Is it heretic?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2020 Book of the month, "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman.
Victoria Ukamaka
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-ukamaka.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Is it heretic?

Post by Victoria Ukamaka »

I admire the author's imaginations and his ability to bring together fractions of the bible narrative from different versions of the bible, all the while filling in places to make the story make more sense. However, considering that the bible is a book held to a high standard for being complete, and an actual verse from it said that (rephrasing) nothing should be added nor removed from it. Do you think the book is heretic?
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I don’t think that using one’s imagination in this way is ever bad. I believe that it is complete in the sense that it tells everything that needs to be known. If every detail was written, the Bible would be too big and too heavy to take anywhere. There’s nothing wrong with filling in the blanks that are not specifically stated. Changing what is told is something else entirely.
Micah_1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micah-1.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Micah_1 »

I don't really think is a bad idea, the author just filled in gaps in the book with his thoughts and imagination. And I wouldn't really say he rephrased the Bible because he didn't write a Bible, rather he wrote a book based on the Bible.
IbrahimOtegbade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ibrahimotegbade.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by IbrahimOtegbade »

I don't think it's heretic in that it's not theology in the first instance. The only mistake I think the author made is referring to the Bible. The story could have been just fiction without any references. The author makes it difficult to regard it as a pure work of fiction.
Gandhi_D 1st
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gandhi-d-1st.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Gandhi_D 1st »

Victoria Ukamaka wrote: 19 Jul 2022, 10:52 I admire the author's imaginations and his ability to bring together fractions of the bible narrative from different versions of the bible, all the while filling in places to make the story make more sense. However, considering that the bible is a book held to a high standard for being complete, and an actual verse from it said that (rephrasing) nothing should be added nor removed from it. Do you think the book is a heretic?
Yeah, at least I am not the only one who noticed this, it is heretic, in my opinion it contradicted to the established knowledge of what the bible holds.
Obi Egbuniwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obi-egbuniwe.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Obi Egbuniwe »

No, I don't think it's heretic at all. Sacred religious symbols are to be viewed and inquired upon. The only line to never cross is disrespect. From my assessment, the author has not disrespected Christianity in any way.
Moo Reny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moo-reny.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Moo Reny »

I don't think he changed the Bible in the way you suggest, it's not like he's preaching his book as the right book.
Not available anymore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-covenant-morolayo-olusegun.html
Latest Review: Stones by James C. Hendee

Post by Not available anymore »

I think the author should have just left the book as a fiction, and I wished he SPECIFICALLY urged readers that this is his own imagination and shouldn't be a substitute to the Bible.
Jay David Randall
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-david-randall.html
Latest Review: Scrooge's Folly - Saving Jacob Marley by David Jay Weinberg

Post by Jay David Randall »

I don't think it is heretic although I didn't like some of his descriptions of the Bible. I don't think he is a heretic.
"Keep your face always toward the sunshine, and shadows will fall behind you."Walt Whitman :tiphat:
Online Concept
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ezel-dornelles.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Online Concept »

I wouldn't call it herectic, but I deem it inappropriate. The rate of deviations and additions to this Bible stories where unnerving to me, considering how I am very familiar with these Bible stories.
Mellino Itz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mellino-itz.html
Latest Review: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude by Anthony A. Morris

Post by Mellino Itz »

The author indicated that this book was a fiction of his imagination and I don't think it is wrong for one to express what he thinks of the stories contained in the Bible. I don't think this book made the Bible seem incomplete in anyway.
Samantha Calderon 1
Favorite Book: Dying Well
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-calderon-1.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Samantha Calderon 1 »

I do not think that this book is heretic, but it should not be considered an addition to the Bible because the Bible was written by God through the Holy Spirit and this book was not. It is a fictional book based off of Biblical scripture, but so is a lot of stories we have now, they are just not stated as such. Therefore, this book is not heretic.
Azuka Jessica
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azuka-jessica.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Azuka Jessica »

The same God gave us imagination and the author never said it was part of the Bible. He stated that most of it was fiction. Therefore, I see nothing bad
Deeda Harris
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-daay.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Deeda Harris »

I don't know for sure whether it iss heretic or not, that's between the author and God and his convictions.
Oluwa Tomisin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwa-tomisin.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Oluwa Tomisin »

This book is not heretic thought it was far fetched but it's still allowed since it's a frictional book.

Return to “Discuss "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman”