel. In my opinion and from my understanding of the Bible, Cain's mark was placed by God to protect him from the harsh ramifications of his punishment. But this was different in the book.

What are your thoughts?
Angel Tochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angel-tochukwu.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Angel Tochukwu »

As one who is quite familiar with the Bible, I can recognize fiction from truth and treat it as such, but this would seem so confusing to one who isn't as grounded as I am. And yeah, Cain's mark was indeed placed by God to protect him. I just came across this discussion and I'm truly intrigued by what I've been seeing. Unfortunately, I haven't read this book yet and although I'm worried about the stretched poetic license you mentioned, I would endeavour to do so as soon as possible (it really does sound interesting).
Chinazo Anozie
Currently Reading:

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

Angel Tochukwu wrote: 02 Mar 2022, 06:05 As one who is quite familiar with the Bible, I can recognize fiction from truth and treat it as such, but this would seem so confusing to one who isn't as grounded as I am. And yeah, Cain's mark was indeed placed by God to protect him. I just came across this discussion and I'm truly intrigued by what I've been seeing. Unfortunately, I haven't read this book yet and although I'm worried about the stretched poetic license you mentioned, I would endeavour to do so as soon as possible (it really does sound interesting).
It is a very thought provoking read. Happy reading!
Regard003
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-regard003.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Regard003 »

No, I don't think it was different in the book. Cain mark was to protect him for those that wants to kill him and it was the same in the book. Although some scenes that weren't in the bible were added in the book I think the summary of the mark still remains the same. Protection
Zulaykha_001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zulaykha-001.html
Latest Review: Twisted But True by Darren Burch

Post by Zulaykha_001 »

I think Cain's mark is a blessing and curse, a blessing in the sense that it protected him from what would have been a very harsh judgement by the people in the circle, and a curse because everyone he loved died right before him, Eva and his son. So I feel the mark is interwoven
Bennaji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bennaji.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by Bennaji »

I think the whole idea of Cain's mark was exaggerated. It was meant to protect him but the whole concept of children being born with the mark was over exaggerated in my opinion.
Chinazo Anozie
Currently Reading:

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

Bennaji wrote: 12 Apr 2022, 11:33 I think the whole idea of Cain's mark was exaggerated. It was meant to protect him but the whole concept of children being born with the mark was over exaggerated in my opinion.
I completely agree.
Bennete+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bennete.html
Latest Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom

Post by Bennete+ »

I don't know about others but Cain's mark points to his protection and also the children born from angels. I think it was quite creative of the author. Those thinking it is exaggerated may be missing something.
Ola_Elise
Currently Reading: The Dream Keepers
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ola-elise.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Ola_Elise »

Bennaji wrote: 12 Apr 2022, 11:33 I think the whole idea of Cain's mark was exaggerated. It was meant to protect him but the whole concept of children being born with the mark was over exaggerated in my opinion.
To some extent, I believed it was possible because a father's wrongdoing might be traced down to his third generation. It's possible that the mark on children because of the father's action isn't an exaggeration.
Books are a unique form of accessible magic. Reading is required for those who wish to rise above the mundane. If you dislike reading, it's most likely because you haven't found the right book.
fire_spice
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fire-spice.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by fire_spice »

Nazzo wrote: 14 Feb 2022, 07:06 Another interesting depiction by the author was Cain's mark. I thought the author really stretched his poetic license in calling Cain's mark an angel. In my opinion and from my understanding of the Bible, Cain's mark was placed by God to protect him from the harsh ramifications of his punishment. But this was different in the book.

What are your thoughts?
😂 I agree! The author stretches a lot in the book.
Delioness
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delioness.html
Latest Review: Without Redemption by David Griffith

Post by Delioness »

Cain's mark was placed on him for his protection and the author said so explicitly. The only downside was that the mark fell in love with Eva and conceived a son with her.
Zaynnie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zaynnie.html
Latest Review: The Weed Lady by Shea R Embry

Post by Zaynnie »

It wasn't any different in the book, the author stated it that the mark of Cain is in form of an angel that will protect him from any harm. I used to think Cain's mark was a form of punishment but after reading the book I realized it was more like the Godhead wants to give Cain a second chance thereby giving him the mark
fire_spice
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fire-spice.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by fire_spice »

Nazzo wrote: 14 Feb 2022, 07:06 Another interesting depiction by the author was Cain's mark. I thought the author really stretched his poetic license in calling Cain's mark an angel. In my opinion and from my understanding of the Bible, Cain's mark was placed by God to protect him from the harsh ramifications of his punishment. But this was different in the book.

What are your thoughts?
The writer was simply telling a story. He wanted to use the story to explain and illustrate his thoughts concerning the origin and foundations of man. A lot like talking about philosophy through stories. I think he used creativity to achieve that and he said it in the introduction; that his goal is to explain things as simply as possible.
Prestige-best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prestige-best.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Prestige-best »

Generally, the mark was for protection.
Maris Charles M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maris-charles-m.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Maris Charles M »

Angel Tochukwu wrote: 02 Mar 2022, 06:05 As one who is quite familiar with the Bible, I can recognize fiction from truth and treat it as such, but this would seem so confusing to one who isn't as grounded as I am. And yeah, Cain's mark was indeed placed by God to protect him. I just came across this discussion and I'm truly intrigued by what I've been seeing. Unfortunately, I haven't read this book yet and although I'm worried about the stretched poetic license you mentioned, I would endeavour to do so as soon as possible (it really does sound interesting).
I totally agree with you. At some point i felt the author was over telling the story. He added alot I found this subject uninteresting.

Return to “Discuss "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman”