Overall rating and opinion of "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker

Use this forum to discuss the July 2020 Book of the month, "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker.
Tia22
Currently Reading: Nadira
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tia22.html
Latest Review: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence by Jennie Linnane

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker

Post by Tia22 »

I just finished reading and reviewing this book and I have it 4 stars. I really enjoyed it. I am hoping the author writes a follow up book to see what happens next. There was action, passion, and uncommon animals. I was captivated through the whole story. It reminded me of many movies I have seen and it fit right in with what I like to read.
Michelle Menezes
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-menezes.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Michelle Menezes »

I just finished this book and I'm yet to write the review, but I give it 3 out of 4 stars. The part I liked was the mystery that surrounded the animals and their behaviour. What I didn't like was that some issues remained unsolved.
Sudasha Donatien
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sudasha-donatien.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Sudasha Donatien »

I am currently writing my review of this book, having just finished reading it. I think my rating will be 3 out of 4 stars, mainly because I really did not like Grant as a main protagonist. He was too 'wishy-washy' for me; too easily swayed by sex and women. Of course, sex is an important part of biology...but from the moment he met Irina, he was all over the place. Otherwise, the plot was great for the fantasy genre...who wouldn't love the ability to talk to animals?!
Komal Soni
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-komal-soni.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Komal Soni »

I reviewed this book last month and gave it a rating of three out of four stars. I found the first part pacy and easy to read. I was let down by the other two parts, however. The book went from being a fast-paced thriller in the first part to turning into an absurdist fantasy in the other two. The plotpoints seemed a bit forced to me and moved along expected lines-never fun in a thriller. I also felt that there were way too many loose ends. It seemed to me that the author had already decided to turn this title into a series and had deliberately not resolved a lot of the storylines. For me, that took away from the overall crispness and enjoyment of the book. I would only recommend it to those who enjoy reading fantasies.
Sandeep Moses
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandeep-moses.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Sandeep Moses »

I fell in love with this book. The amazing land of Zona with its varied plants and magnificent animals was just so inspiring. I wish there is a real place like Zona in our world. The story kept me on the edge of my seat. I was guessing often about how the plot might evolve. It was a wonderful read. I would surely read it again.
Prestige-best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prestige-best.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Prestige-best »

I will rate this book 3-stars based on the well-developed plot of the science expedition. The romance part of this book was so boring.
Shelby Ayres
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelby-ayres.html
Latest Review: The Wrong Side of the Room by Norman Mathews

Post by Shelby Ayres »

The start of the book is really slow, but I felt that it was necessary in order to plant the seeds of doubt. I really enjoyed this book. I thought it was very unique and thought out.
Ohna Martin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ohna-martin.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Ohna Martin »

I found it very disturbing that Dr. Grant Taylor chose to go into an unknown dangerous land with people he felt he cannot trust. Other than that I enjoyed reading the book. It was imaginative and adventurous.
Christell Lindeque
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 266
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christell-lindeque.html
Latest Review: The Big Necesscaries by Beth Weiler

Post by Christell Lindeque »

I liked the book a lot. The book took a while to explain the character's background before the real action started. He made the main character suspicious of everyone around him. Over all I enjoyed the book and felt like I was there with the characters when the action happened.
Donald Trust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-trust.html
Latest Review: Rosa by Barbara de la Cuesta

Post by Donald Trust »

This book was fascinating and contains no errors I will rate this book 4 stars. My only dislike was the sex scene which did not correspond with the main story.
kensgarment odogwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kensgarment-odogwu.html
Latest Review: Commercial Property Made Easy by Chris Lang

Post by kensgarment odogwu »

The first part of this book was very interesting and quite unpredictable to me. I am beginning to get bored at the second part of this book. I actually dislike the reoccurring sex scene and profanity contained in this book.However the suspense was amazing. I love that the characters were very much developed.I also love the adventures and expeditions. I will have to rate this book a 3 out of 4 stars.
Manik Chaturmutha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manik-chaturmutha.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Manik Chaturmutha »

The character building throughout the book is marvellous. Both the protagonists and the side characters play an equal and essential role in the search expedition, which is a plus. I liked the book because of its suspense element. It was engaging. However, this element goes amiss in the middle chapters. It does get bland and a bit boring. Because of that, I would give the book 3 out of 4 stars. Nevertheless, it deserves a read because it makes readers imagine every scene clearly. I would recommend Zona: The Forbidden Land to sci-fi and adventure lovers. Mystery lovers will also enjoy this book. I would suggest this book for the writer's authenticity.
Phooko Tebogo PC
Favorite Author: Walter E. Broach
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phooko-tebogo-pc.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe
fav_author_id: 202169

Post by Phooko Tebogo PC »

I loved almost everything about the book, hence I've rated it " 4 out of 4". It was so entertaining with its mystery and a bit of romance created an inclination for me. I could recommend it to matured adults, since it has sexual context.
"Live to leave a mark, the footprints of the greatest" :obscene-drinkingcheers:
~Phooko tebogo
Agbata precious
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-precious.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Agbata precious »

I rated this book 3 out of 4. At the beginning of this book, it was interesting but at some point it became boring.
Agbata precious
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-precious.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Agbata precious »

I rated this book 3 out of 4. At the beginning of this book, it was interesting but at some point it became boring.

Return to “Discuss "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker”