Overall rating and opinion of "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker

Use this forum to discuss the July 2020 Book of the month, "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker.
kperm
Currently Reading: Harry Potter The Prisoner of Azkaban
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kperm.html
Latest Review: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog by Michelle Lander Feinberg

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker

Post by kperm »

Edwin Amah wrote:
> The book started with so much thrills and suspense, but the engagement
> reduced as the chapters went on. I love the story and the build up though,
> but I think the high tempo could have been maintained. I will rate it 3 out
> of 4 stars.

I agree with your rating. The book got worse towards the end. Some parts were way too slow. It would be amazing if the book maintained the high tempo. That way, the book would be much more exciting.
Allweind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allweind.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Allweind »

I gave this book a 3 out of 4 rating. It was a good book, but not a great book.
The beginning of the book was very slow, I almost gave up on it. It took to long to set the stage for the actual expedition to Zona.
The characters were believable, but erratic.
The interactions with the animals ended up being the best part. The humans were too flawed.
Crisis_12444
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crisis-12444.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Crisis_12444 »

I gave it three stars because it's the type of book where it starts interesting but then as it goes further in the story it regressed. The beginning was the only thing that I found quite interesting.
RKeinath
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rkeinath.html
Latest Review: The Dragon Pillars: Water & Fire by Sanzaki Kojika

Post by RKeinath »

I rate this 3 out of 4 as I really enjoyed the mysteries that are entangled in a story of discovering creatures of the Ice Age still surviving somewhere in the Siberian Arctic. I did not find it to be a slow-paced novel at all. I was intrigued from the beginning with if Randall is dead or not, the secrecy behind the expedition, and so on. I also really enjoyed that the creatures are different in their behaviors, and the incredible connections some make with humans. However, there were moments I rolled my eyes and went, "Enough with the sex. Get back to the land and creatures." So, that's where it became far less appealing, and why I will not read it again.

I still recommend this to others who enjoy science fiction, fantasy, and mystery as it is interesting, unique, and entertaining, for the most part.
MichelleV
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michellev.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by MichelleV »

I gave the book 3 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed the premise of the book and the continuous action but I felt as if it lacked a depth of character and description that I normally prefer in a story. The book kept me intrigued enough that I wanted to see how it ended, and that is always a positive in any book.
Chikom
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chikom.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Chikom »

According to me ,the first few chapters were a bit slow so as to familiarize the reader with the setting of the novel. I did not find any problem reading the book and i would give the book due credit for the style used in getting into the actual action!.
Mukukamm30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mukukamm30.html

Post by Mukukamm30 »

The starting of the novel was amazing, I had envisioned it the line of Indiana Jones, full of adventure and suspense and then it became sluggish. However, it proved to be a great read. So 3 out of 4 stars is fair enough.
Kenesha Latoya Fowler
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenesha-latoya-fowler.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible

Post by Kenesha Latoya Fowler »

The book started out very well; it got me interested. But the more I read, the less I liked. I struggled to read it owing to the slow pace. I didn't care much many of the characters, and I felt like a lot of the events were too unrealistic. Bottom line, I didn't like the book. I gave it 3 stars because, despite it not being to my enjoyment, the book still had some positive points. It was well-edited and the author managed to maintain some level of mystery throughout.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I would rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. It took a while for the plot to get off the ground but improved once the expedition started. The character development was well done and I am looking forward to reading the sequel. Science fiction fans would like the creation of Zona as a world where the author has free rein to create new animals and unexpected circumstances.
kalgaonkarsnehal
Favorite Author: Susan Elizabeth Phillips
Favorite Book: Wish You Well
Currently Reading: Connect the Dots
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalgaonkarsnehal.html
Latest Review: Effective R.U.L.E. by satish shitut
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 15638

Post by kalgaonkarsnehal »

I have just started reading this book! Can't wait to see how it ends. This book reminds me of a podcast named " Unexplained" that I heard refers to the "Dyatlov Pass" incident in Ural mountains in 1959. Of course, the book is a work of fiction, but it's giving me the chills!
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I will give it 4 out of 4, I love stories about expeditions to forbidden lands full of obstacles and dangerous animals. Suspense adds a large amount of excitement.
Chikom

Post by Chikom »

The book started in a high note, and ended in a low boring note. I think the author should have balanced the pace of the book to keep the reader glued to it.
Kelsey Fulton
Favorite Book: Villette
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsey-fulton.html
Latest Review: Man Shark by Gerald Knight
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Kelsey Fulton »

I quite enjoyed the first few chapters. Reading about the context of the story and Taylor's relationship with Uncle Randall was interesting, and I felt there were inklings of suspense. Godunov was especially mysterious. I particularly enjoy details, however, and am not bothered by a slow pace, but the unbelievability later on is a bit distracting. Anyway, I enjoy reading all your thoughts. :)
Divergent_2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-divergent-2020.html
Latest Review: Final Act by Van Fleisher

Post by Divergent_2020 »

I will rate this one 2 out of 4. Having read the author's previous books (Detective Lori Sanchez/Father montero Mystery series) I expected a way better story from him. I like reading sci-fi so I was excited to read this. But I found Zona very slow and boring. When the story started picking up, I started getting hooked to it but I found it too unbelievable at some places. There are some loose ends too, maybe the author will address them in its sequel.
Chikom

Post by Chikom »

The books slowly starts and picks up. I think this is to built up and familiarize the setting.

Return to “Discuss "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker”