The Nephilim

Use this forum to discuss the June 2020 Book of the month, "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman.
Chinazo Anozie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

The Nephilim

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

I didn't really like/agree with the author's portrayal of the Nephilim. According to the bible, the Nephilim were sons of God who came down from heaven, married human women, and also had children with them. They were also renowned and known as heroes of old (Gen. 6:4).

However, the author depiction them as merely slow-witted giants. What are your thoughts on this?
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Janet Kimetto »

I agree with you on this, I even said so in my review. I did not like the fact that the Nephilim were portrayed as slow-witted giants who could hardly communicate. Definitely not how I think of them.
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
Rachel Gillig, One Dark Window
Chinazo Anozie
Currently Reading:

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

C Janet wrote: 28 Feb 2022, 09:58 I agree with you on this, I even said so in my review. I did not like the fact that the Nephilim were portrayed as slow-witted giants who could hardly communicate. Definitely not how I think of them.
He really put in a lot of poetic license in his work. Btw, i love that you quoted Strange The Dreamer. I really love that book!
Bennaji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bennaji.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by Bennaji »

The author used his poetic license to the extreme in this case. I think he should have stuck with the bible's narrative.
Chinazo Anozie
Currently Reading:

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

Bennaji wrote: 12 Apr 2022, 11:34 The author used his poetic license to the extreme in this case. I think he should have stuck with the bible's narrative.
I agree.
Delioness
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delioness.html
Latest Review: Without Redemption by David Griffith

Post by Delioness »

The book was a work of fiction, so I felt that the author's deviation from the original biblical perspective was just a twist in the narration. It would have been an issue for me if the book fell under the non-fiction genre.
fire_spice
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fire-spice.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by fire_spice »

Nazzo wrote: 14 Feb 2022, 07:10 I didn't really like/agree with the author's portrayal of the Nephilim. According to the bible, the Nephilim were sons of God who came down from heaven, married human women, and also had children with them. They were also renowned and known as heroes of old (Gen. 6:4).

However, the author depiction them as merely slow-witted giants. What are your thoughts on this?
I think he did that to fit in with the narrative, the plot of the story. I don't think the author wanted the Nephilim to be so significant in the book. There were enough trouble causers😄 like Cain and lamech
Chinazo Anozie
Currently Reading:

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

Delioness wrote: 25 May 2022, 01:56 The book was a work of fiction, so I felt that the author's deviation from the original biblical perspective was just a twist in the narration. It would have been an issue for me if the book fell under the non-fiction genre.
Yeah, this makes sense. The author rightly categorises it as non-fiction, so I guess he has the liberty to insert his interpretations.
Maris Charles M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maris-charles-m.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Maris Charles M »

On this, I choose to go with what the Bible said .
Moneybag
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moneybag.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Moneybag »

I agree with this post. I do not agree with the authors idea about the Nephilim.
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: Lost in Plan Sight by Karen Magee

Post by Laney K »

Delioness wrote: 25 May 2022, 01:56 The book was a work of fiction, so I felt that the author's deviation from the original biblical perspective was just a twist in the narration. It would have been an issue for me if the book fell under the non-fiction genre.
There were definitely other creative licenses that were taken so I agree with you. Just something to spice up the story a bit.
Agbata precious
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-precious.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Agbata precious »

C Janet wrote: 28 Feb 2022, 09:58 I agree with you on this, I esven said so in my review. I did not like the fact that the Nephilim were portrayed as slow-witted giants who could hardly communicate. Definitely not how I think of them.
I agree with this.
Donald Trust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-trust.html
Latest Review: Rosa by Barbara de la Cuesta

Post by Donald Trust »

Well, it is a fictional book so I did not find it annoying it's the authors thought.
Cocobutta
Currently Reading: Hidden Current
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cocobutta.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Cocobutta »

I definitely agree. It was stated under the fiction genre so before reading the book I think it is necessary not to expect it to be biblically accurate.
maycherono91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maycherono91.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by maycherono91 »

The author's depiction of Nephilims was exactly as I have known it to be all my life. When the fallen angels walked with female humans, the offspring were the Nephilims the likes of Goliath. There are other giants mentioned in the Bible e.g Ishi-Benob, Goliath's son

Return to “Discuss "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman”