Overall rating and opinion of "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker

Use this forum to discuss the July 2020 Book of the month, "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker.
Cyusa Miguel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker

Post by Cyusa Miguel »

Uncle Randell is missing and presumed dead. Dr Grant Taylor fists his eyes on what he believed to be Uncle Randell's journal; In it, is the possible location to find Uncle Randell. So, Taylor takes off for the search of Uncle Randell, which eventually turned into an awesome adventure. Taylor met Irina; they go off to find land high up in the mountains were large animals live. The read becomes more interesting as Irina and Taylor meets others.
I will rate this book a 3 out of 4 stars because I am not really into science fictions however, I loved this book because it was full of adventures and suspence. I really liked the determination of Dr Taylor and would recommend this book to persons who love a good suspence while reading because it is an interesting read and it was quite engaging.
Vine Michael
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vine-michael.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Vine Michael »

Really not into science fiction, I found this book quite interesting. If you can overlook the sluggish buildup then you might enjoy the book.
gatuguta2030
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gatuguta2030.html
Latest Review: Spirit of the Season by Brian Lamont

Post by gatuguta2030 »

DorcasToo wrote: 20 Jul 2020, 13:11 This book is in my to-read list, I have seen mixed reviews hence why I will read it. Also, I love sci-fi and I wouldn't mind this.
Well,that is good.I hope you will enjoy the book like i did.
Kemmy11
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemmy11.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Kemmy11 »

Amazing suspense-filled sci-fi book with incredible plots twists. though the book was a little slow, but I enjoyed reading it as it was quite engaging.
FOR PRESLEY
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by FOR PRESLEY »

A big fan of Sci-fi hence enjoyed the read.. the fantasy,adventure and romance was great. However the book was slow and at somepoint it got unbelievable. From me the book gets 3stars out of 4. Interesting read.
Nath_chuks
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nath-chuks.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Nath_chuks »

This is an adventurous, suspense filled book. Although it became a little slow at some point, it was worth the read
Niv123
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nivi-gideon.html
Latest Review: Returning fire by Linda rhoutsong

Post by Niv123 »

Has all my favourite genres combined in one. I'm presently through half of the book and am enjoying it.
gacoapstick
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gacoapstick.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by gacoapstick »

I give this book a 3 out of 4. The characters were compelling, and the story was very interesting. My main complaint is that in the beginning, it seems like a mystery book, but by the end, the mystery aspect is completely dropped with a lot of questions left unanswered.
Sally_Heart
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sally-heart.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sally_Heart »

I would like to rate the story somewhere between 2 and 3 stars since the story itself seems somewhat slow. The protagonist also easily loses focus and gets distracted easily.
Glamour92
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Glamour92 »

I will rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It is not my usual genre but I enjoyed this one despite the sluggish buildup. I will recommend this book to persons who love science fiction because it is an interesting and engaging read.
Leecedar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leecedar.html
Latest Review: The Godfathers of Sex Abuse, Book I: Jeffrey Epstein by Deana Pollard Sacks

Post by Leecedar »

I just finished reading Zona, and loved it. All of the detail and Baker's general style kept me engrossed. The editing was perfect. Only negative comment I have is I didn't like the plot holes. Those holes were (1) Why was the FSB involved at all? The first expedition was a commercial venture, not a military one. If the FSB wasn't involved, we could just have an adventure novel, and not a mystery. I think the book could have stood on its own without the mystery. Oh, and (2) What's the purpose of the key hidden in the journal?

Inquiring minds want to know....
Kreads1
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Currently Reading: The Once and Future Witches
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kreads1.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by Kreads1 »

I rated this book 4 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed this book, although I felt that there was more of a fantasy aspect to it then science fiction. I didn't mind this in the least, just an observation I made. What I enjoyed the most about the book were the animals that played a role in the expedition, especially Shadow. I must say that in the beginning of the book I felt that Grant was making some foolish errors causing me to form negative opinions of him as a character, but over time I grew fond of him.
Maiza
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Maiza »

I rated 3 out of 4. Even though I don't normally like science fiction, the beginning of the book did not have that feel, and I became hooked on the plot. I felt like it became more unbelievable as time went on, however, and I liked it
baha Ibrahim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-baha-ibrahim.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by baha Ibrahim »

the book is so fascinating that I couldn’t put it down until I finished. The group met with difficult situations, extraordinary animals and situations caused by Mother Nature. The descriptions of the animals, near-death situations, sexual adventures among the members of the expedition and the quest for information about what might have become of Uncle Randall all provide captivating reading and fascinating detail about the landscape and difficulties of the uninhabited (by people) area of Siberia. The writing is so compelling and vivid that, at times, I felt as though I was right at the scene with the characters.
There are many twists and surprises as the book moves along, and the ending is a big surprise. Although I am new to the Science Fiction genre, I thoroughly enjoyed this book and would highly recommend it to anyone except perhaps younger children because of the descriptive language used during altercations between characters and animals. It moves at a good pace, is well written and has information, factual and fictional, that almost any reader would enjoy.
xsquare
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xsquare.html
Latest Review: Kitty and Kat - MiceQuest by Robert Beals III

Post by xsquare »

I'm only partway through the book right now, but I'm not sure if I'm going to finish - the writing doesn't help in holding my attention. Not a fan of the slow start either.

Return to “Discuss "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker”